Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Verterans& Retirees benifits
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Verterans& Retirees benifits

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
southbound

Forsyth GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/13 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To all my fellow camping vererans and military retirees, Noticed about the closing of commissaries. That not all the Congressional Budget Office wants to cut. Defense Department and the COB want tocut Concurrent receipt pay and other veterans benefits. Increase Tri care
Read, all the cuts they want to do in last weeks Navy Times. At this rate it will be the 70's all over again, when ships could not go out to sea due to not enough money. Yet the Congressional Budget Office keeps all their benifits, good salaries, which come from us and outside companies.
Sorry for ranting about this but have no where else to vent and I know there are a lot of military out there in the camping world.

Southbound

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/13 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the "rant" More an more is getting taken away or which was part of the deal in return for serving. I have never been inside any VA, American Legion or VFW but belong to all 3. My "PAC" you might say.
DOD not your best friend and in Congress, if they vote against VETS I vote against them.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/13 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah they like photo ops showing respect to VETS and then take away anything that helps VETS and their families while they enjoy Cadillac benes.

Makes me want to puke. I hate politicians and the teat suckers at DOD

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/13 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that the military was deemed excessive and needed to be reduced in scope and nature, per 2007 interviews. You reap what you sow..........

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

74vette

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/13 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a Viet Nam vet and retired in November 2012 . In the beginning of this year, I started volunteering at a local Vet Center for a program called Healing Waters. We help local vets of any age learn to tie flies and fly fish our local waters. I was taken back at the amount of time it took these vets to receive their benefits. They come back from a war and face what they call the 1,000 day war, time required to receive benefits. I hope we can change this as it poses a great hardship on our veterans. Now I am off my soap box.

Bigrick

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/13 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your only recourse may be to make changes in November 2014 and 2016.

2007 Dutchmen 28F GS
2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD 5.7L V-8

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/13 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just like in WY. The politicians do lots of photo ops and on vet days they say how much they appreciae your service. Then they vote against military benefits. Shameful. This is typical of political whores. I am totally ashamed of our politicians. Their total goal is to get elected and qualify for a plush retirement. They could care less about thiis country. I have begun to wonder what has become of this great country.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/13 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's there suggestions but up to congress to approve. I don't think we'll see any more fam-camps built or upgrades for a while even though these bring in money to MWR on the base.

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/13 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Until the two political parties quit being afraid of extremist in their parties, NO negotiations and NO budgets will be approved. So, sequestration will continue to cause problems, especially for us in the middle trying to survive financially.

Off my box!

calewjohnson

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/13 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will say this, I am currently active duty, and have been for 18 years. While I believe that the benefits I was promised when I joined should be honored, I also believe that something has to be done to offset the costs of people and operations. Today, 60 cents of every dollar in our budget goes to personnel (retired and active duty). As we move into the future, that will not be sustainable. We (US Navy) currently have 285 ships, short of the 300 goal we would like to have, I doubt we will ever get back to that number since we do not have a conflict to support that size of a fleet.

From what I can say, there will be a change to retirement coming down the pipe. More of a 401k approach and not needing to stay for a full 20. Is it right? Sure, I know of a lot of folks who cut and run before the 10 year mark because anything more than 10, you may as well do 20. That kind of thinking has kept a lot of mediocre folks in, instead of the knowledgeable technicians I have seen get out.

Next thing, Tri-Care for Lifeā€¦.I may get blasted for saying this, but I think that the premiums should be increased for that benefit. Two really good friends of mine, both retired LtCOL types, pay only $200 or so a year for the benefit. A real steal for such a benefit.

There are many hard questions that need to be asked when looking at our benefits. A pragmatic approach will ensure we do not end up with the failing pensions like some large companies. We can stay on this course of spending and end up with nothing in the end, or we can start trying to fix the problem before it become unrecoverable.

Just my 2 cents.

Cale

2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), Ford OEM Curt Q24 Hitch
New: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Verterans& Retirees benifits
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: