Woodalls Open Roads Forum: TX state inspection & being out of state for the next year
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> TX state inspection & being out of state for the next year

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Flinx777

Murrieta

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/13 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my truck and 5th wheel registered in TX and we'll be heading out to travel up the east coast this coming year. The inspection expires in April and when we come off the road in June, we'll be moving back to our home in So Cal. We won't be coming back to TX at any point once we leave TX in a few weeks. We are only Texans during our traveling on the road and using Escapees for domicile purposes while traveling (we're actually from So Cal where our home is at).

I just called the place to get the inspection done and they said as long as we don't come back through TX, there's no need to get the inspection done. They informed me that I can still register the vehicles in TX without the inspection though.

My question is: since we're not going to be coming back through TX, should we even waste our time getting the vehicles inspected? Even though the guy informed us at the vehicle inspection that we don't need to, I'd be curious to hear from someone else that has had a similar situation. I just want to make sure if this guy was correct. Obviously I could call the DMV, but of course they're gonna want me to get the inspection done.

I think I'm just looking for some feedback from anyone that has had a similar issue to be completely sure.

2000 Ford 350 DRW 7.3L Turbo Diesel, 4 speed automatic, 4.10 rear end, limited-slip differential. Banks Power & Brakes, B&W Hitch
2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 34pht

GENECOP

NEW YORK

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/13 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have passed on the NY inspection when I am not in NY, never had a problem....

copeland343

Central Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/13 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out of state no problem. Its when you come back into the state you can get ticket unless you get it do at a border city. Been there did that in Louisiana. For me its easier now just to get it done early. Also the DMV does not care about vehicle inspections only law enforcement cares.

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/13 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GENECOP wrote:

I have passed on the NY inspection when I am not in NY, never had a problem....

I am not sure how the process works in New York applies to the OP and his vehicles being registered in Texas.

nazpaz

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/13 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out this web page.

From it:

"The Department of Public Safety extends the time within which a certificate of inspection shall be obtained by a resident owner or operator of a Texas-registered vehicle, when the vehicle has no valid inspection certificate. The extension will be granted only on the first occasion of operation in this state during an inspection year and only until the resident owner or operator of the vehicle has arrived at his home, station, or destination in this state and for three days thereafter."

So, theoretically at least, you could arrive at El Paso and then take a couple of weeks to travel across the state to your domicile before getting the inspections. I think an officer would probably ask for documentation proving you have been out of state.

-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2008 6.4L SRW F-350 Diesel - 2007 Hitchhiker 32.5 LKSBG - Superglide Hitch

h2guy

Ain't seen a sign yet!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/13 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flinx777 wrote:

I have my truck and 5th wheel registered in TX and we'll be heading out to travel up the east coast this coming year. The inspection expires in April and when we come off the road in June, we'll be moving back to our home in So Cal. We won't be coming back to TX at any point once we leave TX in a few weeks. We are only Texans during our traveling on the road and using Escapees for domicile purposes while traveling (we're actually from So Cal where our home is at).

Do you pay taxes in CA??
Do you drive around your "home" with TX plates
Who issued your DL??

I think you got more to worry about than a couple of dollars for an inspection sticker.

Rick & Carolyn
01 Ford SC 4x4 DRW
01 CarriLite 5ver

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/13 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see that any other state could give you a ticket because your TX inspection was expired. Since you will not return to TX don't worry about it.
Still you would only be out $35 or so, if it brings you peace of mind get it inspected.
My 5er hasn't had an inspection sticker since 2008.

thgoodman

Where ever the wheels stop - Mesa, AZ for winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/13 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch out for DC. They require a current inspection certificate from the state in which the vehicle is registered. This is primarily done to collect ticket revenue from MD and VA drivers who work in DC.

Do your self a favor and avoid DC or stay in a campground outside DC and take public transportation into the district for touristy stuff.

Tom & Jan
Full timers since April '06 - 1 fur kid (Archie - mini Poodle.)
2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder towing 2012 Subaru (4 down)
Started workamping Sept '07 - "This isn't too bad. Think we'll do it some more."

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/13 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flinx777 wrote:

We are only Texans during our traveling on the road and using Escapees for domicile purposes while traveling (we're actually from So Cal where our home is at).

In other words, you're only Texans when it comes to avoiding California vehicle registration/taxation requirements....And now you're trying to figure out how to avoid TEXAS registration requirements.

Why not shop around the other 48 States- maybe you'll find a better deal!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/13 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He is correct. I have been out of state for 3 years and didnt get the inspection till I returned. If you have a question about what other states think then contact the other states DMV and ask, dont depend on personal opinions.

HR

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> TX state inspection & being out of state for the next year
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS