Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Close calls while driving?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Close calls while driving?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
clikrf8

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/13 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our 6 week trip we returned from in late October (has it been that long ago?), we had 2 close calls. The first one was an aspen we watched fall in slow motion on opposite side of the road as we drove by on the highway through the Snowy Range in Southern Wyoming. Hubby floored it and it just just cleared the bumper of our truck camper. Little traffic on the road thankfully. The second was a rock or solid piece of gypsum that hit the front of our camper with a very loud thud. Scared the $%^& out of us. An inspection revealed no damage. Later, at home when we were washing the truck/camper, we found a small ding. Close calls that could have been more serious. I won't even talk about the idiots who passed in dangerous situations, just inanimate objects.

Anybody else?

2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/13 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a maniac Canadian trucker come rushing up beside us in a lane that was ending and simply pull over onto us. We were fortunate that there was nobody on the other side of us so I was able to swerve into the next lane. It was a violent maneuver and I thought I may roll everything but we made it.
I have no idea what made him attack us like that. He seem to do it on purpose.

DW called police but they didn't care.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/13 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In many thousands of miles we only had one close call. Idiot was trying to pass me and found he didn't have the power or time before traffic bore down on him from the opposite direction. I had to head for the Dutch to prevent head on collision. Cut a tire to pieces and ruined an axle and the guy never even showed down. I'd STILL love to meet him some day.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/13 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't had any close calls, but when I was a teen, I was traveling with my mom and dad in a Pickup and TC. We were on a narrow curving mountain road with a guard rail and 200 foot cliff on the passenger side. A logging truck came from the opposite direction at a high rate of speed and couldn't negotiate the corner. He drifted into our lane. My dad swerved into the guard rail, and we though we were going over the cliff. The truck went by, and we survived.

A mile or so down the road, there was a pull out and we decided we needed a break to catch our breath. There was some minor scrapes on the passenger side from the guard rail, but on the left rear of the TC, my dad's CB antenna mast had been ripped off the TC by the truck. It only stuck out about 2 inches, so we were that close to death. It still frightens me today to think about it.

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/13 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Southbound I-75 a few years ago some fool in a little pickup cut me off trying to make his exit lane. I just missed taking his rear end out by a couple of feet. Out west we were next to a concrete hauler that had an explosive blow out of a tire while right next to me. The trailer fender went straight up and landed somewhere behind us in traffic and the pieces of the tire went all over the place like shrapnel. I managed to straddle a huge piece by driving slightly onto the improved shoulder. Then there was the time I was at a Civil War re-enactment in Tennessee and we had bedded down for the night. I was still awake lying on my blanket when I heard a loud snap, cracking sound. A huge tree limb landed a few feet from where we were lying just missing us.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

heading to the beach, we were in on a 4 lane nearing our destination.

A very old little lady barely seeing above the dashboard pulled out into our lane, stopped, straining to look past our big mega truck barreling down on her to see if the 2nd lane was clear, hubby slammed brakes and then she shot across onto the other side. We missed her by a hair. We were going to T-bone her directly into her driver door. SHE WAS LUCKY she hit the gas and moved cause we barely could have made a stop without hitting her she pulled out so close.

Hubby was livid after the fact spouting about #%@& drivers and I told him it is over, no one hurt and just forget it.

WHY don't people see a red dodge 2500 mega truck and 38.7 foot toyhauler barreling at them and do they think we can stop on a dime??? I just don't get it

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming around a semi i, i almost caught a road gator. Fortunaty i had enough room to whip it around and not catch it with anything. However the drawers in the kids bedroom flew out and on the floor. No damage, only cleaning clothes off the floor.

Did tag a bird with the front bumper of our old van around Flathead Lake in MT. Rung like a church bell!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 12yrs
Daughter Marissa 11yrs
Dog Shadow

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese HP dualcam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two springs ago on our way down to Asheville we had 2 close calls within a few miles of each other. Both southbound on I-81 between Wytheville and Kingsport.

First we were about to pass a semi and right in the middle of the passing lane was a case of beer - had to slam on brakes and whip back into the right lane. Another semi had just sailed over it when it came into view, but that wouldn't have been the case with us... Second there was a semi with a flat open bed with something on it covered with a big white sheet of plastic. As we were driving behind it the sheet came loose and floated up into the air - I just knew that it was going to wrap itself across our windshield (besides tangling up around our wheels) and we wouldn't be able to see a thing or control a thing at 65 mph. Again we slammed on the brakes and swerved into the other lane.

Things like that make me very happy that my DH is a wonderful driver and quick thinker! (Also very glad we have our Hensley.)

Trip Pics

"Are you sleeping.... Can you hear me?" Harry Nilsson

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think in 40 years of RV'g; a year went by with out a very close serious
accident happening. Sometimes putting us with in less than 10 seconds of being statistics. Almost all of them were carelessness, or total lack of consideration for other drivers on the road. Excessive speed, and just plain stupid.

12rvjoe

ont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/13 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While heading to MB in the spring of 06 we were going through Pittsburgh when in a flash I saw a car ahead shoot across the road from the right to the left. The car had entered the Southbound lanes using an exit ramp and was heading Northbound. He made it across the road and on to the left shoulder and flew by us so close I could see him clearly. I don't know how he never caused a massive wreck. Someone was looking out for us ......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Close calls while driving?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS