Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Too much junk
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Too much junk

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/14 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who brings too much junk (stuff ? )

I am a minimalist type. Love 2 chairs, small table and nothing else under my awning and less is more in the rv.

hubby is--get to site, then pitch the tent to set up an elaborate grilling area, bring out the lounge chairs and tables, put up awining lights, tons of mats on the ground, tiki torches and all the fixings that go with outside fun.

Yikes.

Are you the type that goes whole hog while rving or the type that would rather just stop, bare minimum set up and away you go?

hubby and I are at odds on this!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/14 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are both minimalists. Most of our cabinets and storage areas are mostly empty.

I was never one to lug along enough stuff to cook for and feed the entire Russian Army or to completely refit a powered nuclear aircraft carrier.

How many extra kitchen sinks do you really need....just in case?

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/14 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We *take* too much stuff.

It was ultimately the biggest death of our using the pop-up - the freakish oragami/jenga game loading and unloading (stuff out of the pup, stuff out of the truck, move this here, that there, and so on). Setup was a nightmare. We're over packers- always have been.

With the fifth wheel- we still have too much stuff but we have more places to store it.

As for setting up camp- it really depends on how long we'll be there. I like a minimal setup if it's just a weekend or long weekend. I like a lot more if we're there a week+.

It also depends if I'm actually off of work or not. Often times, I work from my camper- so I'm inside for 8+ hours per day. We treat the camper like a roving apartment and generally have minimal setup outside.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/14 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As we full time everything we own goes with us. What we put out depends on the stay. Long term, (A month or more) fully set up patio area, grill, tables, chairs, etc.

In the travel mode, much less. Sometimes we don't even deploy the awning.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

2oldman

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/14 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My GF.

We were just out for Xmas week, and she brought enough food for an army. It takes an hour to load or unload her coach with various towels, dresses (yes, dresses), kitchen devices she never uses (like Soda stream - waste of money), and an assorted bevy of everything imaginable. Her storage bins are so full they're almost dangerous to use.

Some folks operate on "what if", and some on "I never use that."

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/14 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunnyCamper wrote:

I am a minimalist type. Love 2 chairs, small table and nothing else under my awning and less is more in the rv.

hubby is--get to site, then pitch the tent to set up an elaborate grilling area, bring out the lounge chairs and tables, put up awining lights, tons of mats on the ground, tiki torches and all the fixings that go with outside fun.

The question is - can you get him to do the cooking and cleanup outside?

My wife likes it when I setup an outdoor kitchen because I take care of cooking and cleaning.

We usually only setup outside if we are going to be more than 5 days at the campsite.

Now if he sets it up for you to do all the work.....

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/14 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not that I bring too much junk, I just cant seem to put it back when I am done.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/14 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It used to take about an hour to setup camp...level the trailer, hook up utilities, table & chairs, setup BBQ and Sat dish. Now it seems to take 3 days.

Lights and decorations, extra tables and chairs, move stuff off of the floor and on to the counters. Awnings and fire pit, ice machine, skirt around 5th wheel over hang for storage. Computer, laptop, iPads, router all synced with WiFi.

I'd be happy with a cooler, microwave, recliner and sat TV. 10 minutes at most.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/14 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at Open Range's new Roamer RF346FLR - a fifth wheel with not only a basement up front - but a rear bedroom with a basement in the back which can hole "Over 200 Cu. Ft. of Exterior Storage (Can Accommodate 2 10ft Kayaks and 4 Bikes)"

I bet the wife and I could fill it up. (We do like to carry 2 8ft Kayaks which have to go on top of the TV and hurt gas mileage about 0.5 mpg.

RF 346FLR

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/14 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate to admit I'm a junker. Our 39' RV is full right up to max. GVW I try to carry and be prepared for everything.
I have reformed my ways somewhat. I only set up the outdoor kitchen if we are really going to use it. I no longer set up things when we arrive.
I have started to see the light that less is more. Especially when it comes time to pack up.
My new RV has lots of amenities on the inside which has unfortunately has cut down on the amount of time I spend outside. Don't get me wrong the new rig is great but it has altered the way we approach camping.
The new rig also has a feeble electric awning that cannot be strapped down as I did with my prior TT.
That means I cannot protect the outside patio area from wet weather as well.
This has led to a big reduction in my patio set up. I now only set up what I need.
I see the advantage of only setting up a table and chair vs. a full blown outdoor kitchen.
I still only cook outside, my Coleman Roadtrip has made a huge difference as well. It has its own stand. I can grill or use the griddle to make breakfast.
I no longer need a table etc. for my kitchen the road trip does it all.
In the end I still consider myself a junker because I carry it all with me.
I'm ashamed to say I have 4 TV's in my RV. Each person has their own TV including the dog.LOL
I am slowly changing my ways I seldom set it all up vs. always setting it all up!
My goal is to relax and do nothing.....OK very little.......
The next step to reforming my ways is to leave the junk at home........... Or at least some of it!

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Too much junk