Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: DC's New Traffic Cams
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> DC's New Traffic Cams

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/13 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a way to increase revenue for the DC local government, they have decided to install a new system of traffic cams that not only can grab you for speed or red lights, they can get you for rolling a stop sigh, blocking the intersection and other "stuff"

New DC Cams

Keep it in mind when you visit the city.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (the Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

WARNING: Do not grow up. It's a trap!

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/13 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like it, even though my DW got just such a ticket a while back!
They really need to be overseen by a citizens group though. Some municipalities have been caught shortening the yellow light timing in my state.

* This post was edited 12/27/13 09:40am by ScottG *

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

JamesBr

Manassas, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/13 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another reason why I avoid driving in DC. If I cannot take a train in, I just avoid it completely. The cameras are not the problem, its the operators profiting off them and making many errors. Twice I recieved DC redlight tickets, the cars in the picutre where not mine nor registered to me. Oh and both times I was not driving in the city, 1st one arrived on a work day but I take the VRE in and the plate was from NJ just happen to have the same number as my S10 (the car in the picture was a honda.) The second one was given when I was in FL for 2 weeks, this time the plate did not even match any of my numbers, but they claimed it was my RV (which was in FL with me the entire time.) Both took me forever to get dropped and way more paperwork then needed when it was clear as day that the car in the ticket was not mine.

2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/13 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D & M wrote:

As a way to increase revenue for the DC local government, they have decided to install a new system of traffic cams that not only can grab you for speed or red lights, they can get you for rolling a stop sigh, blocking the intersection and other "stuff"

New DC Cams

Nothing in the article stated it was a means to raise revenue.
It is an attempt to get everyone to obey the laws. If you break them you deserve the ticket.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/13 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You gotta love the CAMs sending you warrants in the mail. Recently on the local WASHINGTON DC/VA news here a Virginia man that has never been to the streets of Washington DC and now lives in WV got a ticket in the mail for traffic violations in DC reported by a camera. He had turned his VA tags into DMV several years ago and somehow the tags are being used today in his name... He refused to pay and got into all kinds of credit problems. This happened last year I think - Its all on the news now of him trying to get his credit straightened out.

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/13 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harold1946 wrote:

D & M wrote:

New DC Cams

It is an attempt to get everyone to obey the laws. If you break them you deserve the ticket.

Yeah, right.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

JamesBr

Manassas, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/13 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harold, you would have to be a DC Metro local to know that they are just revenue generators. When the city announced the proposal to add these cameras they did not speak of expected improvements in less accidents, traffic or pedestrian safety. Instead they spoke of expected additional revenue of adding these cameras as the existing ones have seen revenue drop.

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/13 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harold1946 wrote:

D & M wrote:

New DC Cams

That's the party line. But, no offense, but you don't live here. During rush hour "blocking the box" is often unavoidable. And they short the yellows.

The only thing that works better in DC then the traffic cams, is the meter maids.

And they catch the pilgrims as well as the residents. Just wanted to make the RV brethren aware when they come here.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/13 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JamesBr wrote:

Harold, you would have to be a DC Metro local to know that they are just revenue generators. When the city announced the proposal to add these cameras they did not speak of expected improvements in less accidents, traffic or pedestrian safety. Instead they spoke of expected additional revenue of adding these cameras as the existing ones have seen revenue drop.

Thats all it's about! Safety is a side effect of the cameras!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/13 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC is not the only city that is using traffic cams to enforce laws. I guess DC must also have police and meter maids only to gain revenue.
Its realy pretty simple. Obey the laws and you will not be cited. I never received a citation I didn't deserve. Maybe in DC things are different.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> DC's New Traffic Cams
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS