Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Heat tape causes fire
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Heat tape causes fire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

Senior Member

Joined: 03/15/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/13 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The part of Oregon I live in has a lot of people living in rural atmosphere. they have private wells and they use heat tape to keep these wells from freezing up during these cold spells like we are having here. during my 30 years on the fire dept I have seen many pump houses burn up during the winter months and they all seem to burn up in the middle of the night. recently in Pendleton Oregon a company wrapped the water pipe in their storage facility with a heat tape and they installed it wrong. they over lapped the tape and also wrapped the pipe with a blanket like the one you have on your bed. it over heated and the blanket was the first fatality the shed was the next one. I have over the years been posting here on the forum to keep you from having a problem to read the directions on the package before you do any wrapping and be sure to buy the right length of tape for the job. please learn from others mistakes and don't burn up your nice TT's

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/13 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to know!
Do you think it would get too hot if one were to use something like Gorilla tape along the bottom of the heat strip to keep it all against the pipe?


Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

down home

south

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/13 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used heat tapes, in the well house, in the seventies and some of the eighties.
Hope it don't get that cold again.
Really sealed up the well house and installed solid insulation board with foil on one side around the blocks, inside. That with a big tank it seldom got cold enough long enough to be concerned but installed a plug and a heater set to cut off at somewhere around40 degrees, maybe. No markings on the thermostat as to degrees.
Hope the Folks that bought our home enjoy it as much as we did.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2011

View Profile



Posted: 12/09/13 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yet another testament to folks' failure to follow directions- every heat tape's maker strictly (and in writing) cautions against that practice. And yet, as noted by the O.P., every year one reads about someone ignoring the warnings.

Will we ever learn????


" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 11/22/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 12/09/13 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 75 years old nothing much amazes me any more when they have to write on labels that I can't use a hair dryer in my bathtub or shower. I do wonder sometimes though what these kids are learning in school. When I was a kid my parents didn't cover AC outlets. They just said NO and I listened. So I still am wondering what part of NO do these kids not understand? Use heat tape correctly and golly gee no problems.


2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.


ScottG

Bothell Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/13 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

When I was a kid my parents didn't cover AC outlets. They just said NO and I listened. So I still am wondering what part of NO do these kids not understand? Use heat tape correctly and golly gee no problems.


Well sir your brain (and mine I hope) has this thing called "common sense".
Our contemporaries have replaced this portion of the brain with video game prowess.

ronniedean1234

Washington State

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/09/13 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in the plumbing business years ago and in the crawl space on a home was piped wrapped with heat tape, then news paper, last but not least burlap over that held on with string, went there to thaw pipes out and found that a section had already caught fire at some point in time and smothered it self out I guess, definitely a fire waiting to happen......you can't fix stupid I guess...


2012 Montana 3800RE/Level Up/Slide Toppers/MoRyde Hitch
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped


Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2011

View Profile



Posted: 12/09/13 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ronniedean1234 wrote:

I was in the plumbing business years ago and in the crawl space on a home was piped wrapped with heat tape, then news paper, last but not least burlap over that held on with string,

But-
Surely you don't mean to say that there's something wrong with this arrangement!?!?!?!?

We Few True Red-Blooded Amurricans still manning the don't-tread-on-me Bulwarks of Freedom heap foul scorn on the notion that we can't burn down our houses by whatever means we choose!!!!!!


.....................................................................

westend

all over

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2011

View Profile


Online
Posted: 12/09/13 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

At 75 years old nothing much amazes me any more when they have to write on labels that I can't use a hair dryer in my bathtub or shower. I do wonder sometimes though what these kids are learning in school. When I was a kid my parents didn't cover AC outlets. They just said NO and I listened. So I still am wondering what part of NO do these kids not understand? Use heat tape correctly and golly gee no problems.
My Dad, the Master Electrician, taught me a valuable lesson about electricity under the Christmas tree when I was about 3 or 4. While Dad was trying to find the bad bulb in a string of the old series connected light bulbs, I wanted to get involved. My Mom, seeing what I was doing, shouted at Dad to watch out for me as I was about to stick my finger in a bulb socket. Dad, without a hint of concern said,"Go ahead, put your finger in there".

Besides all the rest that he taught me, it was one lesson that I am eternally grateful to have been taught. Thanks, Dad!

Yes, one has to be very cautious when using an electrical heating device. I know there are many tragedies every winter in our State from using electric space heaters, too.


'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

slickest1

canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/09/13 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

WyoTraveler wrote:

At 75 years old nothing much amazes me any more when they have to write on labels that I can't use a hair dryer in my bathtub or shower. I do wonder sometimes though what these kids are learning in school. When I was a kid my parents didn't cover AC outlets. They just said NO and I listened. So I still am wondering what part of NO do these kids not understand? Use heat tape correctly and golly gee no problems.
My Dad, the Master Electrician, taught me a valuable lesson about electricity under the Christmas tree when I was about 3 or 4. While Dad was trying to find the bad bulb in a string of the old series connected light bulbs, I wanted to get involved. My Mom, seeing what I was doing, shouted at Dad to watch out for me as I was about to stick my finger in a bulb socket. Dad, without a hint of concern said,"Go ahead, put your finger in there".

Besides all the rest that he taught me, it was one lesson that I am


eternally grateful to have been taught. Thanks, Dad!

Yes, one has to be very cautious when using an electrical heating device. I know there are many tragedies every winter in our State from using electric space heaters, too.


That gave me a good laugh. I agree with the common sense not being used anymore. As a kid I learned a few of those kind of lessons. When you heard a firm NO you knew if you didn't listen it would hurt. It was just easier to listen and obey.


2000 H.R. Imperial 38wds rr8r roadmaster, isc 350 cummins
2007 Chevy Trailblazer, Blue ox towbar
Ready Brake with breakaway.


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Heat tape causes fire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS