Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Move to diesel engines across the RV spectrum a fad?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Move to diesel engines across the RV spectrum a fad?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/14 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm noticing that in every segment of RV-ing, be it tow vehicles, or motorhomes, diesel engines are appearing as options (such as the one on the 1500 Dodge.)

I wonder if this is something that is here to stay, or if it is something similar to the 1970s where we had diesel cars as an option, but eventually almost everyone switched back to gassers.

Opinions? Think this is something permanent, or just a fad?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/14 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

its here to stay , diesels are alot qiuter than the old days and there now changing diesels over to natural gas, theres big fuel changes coming in the next ten years, small V6 diesels are going to make a big show,

Javi1

Waco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/14 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that as travel trailers and RV's continue to become larger and heavier you will see a growth in the number of diesels in order to economically move them across the country. I know in my case when we because TT owners again it just wasn't plausible to keep the 1/2 ton gasser any longer. Now with the purchase of a 12K gross 5'er on the horizon I am glad I made the choice to go diesel.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/14 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too soon to tell IMHO.

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/14 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it will be very interesting to see the total costs of operating a smaller turbo charged gas and against a smaller turbo diesel.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/14 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO they are always looking for a way to change the rules of the game. Don't get me wrong I love Diesels. However, the upkeep is much higher, fuel is higher,it will require a lot of certification of mechanics to work on them, (that is going to increase the price of service). While longegivity is better, the fuel mileage has come way down on the bigger diesels. Fuel prices will probably rise substantially as diesel fuel competes with heating oil for market.

Chuck_thehammer

Georgia/ oHIo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/14 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

long term. diesel. after the major change...

making more cars with diesel.. so it becomes the bigger fuel user... lower diesel fuel prices...

electronics and direct injection.. cleaner diesel fuel.

rmasonschneider

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/14 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's alot of things to consider. It would be highly presumptuous of us to expect the same if not similar reliability and output of the cast iron blocks from aluminum. Few things are for certain though, price of diesel will rise and the maintenance will not be cheap. IMHO, Rving in C+ MH in general is a lifestyle that is on the decline with the newer generation entering the market over the next 10-20 years.

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/14 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Javi1 wrote:

I think that as travel trailers and RV's continue to become larger and heavier you will see a growth in the number of diesels in order to economically move them across the country.

Actually the trend in the RV industry is lighter. "Half-ton towable" is the new industry tagline, trying to grow the RV segement altogether by convincing newbies they don't need an HD truck to buy an RV.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/14 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Between 40 and 70% of all vehicles sold in Europe are diesels, in the USA market 2 to 3% of cars are diesel.

Euro diesels are fuel efficient, reliable, quiet and diesel is 33% more efficient than gasoline..which more than offsets the price difference because of an average of 10 miles per gallon more with diesel.

A small drawback is that although diesel has a higher energy output per gallon than gasoline, it takes approximately 25 percent more crude oil to make a gallon of diesel oil than it does to make a gallon of gasoline.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Move to diesel engines across the RV spectrum a fad?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS