Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Brining your bird's br*ast...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Brining your bird's br*ast...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/13 12:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowleles asked about anodization, "That process is so expensive that AIRSTREAM stopped doing it on their very expensive trailers. In what universe would the Chinese be doing it to ten-dollar aluminum cookware?"
In our experience, all aluminum cookware sold for decades is and has been anozided to minimize oxidation from alkaline or acid exposure. Folks wanting to brine or acidify food might want to get a 2nd opinion before making a decision. I'm not an expert or anything, just a science professional who relies on research findings...and opinions from THIS website!

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/13 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tplife wrote:

Francesca Knowleles asked about anodization

No, she didn't.

And it's "Knowles", by the way...

As for the rest:
All aluminum cookware isn't anodized, and even if it were, that process only results in corrosion resistance- not "proofness". Aluminum, like copper, is a reactive metal. Cooking experts everywhere continue to advise that such metals not be used for brining purposes. Here's a quote from one such source

Foster Farms wrote:

Equipment & Ingredients

Clean, food-grade plastic, stainless steel, glass or other heavy-duty container made of non-corrosive material, and large enough to hold the turkey and about 8 quarts of water (DO NOT use aluminum containers because they are corrosive)

* This post was edited 11/28/13 09:16am by Francesca Knowles *

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/13 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever. "Non-reactive" means: no untreated aluminum and no cast That's the point of anodization, whether a tent pole or a pot (top of the line). A 20-pound bird only needs a 10-hour brine (saturated sodium chloride solution) and no damage to the bird, taste, or people eating will result. The pot can get a hazy appearance, but it will get that anyway if you use it boiling spaghetti or clams, or lobsters for example. I have several of these pots, all anodized, in sizes to crazy big because we love clams and lobsters and make giant batches of things like chili to save time (have a giant dedicated freezer) and no worries. Again, Good grief!?! If you trust Foster Farms, try eating their chickens without cooking them and get back to me.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/13 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tplife wrote:

If you trust Foster Farms, try eating their chickens without cooking them and get back to me.

If you can find any Foster Farms representative that recommends eating their birds uncooked, I'll eat your hat. RAW!

And follow your recommendations instead of theirs to boot...

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/13 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The difference between my advice and theirs is nobody got sick from my product...yet!

Foster Farms

But you have fire in your belly - and I like that!

* This post was edited 12/03/13 02:52pm by tplife *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Brining your bird's br*ast...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS