Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Actual driving speeds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Actual driving speeds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/13 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it would be helpful for a lot of people to know what the local acceptable speeds are.
We all know 55 is a fantasy, so what do you really drive at home.

Central NY is good for 57 to 63. Faster can draw attention.

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/13 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think this post is a fantasy since 'acceptable' speeds usually depend on what your radar detector is telling you.

Personally, I don't have a detector and always tow under the speed limit, sometimes as low as (gasp) 55, depending on road, weather and traffic conditions.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/13 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While driving RVs ? Pulling TTs S ? Or just normal driving of vehicles ?

2010 Flagstaff 26RLS
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
2006 Toyota Tundra D/C (sold)
The whole family,
Cold ones in the cooler, good times ahead.

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/13 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to Tarpon Springs,fl from Ocala,fl last week and drove in the "slow lane" @ 75 mph. &0 speed limit. Most in the center were running about 85 and the fast lane about 100 mph.

charles weidman

tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/13 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I find myself on a freeway or major highway with a 55mph limit, I'll typically drive up to 60 but not over.

On stretches with higher limits, I typically run my rig between 62 and 68 depending on conditions and the amount of ground I have to cover.

But in general, regardless of what I am driving, I typically drive a little slower than the average speed of drivers around me so I don't have to keep changing lanes to pass. I find this less stressful and more enjoyable.

Of course if you asked me 30 years ago, I would have said my speed limit was the car in front of me!

Roaming Full Timer
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Don & Carolyn

Mnnesota/Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/13 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulling the 5th wheel, we go 55 - 60. Just the truck without the RV, we go 60 - 65. We are conscious of fuel consumption at different speeds so we choose to drive slower because we get better mileage.

Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
2009 Arctic Fox 27-5L

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/13 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm talking about non towing local intrastate surface street driving.
Many, in fact almost every time I go camping I set up hang out and then decide to go to a restaurant or other attraction in a nearby town.
I get on the road. I have driven 55 and had people pass me like I was standing still, I have driven 55 and I am the one running up on people. Some municipalities out there are really stingy with the signs.

I am asking: How fast is the norm in your daily life

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/13 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a bunch of pokies!

With the 5er and the Endura we'd average 50-60 depending on conditions.

As far as in just a car, around here speed limits are suggestions. Average speed on I495 is about 75, I90 about 70, I290 about 65, I95/Rt 128 IF moving 60-70 depending on what stretch of road you are on. The main road that goes through town has a 30-35 mph speed limit through most of it and is supposed to be a one-lane road. It averages 45 with two lanes of traffic.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/13 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

I'm talking about non towing local intrastate surface street driving.
Many, in fact almost every time I go camping I set up hang out and then decide to go to a restaurant or other attraction in a nearby town.
I get on the road. I have driven 55 and had people pass me like I was standing still, I have driven 55 and I am the one running up on people. Some municipalities out there are really stingy with the signs.

I am asking: How fast is the norm in your daily life
The posted speed limit or less. It is my money, my job, my safety etc. that is on the line. Nothing in life is that important that you need to hurry unless you drive a proper marked vehicle and are in a life and death situation. In 52 years I have never been hit from behind nor have I hit anyone.

2004.5 Dodge 2500ctd Quadcab. Lariamie, 3.73, auto. pure stock
2005 Montana 2955 5er

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/13 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speed limits between my house and the DC Beltway vary from 35 mph to 55 mph. People drive about 80 mph. I generally drive 70, and feel like my life is in danger not because I am speeding, but because the flow of traffic is blasting past me like I am standing still.

Even on our narrow twisty 2-lane blind curve every 400' roads, people drive way too fast and pass dangerously. If I can pull over and let them pass, I do, but there are stretches for 5-10 miles where there is zero shoulder, trees up to the road that get their branches sheared off by traffic. No way to pull over there. I've had people pass me and the 4 cars ahead of me, without having a clue what is coming around the curve, over the hill, etc.

I have learned what the posted speed limits are on our local roads. I don't need the GPS for them. But in unfamiliar territory, I generally drive the speed the GPS says, unless the flow of traffic forces me faster. I know the GPS is not 100% accurate, so I am always alert for speed limit signs.

On any interstate, once I am away from a metro area and the traffic thins out, I usually drive between 70-75ish.

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Actual driving speeds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS