Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Health Insurance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Health Insurance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/14 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New health insurance laws took effect at midnight. I am suggesting that before you roll out for your trips, check to make sure that your health insurance coverage is fully functional.

It's one thing to go to the emergency room or hospital when you are at your base and find out that your insurance copay and reimbursement is no longer in place and you need to come up with cash. At least you can go back to the sticks and bricks, lick your wounds and start the process to fix the problem. It's another thing to do when you are on the road and might not have all of the resources or information necessary to unscrew the problem.

I have a feeling this is going to be an ongoing problem for many that had to get their own individual policies.

Stay Healthy and have a Happy New Year

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

Dear McDonald's, Thank you for not selling hot dogs. I don't think I could order a McWiener and keep a straight face.

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/14 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very valid point. Our employer-sponsored plan changed as well-I need to sit down and make sure all the numbers match up so if we wind up at the ER or doc today for some reason there won't be any issues.

* This post was edited 01/01/14 11:56pm by an administrator/moderator *

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/14 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad I am over 65.

2004.5 Dodge 2500ctd Quadcab. Lariamie, 3.73, auto. pure stock
2005 Montana 2955 5er

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/14 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots to millions of people and families will be in for a very dismal surprise when they need to use their healthcare insurance after 12:00 AM last night, 1-1-2014. For so many it will be when they need the insurance the nost as in an emergency situation! The staggering deductibles that must be met first will sober and shock so many of the unexpecting that's just waiting for them!

We checked it out ourselves and thought we were just seeing things until many of our friends said they all also seen the very same numbers and issues. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, guess it really is a duck!

* This post was edited 01/02/14 12:03am by an administrator/moderator *

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

oldmattb

desert near Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/14 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice. Wife got two letters from her insurance company. One said all was fine, the second said she had three days (one a holiday)to confirm by phone that she wanted to keep her insurance.

Turns out all is fine, but she spent several hours on the phone to make sure.

For anyone with assets, there is too much at stake to just assume things are all fine.

Matt B

oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/14 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I specifically asked many of these questions of my agent when I got my new, better, and cheaper policy from my state run exchange. I'm glad MN stepped up to the plate and got this done. I'm thankful that people on here and in other places got me thinking about it so I could check into it.

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/14 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Glad I am over 65"

We're 72 and many of our friends are close to the same realm and there's this thing called Part C & D to Medicare or Insurance when retired and on the Medicare which is purchased from a private insurance company as you are not employed and/or covered by an employer plan. Read the new laws and rules and requirements! You pay for your base Medicare monthly as it's deducted form each retiree and then you pay for C&D etc to an Insurance Co usually monthly.

We check these plans out each and every year personally and thru our local very fine community "Council on Aging" as they have intense workshops in Sept and Nov each year as there are so changes as required by laws etc. They are free to all over 65 and full every year and have 3 large classes daily, 5 days a week, and for the 2 months. Lots of retirees attend and very enlightening! Often we find there have been huge changes to coverages, no longer covered health issues, deductibles, and drugs covered. You get a complete personalized printed readout of 10-30 pages for the top 4-10 plans in regards to coverages, deductibles, non-coverd items/proceedures, and costs plus drug costs/coverage/deductibles for all drugs by their groupings.

On top of that, employer plans or sponsered plans are changing very rapidly and many have a much larger co-pays or have been dropped completely before 2014. Was announced that many more by name will be eliminated in the first 3 months of 2014. Stay tuned!

Our personal plan is great and kept but so many are in for some real shocks and soon!

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/14 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelnutz wrote:

"Glad I am over 65"

We're 72 and many of our friends are close to the same realm and there's this thing called Part C & D to Medicare or Insurance when retired and on the Medicare which is purchased from a private insurance company as you are not employed and/or covered by an employer plan. Read the new laws and rules and requirements! You pay for your base Medicare monthly as it's deducted form each retiree and then you pay for C&D etc to an Insurance Co usually monthly.

We check these plans out each and every year personally and thru our local very fine community "Council on Aging" as they have intense workshops in Sept and Nov each year as there are so changes as required by laws etc. They are free to all over 65 and full every year and have 3 large classes daily, 5 days a week, and for the 2 months. Lots of retirees attend and very enlightening! Often we find there have been huge changes to coverages, no longer covered health issues, deductibles, and drugs covered. You get a complete personalized printed readout of 10-30 pages for the top 4-10 plans in regards to coverages, deductibles, non-coverd items/proceedures, and costs plus drug costs/coverage/deductibles for all drugs by their groupings.

On top of that, employer plans or sponsered plans are changing very rapidly and many have a much larger co-pays or have been dropped completely before 2014. Was announced that many more by name will be eliminated in the first 3 months of 2014. Stay tuned!

Our personal plan is great and kept but so many are in for some real shocks and soon!
We are fortunet to have an insurance that allows us not to have to purchase a part c or d so hours of research not needed. Of course all is subject to change with a fickel congress and administration.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/14 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And of course there have been something like 30 threads on this topic in the past two months.

The key concern appears for most folks is to make sure they have a PPO plan which offers a network in all 50 or 48 states.

Some of the cheaper plans are focused on the state level.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/14 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As of midnight last night, I now have a national PPO plan for a lot less than my previous local HMO. It also has a lower out of pocket max. I'm looking forward to traveling in 2014 without having to worry if I do something stupid.

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Health Insurance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts