Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Home security while away
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Home security while away

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/13 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all--looking for suggestions as to how to prevent a break in while away. Our Pennsylvania summer place was burglarized recently while we are here in Florida. We have been lucky in the past that this has not happened before I guess. We are away for six months at a time and put everything away and lock up tight, but this time it wasn't enough. Thieves took stuff, but thankfully didn't vandalize or burn. I have some broken windows to attend to in the spring and "stuff to replace. We turn off all utilities while away so a security system wouldn't work and we are out in the boonies anyway. Afraid if I board up, it will look like an abandoned building and the results will be worse. What can I do to prevent a reoccurrence? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

chartrue2@aol.com

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/13 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here it is the good neighbor policy to keep you home setup looking like it is being used.... Not much you can do when you are 1500 miles away anyway...

With todays CELL PHONE APPS you can do all kinds of things with your unoccupied house.

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

portscanner

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/13 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You cannot prevent a break in. You can only make yourself less of a target.

Leave the utilities on. Put lights on timers. If the house can be seen from a street, cut down large bushes so the outside of the house is visible. Encourage/Invite friends and neighbours to park their cars in the driveway, use the (outside) of the property, or even use the house itself. Set up a 50 amp connection and a connection to the septic system and encourage some fellow posters from RV.net to hang out at your place. Put a small travel trailer on the property and rent it out. Make the rent payments to be utilities plus cost of any damage to the house.

Or you can go the other way...put up bars on the windows and doors, razor wire and land mines, dig a moat and put in alligators. But even this with an alarm will not prevent vandalism. Alarms dont stop spray paint, rocks and molotov cocktails.

You cant prevent a break in. You can only encourage the scumbags to go somewhere else easier.

One beautiful wife, two brittney spaniels
2011 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed auto, 3.73 rear end
Torklift Stableloads, Superhitch, Torklift Tiedowns
2002 Alpenlite 1150
2005 Jeep Liberty toad w/ ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute
Web Site

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/13 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are worried about theft then there is not much that can be done. If a theif just wants 'stuff' then they can enter, pack and steal, and be gone with most of the valuables in less than 10 minutes.

Since your home is 'out in the boonies' an alarm would only make noise and whomever breaks in would be gone before the LEO could arrive.

You might want to use motion detector cameras to capture whomever is doing this and use it to prosecute after the fact but I don't think you will be able to stop someone in the act or prevent if from happening.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.

04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy Controller
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

tegu69

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/13 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like motion activated floodlights. I don't get the turning off the electricity. What are you really saving with that.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/13 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The short answer is this, you can buy insurance. The real answer is the same as everyone that has a second home already knows. I am sure you are already taking the sensible precautions, after that, there is nothing more you can do. Ours was broken into last winter. There was nothing worth taking so i am sure out of spite they knocked the thermostat of the wall. So we replaced the thermostat and fixed the front door they had broken down. Life goes on. P.S. - our yard is fully lighted, I'm sure they thought about that for about 1.3 seconds before they kicked the front door in.

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/13 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I heard once of a guy that posted signs all over the property saying that there were Diamond Back Rattle Snakes on the property and anyone entering could be bitten and die.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/13 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rent the house or have a house sitter. Out in the boonies makes it a target. A theif will case a place and see no traffic. You can put in a camera system that will call your cell if it detects motion. Around here a lot of people who live in the country have more problems with that, they know people will leave for work and not be back until after 5. The same theif that took your stuff knows you might have new replacement stuff as well.

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/13 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the suggestions. We have been doing this for a long time and know the risks. We have good neighbors who watch our house. There is no local police protection, only state troopers who are about 20 minutes away. Please keep the suggestions coming as it might spark an idea that we haven't yet tried.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/13 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a security system is a basic starter.

I live in the boonies and am quite pleased with the sheriff dept.

besides that, if you have no intrusion system, how will you ever know such things as the bad guy left the door open in the middle of the winter?

I will never be without the system. It even calls in if the sump pump malfunctions or the temp in the house gets above or below my setting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Home security while away
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS