Woodalls Open Roads Forum: For those of you that camp frequently
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> For those of you that camp frequently

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
michigansandzilla

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/14 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Especially when you and your spouse have jobs and you have kids, do you ever feel that you aren't supported by your friends and family?

I don't particularly care what other people think of how I raise my family, I'm going to do what I feel is right. But, I have recently noticed a change in attitude regarding my camping experiences.

At first, a lot of people didn't understand why I would want to camp. Fine with me. I'm sure some think we are rich. Couldn't be farther from the truth but all of you here know how we adjust priorities to camp.

A few had campers and did understand and they were happy for us.

This year (and perhaps part of last year) may very well turn out to be the perfect storm of frequent vacation/camping. Who knows what next year will bring so we want to seize the opportunity and take advantage of it. We are utilizing every single day of available vacation time and have about 10 trips planned. 4 are within one hour of home and are simple weekend trips. 3 are within three hours of home. And 3 are over 500 miles away.
With these plans in place, when I have discussions with my camping friends, I have noticed a change in attitude. They are not quite as supportive. Some have even rolled their eyes. One person made an off-hand joke that I "travel everywhere. Next year you'll be going to Russia!"

Dare I say they are jealous? I'm not trying to brag, but you'd think simply discussing mutual interests would be a nice way to pass the time.

For now, I feel like I am going to have to be careful about how much I reveal and I just may turn into a "closet-camper!"

Has anyone else experienced this?

2012 Shadow Cruiser 280 QBS
2010 Ford Expedition XLT 4X4
3 growing kids and 2 big dogs

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/14 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our 35+ years of camping, we have never experienced this. We begin scheduling state park trips when they open for reservations, 6 months ahead of the trip and are now looking at possibilities for vacation in the fall. The only funny issue I had was with a co-worker who travels a lot but has never camped in any way. I took her into our rather small 5th wheel and she was amazed. She could not believe that there was a "living room, kitchen, bath, and bedroom!" I have no idea what she thought the inside of RV's looked like but she was really surprised.
Enjoy your travels with your family. You are making memories with your family that will bring them smiles, laughter, and discussions that will last their entire lives!

phenrichs

Watertown, SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/14 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find that most are jealous. A few have gone out and bought a camper and now come with us on several trips. Even the family is now looking at getting into it.

2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/14 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandzilla,

I have to ask.
¿¿What does it matter who is supportive??

If you and your family are enjoying it, why let others rain (or other) on your good times. An acquaintance can't even imagine missing a football game on TV (he could just record it and play back only the 20 minutes of actual playing time), so just his wife accompanied us to a folk festival. When we got home, he was angry because she didn't leave him enough prepared food.

Others have different values. As child, I was part of a family that always traveled (by boat) and nobody understood how we lived then.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

michigansandzilla

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/14 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phenrichs wrote:

I find that most are jealous. A few have gone out and bought a camper and now come with us on several trips. Even the family is now looking at getting into it.

You have to be right, I'm thinking it's jealousy.
Sounds like it turned out nice for your family. I'd like to see our families come with us, but so far we have been unable to convince them that they CAN make it work.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/14 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have kids and jobs and have not experienced any backlash. Our friends support our camping and are happy for us. We camp as much as we can. We seldom travel anywhere without camper. We do beaches,mountains,private parks,resorts, state & COE parks and occasionally boondock. We use the RV as a hotel we the need arises.
Our friends and family understand we like to camp and camping is an important priority for us. They have learned to give us lots of advanced warning if they really want/need us to attend an event,otherwise we will not be there because we are camping.
I have never felt/recieved any ill will due to are desire to camp.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

michigansandzilla

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/14 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

Sandzilla,

I have to ask.
¿¿What does it matter who is supportive??

Matt

Truthfully, it does not matter to me if they are supportive. I'm going to do what I want to do. However, it would be nice to discuss trips/plans with those that like to camp.
Those that didn't understand camping, we chose different topics to discuss. Now with my camping buddies, they are not supportive. I'm losing my receptive audience, that's all.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/14 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Among my non-camping friends, we just did not discuss it as there was no mutual interest.

With my camping friends we, of course, discussed camping.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/14 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think they are a bit envious of our camping lifestyle. They tend to cling to their choice of hotel living and condo renting which we also enjoy on occasion.

A lot of it might just come from their unwillingness to ask for help in choosing the right first step for themselves. It's very noticeable on here when we constantly see newbies announcing that they bought their first rig, and are now having great difficulties with it.

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/14 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't really care if friends are supportive or not..
Family..just wife, dog and me. We ALL are supportive of one another when it comes to camping.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> For those of you that camp frequently
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues