Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Dealers not wanting to do warranty work.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dealers not wanting to do warranty work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Handyman Service in our area. It is a one man operation that fills a void in our small community. I do RV repairs when called among all the other stuff I do. There is no RV dealer of any kind in our area, the closest is over an hour away, if you know the roads. We are on the west side of Table Rock Lake, a vacation destination for RVs as well as weekenders. I was called upon by a weekender that has his Forrest River product setting on a site here. They had a skylight leaking. It was cracked, the unit was 2 months out of warranty. The selling dealer is out of business, they had no one to turn to. I suggested they call the manufacture, and see if they could help or at least let us know how to get a new skylight. Forrest River stepped up and said they would not only send us the parts at no cost they would pay the labor for them. We all thought that was fantastic. I got all the info to send them the bill. I promptly sent Forrest River an invoice for the labor by email, and received a confirmation. 4 weeks had gone by, no check. I sent a reminder, Forrest River replied "Our payment terms for checks are NET 60 from the date of receipt of invoice which would put you at about 1/14/14. Or by ACH we pay NET 30, if you would like the payment sooner via ACH I’ve attached the necessary form. The work was completed on 10/31/13, I could send them all my bank account information if I wanted to get it sooner. I will be damned if I am going to send any one my bank account information. It is no wonder no one wants to work on anything the factories have to pay for. If I had to by parts and provide labor to them interest free for 60 days, I don't want to do the work either!!

2014 Ram Laramie, 3500, Crew Cab, Long bed, 4 x 4,Dually, Lights & Siren!

2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You now see one of the problems with doing warranty work. Wait till you see the labor rate they pay is almost always less than it took to fix the problem. They all have there own pay scale for repair time and per hour labor amount!

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

even dealers who sell their product have this problem. it is not just FR but they all are slow payers.

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wait till they tell you that you are not certified through them therfore they wont pay.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eHoefler wrote:

I have a Handyman Service in our area. It is a one man operation that fills a void in our small community. I do RV repairs when called among all the other stuff I do.

Sheesh- talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!

Not only does this mfr. agree to cover the parts for this OUT OF WARRANTY work, they agree to pay for your labor as well- this despite the fact that you don't even exist as a brick-and-mortar operation. And you post on here to complain about their long-established payment protocols?

Welcome to the Real World of over-the-counter business practices!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

traveylin

Rockport

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/13 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the middle east for twenty years, it was very evident that the two biggest problems a contractor faced was getting the contract,, and then getting paid for the contract. Labor, materials, permits housing all the rest was easy in comparisom.
With call centers and electronic transfer, its all engineered to hold value in the bank of bigger business as long as possible.

pops

bigdogger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the problem with giving them the ACH information? It is the same information on the front of every check you have ever written. The routing number for the bank, which is public knowledge and your account number, which is plainly printed on each and every check you have ever written or received.

jwmII

out west

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your story is soooo typical. The manufacturers jerk you around typically because they can. Notice when you do business with them and are ordering from them how they get their money upfront.
Another nest of theives are these extended warranty outfits. I'm surprised you have not had a customer want you to work on their stuff under their extended warranty. Of course you call them and outline the work and parts needed and give them an estimate. They approve payment and you go to work and get the customers stuff up and running.
You then are told to fax the warranty outfit a copy of the bill and they will then give you a credit card number to charge everything to. Oh!! But wait a minute, we don't pay that much for what you just did and the parts are to high too. We only pay this much for parts and labor.Which by the way can be as much 50% less than the original agreed upon price. Here you sit with a credit card to charge to knowing full well that your full amount on the bill will not be allowed for payment.
This is one reason among others that shops,and independent repairmen like yourself won't do work that use those extended warranties.
While I was in the business I would let the customer know that they would need to pay me and then they could fight it out with their insurance/warranty shysters to get reimbursed. A small shop or one man cannot subsidize these factories and insurance/warranty companies nor should they.

jwmII

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked for a major hospital in ohio 25years back it took two months to get a bill paid. think of the tens of thousands of dollars they.,ve made in interest on your money. thats how it all got started some ACC figured it out.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll flip the coin over...I think it's atypical.

We had a tornado come through the campground a few months ago. It removed all four of my slide toppers. Called the insurance company and they sent out an adjuster. Since we are full timers, it's not convenient for us to wait for a dealer to replace the toppers, so we decided to wait until we were going to be somewhere for a month or so. As it turns out, we were in Harlington, Texas and some mexican fellas were installing a patio room on a fiver. I asked them about my toppers and they gave me an estimate. Called the insurance company and explained the situation. Got it approved and next day I had my new toppers installed! Insurance company sent the check within three days....$1200.00.

Point is, not everyone is out to rip someone off. There are procedures that must be followed. It's been my experience that if the procedures are followed, the transaction goes smoothly. Sounds like the OP doesn't want to follow those procedures so he gets what he gets. While he may not like FRs procedures or as jwmll above indicates, if you expect to get paid follow the simple rules. I've had excellent response from my warranty company, from Monaco and from my insurance company. But, as I said, I asked and followed their procedures......YMMV.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dealers not wanting to do warranty work.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS