Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Bikes For Retired Parents......
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bikes For Retired Parents......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/14 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our camping parents are mid 60's. I've never seen them ride bikes before but my Mom recently expressed interest in riding a bike when camping and also possibly when at home. They're both not the slimmest of people anymore and could shed a few pounds.

My Dad mentioned something about beach cruisers. I know most are single speed without gears but I think gears are better for whatever hills they might encounter. They're not going to encounter any kind of crazy hills in their cycling though.

Being that they haven't ridden in a long time (I'm 34 and don't remember them riding), I think a tricycle is a better option. I've talked to my brother and sister about this and they think the tricycle is a better option for safety reasons.

The have a 2013 Jayco camper with the sliding bike rack in the rear. Does anyone think 2 adult trikes would fit on the bike carrier? Would folding trikes be a better option? I cycle and I know how important gears are when you deal with hills. Would the single speed trikes work or should we get gears?

Bill & Kate

Stone Harbor, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/14 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am 65 and ride a "beach cruiser" with a three speed rear axle and pedal actuated brakes. I have had it for years, and other than new tires and tubes once in a while, it is pretty maintenance free. My wife also has a beach cruiser, but with a five speed rear axle and hand brakes. I works fine for her, but the gears and brakes need adjustment frequently.

In my opinion, it is important that the bike is the proper size for the rider. I would recommending visiting a real bicycle shop where someone knowledgeable can properly fit the bike to the rider. It is probably worth it to spend a little more on a good bike rather than going the WalMart route. We are in a resort area, and the local rental places buy good quality bikes, but sell them off cheap after a season or two ....

Personally, I intend to hold off on the trikes as long as I can. They seem more difficult to maneuver, park, harder to pedal, and would be more difficult to transport ....

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Molson (goldendoodle) and Sunny (parti poodle) (recently deceased)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E-350 Chateau Super Duty Van with 6.0L PSD ("Moby")
2012 Outback Super Light 277RL - 10th Anniversary Edition ("Salty Dog House II")

trnfla

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/14 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope your parents don't see this post if you think mid sixties need trikes... LOL

Like others said I would look for a single or three speed beach cruiser. Ask your parents their inseam and it should help you get the correct size bikes.

Please say a Prayer for my 5 year old Granddaughter (Discovered she had Leukemia at 9 months), she has been in remission and tests keep coming back clean.

Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW
NiceCamps.com

sem1

selkirk

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/14 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in my mid 60's and if my kids even suggested tri bikes i would be pretty Peeved off unless they were disabled. Go to a REAL bike shop with them and get a couple of GOOD bikes. Might have to pay a few bucks but they will be happy with something of QUALITY.

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/14 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They (and you) mean well, and I hope they use whatever you/they buy. But don't be surprised if the bikes end up in the garage with the treadmill.

The GF has 3 very nice bicycles and never rides them. Do your folks do any kind of exercise now?

* This post was edited 01/12/14 10:39am by 2oldman *

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/14 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 50 and too old for a 2 wheel bike. I can't imagine the pain when I fall off of the thing. Not like when your a kid and you heal up quickly. I had a 3 wheel bike but, everybody laughed at me so I don't have it anymore. I've looked at newer and different style of 3 wheel bikes but, the price is more then I want to pay.

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/14 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 67 and ride a "comfort" bike 20-40 miles a week. The nice thing about a comfort bike over a beach cruiser is suspension. Mine has cushioning front forks and a "shock" in the seat tube, which makes for a little nicer ride. More speeds mean finding the right gear for easy riding.
Ride a couple of bikes before you buy, not all will ride the same, you want something that doesn't take a lot of work just to get rolling. The easier the bike is to ride, the more likely it will get used.

pompomgirl

Edmonds, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/14 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 70 and definitely not too old for a 2-wheel bike. It depends on the person and how motivated they are. Maybe it would help them take off a few pounds. Give them credit for wanting to try.

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/14 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only exercise they do is maybe to hit the gym a few times a month and walk the dog around the block a few times a month.

The thought of them riding a two wheel bike kind of scares me a little because I can't remember them EVER riding a bike. Like I said, they're not the slimmest of people anymore and I don't want to see them fall and get hurt. I slipped on some ice at work 2 days ago and was in pain that day and yesterday.

AprilWhine

Somewhere west of Laramie

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/14 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can ride a two wheel bike just fine, but love my folding trike! I use it to take out the garbage and make grocery runs, it really hauls. Plus, because it's a bit harder to pedal, it burns more calories when I'm out cruising.

Here's the one I have: Westport folding adult trike

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2011 Ford Ranger
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman
Pick one

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bikes For Retired Parents......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues