Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Semi retirement guilt You opinion
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Semi retirement guilt You opinion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/14 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you who are older and wiser, and have been there done that. What say you, have we made the right choice?

Here is the deal, I am 58 dw 60, like you we have worked hard our whole life. We have been in business 35 years. And though we both like the people, we are starting to burn out on the business part

So what we are doing, is cutting down to 3 and a half days a week, and taking about 7 weeks off plus all the holidays.

Becuase I,(we), want to go see and do now. Vacation , ride bikes, do hobbies, while we still can.

Retirement money, will be fine I believe. If we never save another dime at 66, we will be in the 60k plus range, with paid for house, cars, etc and no debt. (plenty for our life style)

Although if we worked harder, from now till we retire, we would of course have more money.

So The guilty part, is it just feels weird, to have so much time off.

For you older and wiser folks, if you could roll back the clock, would you do what we are doing? or push it hard right till retirement?

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/14 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired early and no guilt - just joy.

Life is short what if health turns like it did for my Dad and Father in Law.

By retiring in good health you at least enjoy some time - that is why you saved up for retirement.

Live life to the fullest and ignore those who can not understand

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
175 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/14 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes one needs a sabbatical. It is easy to get burned out these days, especially with the longer hours and more things needing to be done.

I hate to be all doom and gloom, but were it me, I'd take some time off, then try to push it until retirement if possible. The economy isn't getting any better, so might as well try to make as big a nest egg as possible before another 2008 happens and there is no work to be found at all. It may get to a point where the only money you will have is what you saved up in the past.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/14 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired at 54. No regrets. Busier now than when employed.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler

richardwise

new philadelphia, ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/14 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was crippled by an accident at 58 years of age, my twin brother died of cancer less than a year later. Never take for granted your next minute, let alone 5 years from now. Enjoy your life now, and never look back.

Traveler II

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/14 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I retired at 54 when my wife's health was getting bad, best thing we ever did, her health has improved over time, and I don't believe it would have if we kept working---that was 15 years ago.

2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2011 - 165
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 118

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/14 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

For those of you who are older and wiser, and have been there done that. What say you, have we made the right choice?

Here is the deal, I am 58 dw 60, like you we have worked hard our whole life. We have been in business 35 years. And though we both like the people, we are starting to burn out on the business part

So what we are doing, is cutting down to 3 and a half days a week, and taking about 7 weeks off plus all the holidays.

Becuase I,(we), want to go see and do now. Vacation , ride bikes, do hobbies, while we still can.

Retirement money, will be fine I believe. If we never save another dime at 66, we will be in the 60k plus range, with paid for house, cars, etc and no debt. (plenty for our life style)

Although if we worked harder, from now till we retire, we would of course have more money.

For you older and wiser folks, if you could roll back the clock, would you do what we are doing? or push it hard right till retirement?

Guilty? Certainly not. We were in the same spot as you are.

You worked hard to be able to take time off. You EARNED the right.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/14 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're right, you should feel guilty for only semi-retiring, when you probably have enough money to retire completely.

SuzzeeeQ2012

Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/14 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do it all over again. Husband retired at 55 from Boeing (7 years ago). We had a 401K that had built up as well as pension, and now we are drawing SS. We've helped our kids out a bit, and have done what we wanted to do. We have good medical till he reaches the Medicare age. I'm covered on that as well. I think we're a dying breed, as kids nowadays don't usually have a pension, and they aren't saving for the most part.

Once in a while, I feel like I should be "doing more" we do attend church while we're home in the spring and summer, so that keeps us busy too.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/14 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

mentally I was ready to go at 50 but couldn't make the numbers work so I went at 55 and have never looked back. I enjoyed what I did but in the last few years it became less and less enjoyable. like you we walked into retirement (wife went at 55 as well) 100% debt free and with an income that easily supports our live-beneath-our-means lifestyle.

as another poster wrote I, too, am busier now than when I was employed...i'm just doing what I want to do now. I still "work" (employed would be more accurate), an irregular part-time schedule that leaves us plenty of time to RV.

don't feel guilty but do have a plan on what you want to do with your time. my father-in-law didn't have a plan other than eating and watching TV all day. he barely made a year in retirement before a heart attack took him.

good luck!

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Semi retirement guilt You opinion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS