Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RVer selecting health insurance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVer selecting health insurance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
cire

Roamin da USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/13 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like many others needs to pick an new insurance carrier quickly. Now that the website is working better I can look at some of my options. Because we're full timers we must have a policy that can work anywhere in the country. First question: How do I find which carrier will cover me when I travel. I'm not afraid of doing homework. I just don't know where to start.

* This post was edited 12/19/13 11:11pm by an administrator/moderator *

Eric Perplies
full timing since 6/04 with best friend and wife: Suzie
1996 Bluebird Wanderlodge, 42'
towing a 99' Honda CRV with M&G braking system.

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/13 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can say is good luck.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

Bob & Ann

North AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/13 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For years and years we all made our decisions by calling and checking with whatever insurance companies we might have interest in. One can continue to do that or if you so desire try to make a decision through the Obama website with the governments help. Personally I decided to go with my own research through the insurance companies.

Bob and Ann
One HAPPY Schnauzer - Della
One FRISKY Chihuahua - Lola
Tiffin Motor Home
2014 40 QBH Phaeton
Freightliner Chassis
Cummins ISL 380 HP/150 Torque
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/13 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start here: www.healthcare.gov

Available health plans will depend on your domicile.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/13 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you're looking for a medicare supplement then, AFAIK, all of those are good in all 57 states. otherwise, most insurance policies are good in your state of residence. my BCBS plan (not ObamaCare) covers me only in illinois. emergencies, actual by-God emergencies, are covered out-of-state but when we're in arizona and i need to see a doc about a non-emergency then i have to pay for it. be sure to check the fine print.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/13 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In general, the Blues (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) are universal. They vary from state to state but in most states the health care providers accept the out of state Blues on the same terms as they accept the local Blues.

EDIT. My previous employer provides health insurance through BCBS of Illinois, for employees in 5 different states, because they are headquartered there and don't want to negotiate policies in 5 different states.

woodgeezer

Greater Salt Lake Valley,Utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/13 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I was thinking of saying would likely cause a poop storm.

If you need insurance as a supplement to Medicare, the Affordable Care Act is not your source.

If you are looking for a carrier, you should find one you like and ask where they cover you. The Federal Program will not tell you where and when.

If you qualify under the ACA you will not likely find a universal insurer, but big bubbas insurance agency is not the place to start. Try something like Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/13 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water-Bug wrote:

In general, the Blues (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) are universal. They vary from state to state but in most states the health care providers accept the out of state Blues on the same terms as they accept the local Blues.

EDIT. My previous employer provides health insurance through BCBS of Illinois, for employees in 5 different states, because they are headquartered there and don't want to negotiate policies in 5 different states.

EDIT 2: If you select a health care provider that doesn't accept BCBS, you are going to pay no matter where you are. If in doubt ask, when you make the appointment.

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/13 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

if you're looking for a medicare supplement then, AFAIK, all of those are good in all 57 states. otherwise, most insurance policies are good in your state of residence. my BCBS plan (not ObamaCare) covers me only in illinois. emergencies, actual by-God emergencies, are covered out-of-state but when we're in arizona and i need to see a doc about a non-emergency then i have to pay for it. be sure to check the fine print.

If you travel to 57 different states, it is little wonder that BCBS doesn't cover you in all of them.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/13 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have medicare AARP may be a good start for supplement. Before this all started I had no idea there were so many people without insurance. I just assumed everyone got covered by their company when they retired like I was. Not so much I guess.

* This post was edited 12/17/13 11:44pm by an administrator/moderator *

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVer selecting health insurance
Search:   Advanced Search