Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Why is Camping World so EXPENSIVE?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why is Camping World so EXPENSIVE?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just about anything Camping World sells online can be found cheaper elsewhere on the internet, even when they have it on sale, for the same thing. When I say cheaper, I mean a LOT cheaper. I could show links to all kinds of examples, but here is just one typical example. Ultra-Fab Eliminator braces. CW is $359.99 (on sale) + $40 for shipping. One well-known online RV vendor has it for $259.80 (regular price) with free shipping. It goes on and on like this.

Access to products and pricing is so readily available nowadays because of the internet. Who is CW trying to fool with their inflated prices? Once in a while, you can find a good price from CW, but it's the exception. We just bought an Adco cover from them because they had the best price we could find.

Even their website layout is time-consuming and awkward to navigate through. If you want to do a quick scan to find any potential deals, you've got to go through pages and pages of items. Personally, I can't be bothered. Often times as well, the item description is lacking adequate technical info.

And then they have seemingly endless sales with a deadline of only days away making it *seem* like you better buy stuff PDQ or you'll lose out.

All I can say is RV-ers, pay attention and shop around for better deals. Use google.... Camping World, smarten up.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS
2009 F250 - V10, supercab, 4WD, 8' bed
Reese Strait-line DC WDH

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You opinion not mine

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't do much buying from CW but they have actual storefronts that need to be paid for. Does your well known online RV vendor have an actual building?

I'm not defending CW's prices, but knowing they have a physical storefront to support can help explain their higher prices. I've been known to buy something from the local RV dealer, which is much higher than online resources, just because I can see it, handle it, and have it when I need it, not in 3-5 days.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

falconman

On The Road!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your making it sound like CW is the only retailer with inflated Internet pricing. I can understand that CW has many stores to support while others operate with less overhead. I use CW when its convenient
for me. While their in-store pricing may not always be the cheapest, they do keep a pretty good stock on hand. I do agree about surfing or searching on their website that it is not very user friendly.

GoPackGo

Wandering Aimlessly

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing you can do - Join Good Sam.

Among other things that will give you free shipping on purchases over $99.

There are other benefits - 10% discount at lots of campgrounds, etc. Take a look at their website for the whole enchilada.

Now I will not try and defend CW BUT, they need to pay for those stick and brick stores they have scattered all over. It's a huge convenience for me to be able to walk into a store and be able to walk out with what I need RIGHT NOW. And I like to look at and fondle things before I buy them and you sure can't do that on-line.

It's real easy for someone to hang out a shingle on-line and sell a narrow range of products or really just act as a storefront for a million other vendors. It's kind of an unfair comparison. And yes, I do know there are several on-line retailers that do a great job. It's all good - I use both.

But I will also say that I regularly contribute to Amazon's bottom line.

Disclaimer - No connection to CW or Good Sam. I joined up because it saves me saves money !

Tim

FLman2

Port Richey, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

You opinion not mine

X2

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every large business has an actual building. However, some fill them with computers. Others still try to operate like a busness could be run 50 years ago. CW is not the only one on that list. Monkey Wards, Sears, JC Penneys are other examples. Management refuses to modernize. For some it is almost too late in the game to change. They just flounder along hoping to make some profits. Some people don't price before they buy. 25 years ago CW had a vey good name. Not as large but the same as the others mentioned. These companies lose market share slowly. The problem exists long before management sees the problem.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

big bird 2

La Crescenta, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, as I recall Wal-Mart has stick and brick and pays minimum wage!

Big Bird 2

RangerJay

Northern Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a few favourite "go to" stores that I find hard to pass up (kinda like a kid in a candy store .....) - at home (Canada) those stores are Canadian Tire and Home Depot - and when in the U.S. those stores are Menards and Camping World (maybe throw in BassPro Shops and Cabelas as well).

My own impression with Camping World is that it generally has far better prices - and a much wider selection of choice - than our own Canadian RV dealers.

And for arm-chair internet shopping? - well - that's OK if I know exactly what it is that I want - but if I don't (most of the time) - then I do a lot better if I can touch, feel and compare ....

Thanks,

Jay

2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FLman2 wrote:

rr2254545 wrote:

You opinion not mine

X2

Every time I check, CW has higher prices than anyone else. It's as if they don't realize there's an internet out there with an abundance of choices.
If smaller, one store on line retailers can have lower prices then CW with its buying power should be able to do better.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why is Camping World so EXPENSIVE?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS