Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Moderators, Moderating, or CRY BABIES, mostly Cry Babies…
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Moderators, Moderating, or CRY BABIES, mostly Cry Babies…

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/14 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First I support the Moderators on the forums here… I think by in large they do a great job resulting in one of the better forums I have visited…

Of course there are times I don’t seem to understand the deletions, editing, or the locking of the threads…

Admittedly I don’t see the amount of editing and deleting that needs done to keep a thread sane, somewhat close to on topic, and close to the rules…

Sometimes this might make it appear that they are showing favoritism or closely following their personal beliefs… I have never believed that, but sometimes even I was mystified by the way things went…

I almost never communicate with the mods, especially about their jobs, but I have once or twice PM’ed a question to them… I think maybe 3 times in the 10 or so years I have been here…

Well recently I sent a PM to a Mod about the locking of a thread, and while it seems the thread swayed on and off course and was nearing its natural end anyway it had some editing, some deleting, and was locked…

I can say the Mod was courteous replied and adequately addressed my questions… which brings me to the purpose of this thread… the Cry Babies…
It seems the locking of the thread was influenced almost as much because of members crying to the moderators… really…

I must say that even with as many people the frequent these forums, I find it very hard to believe that so many today have computers without a back button to exit a thread they either don’t agree with, or continue to join in a thread when they have nothing to offer, nothing to learn, or choose to be a self-appointed WANT-A-BE moderator themselves and exert those desires by crying to the notify the moderator button…

I mean really, notify the moderator!!!

If you don’t like what someone has to say tell them, if you disagree offer something better or more factual yourself as a meaningful contributor…

If you regularly don’t like what one member say, I understand you can block and not even see their post… never done it so I presume that’s how it works…

Of course you could get a spine and PM the poster with your dislikes or disagreements… if you still don’t like their reply you can block them from sending you a PM…

All I all it so easy to just exit a thread, I don’t know why anything else is necessary…

But come on to notify the Moderator and ask for the thread to be closed, what a sorry way to be a contributor…

Suggested reading for some that feel the impulsive need to hit the notify the moderator button a little too often… I am sure you know who you are…
Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/74464.Don_t_Squeal_Unless_It_s_a_Big_Deal

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/14 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only pm a mod if its spam....no more no less. Dont like the thread...I dont join it and ignore it. Got better things to do with my time.

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/14 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you feel better now that you have that off your chest

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/14 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I all it so easy to just exit a thread, I don’t know why anything else is necessary…

Enough said.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/14 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as we are human, we'll never be perfect!

Remember the Star Trek episode when Captain Picard was granted 3 wishes from "Q". One of the "wishes" Picard asked for was "World Peace!" "poof" Q transported Picard to a city. Picard was the ONLY person on the planet!

Get the idea!

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/14 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forums are for the expression of individual opinions. As long as they stay on topic, I don't care what they say. It is not the mods problem unless it gets out of control. It is so easy to unsubscribe from any topic, then go find one you like. Our mods do a very good job IMHO.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/14 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I participate with other message boards that are probably not as well behaved as this, and they move all less than proper responses to a "political anarchy" thread, where everyone can take pot shots at each other. Anything goes as long as it is within the bounds of legality. Wade in if you dare, but you can't say that you haven't been warned.

I've had posts deleted about travel in Mexico (who would have thought that the discourse would be taken over by bottom feeders or people who have never been there or want to go there?), and LGBT campers (actually a well mannered and thoughtful discussion that made me proud of the message board).

I usually ask for threads to be closed (or moderated?) when politics are discussed (any or all parties). I understand that it is a difficult task to monitor the threads when differing views or interests want to be expressed.

I have thanked moderators when they have done their job well, and have been truly disappointed when something has been deleted with no response. A PM would be greatly appreciated when a moderator feels that a topic needs to be "moderated".

I don't want their job.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

shakyjay

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/14 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of things

Curious just how many PM's you might get from this post. Maybe you can let us know. Just a count, content not important.

Wonder how long this post would have lasted if you would have posted in ATC.

I think some of what you are saying goes along with the recent thread about grumpy people.

All I can add is that this is the only place, in all the years that I have been online, where I have had a post edited or deleted by a mod. I'm not saying they do a bad job. I doubt I see half the stuff they have to deal with. I do notice that some individuals have a tendency to take threads off course very quickly. Probably more so than other forums I have participated in. Personally I have not felt a need to block anyone. There are a few people whose posts I take with a grain of salt, but that's just life.

2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/14 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree. I still don't understand the need for people to want a thread closed for any reason, short of illegal activity. When I don't like a thread, and that occurs a lot, I simply hit the "Hide" button. I don't like censorship and don't understand why other people do. I have hundreds, really hundreds, of threads hidden. It's easy, more people should try it.

My Mantra is "Don't Like It? Don't Read It".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

shakyjay

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/14 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the most part I agree however I think Pangaea Ron has touched on one area that I can understand the need for some heavy monitoring. That is the obviously very political topics. Like the subject though the monitoring can be a little touchy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Moderators, Moderating, or CRY BABIES, mostly Cry Babies…
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS