Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Two Space Heaters on 30A FW
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Two Space Heaters on 30A FW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to the IL's for Thanksgiving, staying at their local city park for several days. The lows for two nights will be 26 degrees or so and I plan on using two 1500W space heaters while connected to 50A using my 50A-30A dog bone.

Should I be concerned using other items such as the microwave or is it life as normal?

I'm questioning the 30A main panel connection. The house power cable will be on the cold ground so it should handle a little overloading without concern. I hope to have the heaters on separate breakers so I'm good there. Is there anything I should be worried about?

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2020# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would still run the furnace as that is the only way to keep the plumbing in the basement from freezing.

Where I Am Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W ARRL VE FT DX2000

Steve
1999 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Cooper . . . The Aussie-Doodle

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll have the furnace running to warm things up and while we are up. At bed time I plan on backing the furnace down a little, leave the gray valve open, placing the shower head on the shower deck and drip the cold water there. The HW side should be OK. Yes/No?

I'm treading new territory here!

SolidAxleDurango

OK, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When at a 30 amp supply and running electric heat.... I run one space heater on high, and another on low (check wattage of your specific heater - they vary)....

When it's time to make coffee or run the microwave, I temporarily shut off the heater that is set on high.

I set the furnace at 50 or so as a backup.

TV = 07 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / QC-LB / CTD / G56 / 3.73 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 )

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have the propane heater setup for backup - set to a low 40-50 Degree setting.

We can get away with using two 1500WATT OIL-FILLED heaters on our 30AMP setup but never set high than than 3 on the heat setting. Running high setting ends up tripping our breaker.

Your RV30A to 50A dogbone Adapter will feed both legs of the RV Trailer Power Distribution ok but just be aware there you will not have 50AMPs of service available. You will have to watch what is turned on at the same time...

NOTE the two HOT LEGS are strapped together using the standard RV30A-50A Dogbone Adapter providing 120VAC to your two zones in your 50AMP Distribution panel...

Typical two zone 50AMP Trailer 120VAC Distribution

Photos from GOOGLE search

Another thing we do that works out great for us is to run an additional extension cord out the 20AMP Pedstal COnnection just for our space heaters. These will be on the 20AMP Pedestal Breaker and NOT be affected by anything you are doing on the trailer breaker panels.

AS always - be sure to check for heat build-up when using adapters.

Roy Ken

* This post was edited 11/26/13 05:09am by RoyB *

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB >> As always, I love your illustrations. However, I have a 30A distribution panel. I was planning to connect to the 50A service at the pedestal to give me that little extra. Am I seeing this correctly? Will I have 50A available using my 50A-30A dog bone feeding a 30A distribution panel? Basically drawing off of one side of the 50A breaker at the pedestal?

SolidAxleDurango

OK, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

RoyB >> As always, I love your illustrations. However, I have a 30A distribution panel. I was planning to connect to the 50A service at the pedestal to give me that little extra. Am I seeing this correctly? Will I have 50A available using my 50A-30A dog bone feeding a 30A distribution panel? Basically drawing off of one side of the 50A breaker at the pedestal?

If you have a 30 amp RV, you have a limit of 30 amp electrical consumption regardless of what you plug into.... 30 amp or 50 amp... Your main panel 30 amp breaker is going to limit your consumption to just that.

You have nothing to gain by plugging in to a 50 amp circuit using an adaptor.... EXCEPT maybe that a 30 amp receptacle at the campground might get more use... And it might be worn or "dirty" due to silly humans plugging and un-plugging their RV while under load (causes small arc).

LynnandCarol

Fieldon, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't turn a 30amp system into a 50 amp system.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That does change things abit but doable...

This is how the standard 50A to 30A Adapter is wired up. It just grabs one leg of the 50AMP source to run your 30A Distribution Panel.

Since only one leg of the 50AMP service is connected than there will not be any 240VAC present on the trailer side.

This shows what voltages are present on a typical 50AMP Service

All photos from GOOGLE search

We do this alot at camp grounds as most of the folks are all on the 30AMP wring and sometimes loading down the camp site pretty bad. We get better voltage by plugging into the 50AMP side.

The only downside to doing this is the shore power cable from the pedstal to the RV trailer may not be heavy duty enough for the 50AMP service if a short occurs in the shore power cable between the trailer and the 50AMP connection. i.e. the 50AMP Pedstal will provide protection for the 50AMP service and the trailer 30AMP Distribution Panel will only provide protection for a 30AMP Service.

Roy Ken

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SolidAxleDurango wrote:

2112 wrote:

If you have a 30 amp RV, you have a limit of 30 amp electrical consumption regardless of what you plug into.... 30 amp or 50 amp... Your main panel 30 amp breaker is going to limit your consumption to just that.

You have nothing to gain by plugging in to a 50 amp circuit using an adaptor.... EXCEPT maybe that a 30 amp receptacle at the campground might get more use... And it might be worn or "dirty" due to silly humans plugging and un-plugging their RV while under load (causes small arc).

BINGO!
That is the bread crumb on this trail I missed. Good Point.

Well darn. I'll set them to 1200W. This leaves me ~10A for everything else. I will have to power manage after all.

Thanks guys. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

* This post was edited 11/26/13 07:17am by 2112 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Two Space Heaters on 30A FW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: