Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Replaying to emails while in rv park
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Replaying to emails while in rv park

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/13 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sure this has been asked before but the search feature did not find it.....Is there a simple way to reply to emails while at an rv park? Changing the settings on the lap top is not an option because I would need to do it every day. It has always been a matter of just waiting till we got home to reply to those emails we received while away from home. But we are going to go on a trip of a couple of months duration and need to reply to some emails we receive and all the rv parks we have ever stayed in blocked outgoing emails to prevent their server from sending out spam. Is there a gadget that would hook to the lap top that would utilize our cell signal to reply to emails?

2oldman

Quincy WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/13 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Vaughn wrote:

all the rv parks we have ever stayed in blocked outgoing emails to prevent their server from sending out spam.
Well that's a first. It's probably a setting in your email, not the park. Someone will respond with more detail as I do not know much more than that.

I'm sure you've read tons of posts about tethering or hotspotting your phone. Is that your question?

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/13 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on your email provider, I would think webmail would be an option.

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/13 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Extensive travels in the west and have never run into that. Whenever we can get email can always reply/send. Just where are those places that block you?

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/13 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the VERIZON MIFI INTERNET setup. Gives me Internet hotspot for five WIFI enabled devices including my laptops and tablets etc...

I use an home email account like NETZERO that I can send and receive emails anywhere I am connected to the internet.

Also my local Internet Provider home email account server has a web access where I can gain access to my email account and send/receive emails. I think it even has a 800 number land line connection which I have never used.

I haven't messed with camp ground or strange WIFI HOT SPOT internet connections for years now... Much better to carry you own safe internet connections with you... Verizon has best network coverage for us to use...

I carry my same DELL M90 LAPTOP with me that is used at the home internet connection. Everything is pretty much the same where ever I log-in at... My LAPTOP has DOCKING STATION capability so I just snap it into the Home Docking station or into the RV Docking Station when on the road... Operations all looks the same at both ends... The only difference for emails is I have to access the home server web site connections if I am not using the cable connections at home.

Check with your local gurus to setup something similar.

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

danoren

Where ever I Camp

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/13 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I do not understand the question,
I have e-mail from Gmail.com and wherever I find a HOT SPOT i can use the laptop exactly like at home,read and answer e-mails,surf the net,use my skype and so on.

F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Good Sam,TomTom GO720
Website

rbrand

Victoria, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/13 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my many years of travel. I've never experienced an RV park that blocked outgoing mail???

The less you plan the more options you have.

GMC Sierra HD 2500 Duramax
Jayco Eagle 28l

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/13 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your email provider?
I doubt that the park has blocked emails. Do they require an access code to get into their WIFI system?
Yes, you can get on many cell phones internet. What is your cell provider and what phone do you have?
We use Verizon air cards, here at the house and on the road.
Virgin network offers web through cell type service. It looks a little less expensive then Verizon but I don't know what kind of coverage they have.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/13 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, you can't use an e-mail client program like MS-Mail, Eudora, etc to send e-mail, away from home. It has to do with how (just about every) mail-server is setup. You can receive e-mail just fine, but not send.
It has to do with authenticating users, SPAM etc. Basically the way e-mail was created it was assumed that any time you "sent" e-mail, it was OK and there was no reason to authenticate you as a legit user.
Then along came SPAMers and a method needed to be added, the fix that was put into Sendmail (the most common Unix program for sending e-mail) was that your "IP" (your internet address) had to be one "owned" by provider. At home your "IP" is owned by your provider, at a campground your "IP" is owned by their provider, so your providers e-mail programs will not let you, they don't know you are you, and not some SPAMer.

So just use your providers Webmail interface when on the road.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/13 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having rv'd for 47 years and computing for 15 years and staying in 50 or so parks I have never been able to reply to or send an email thru the park's wi-fi.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Replaying to emails while in rv park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS