Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Taste of things to come?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Taste of things to come?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/14 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were ready to leave our campsite this a.m. when my husband wrenched his back and could hardly move. We could not stay in that site so I had to get us moved. For the first time ever, I could not unhook the services and hook up the TV by myself. I had to ask for help. I was able to get it set-up at another site but left it hitched to the truck. We will stay for a few days until he is feeling better. This was a real eye-opener for me. I am wondering if we need to start looking for a rig with more electronic assistance (levelers, awning)or should go back to a Class B. We like the size and flexibility of our small (22') TT but I camped in our B by myself with no problem. What do others do? lizzie

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/14 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kudos on your baptism by fire. Don't worry about changing RVs, after a few more times it'll be second nature.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/14 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lizzie
if you don't Have them
think about an electric (12v) TT jack
and a hitch camera on the truck
this will make raising the TT for hitching easy
and the camera will let you see the coupler, so you can back right under the coupler

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/14 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm moving to a "B" from a TT for similar reasons. I can hitch/unhitch, but the driving to the storage area/picking up/hitching/driving to RV park or boondock site/unhitching, then reversing the process. With limited time off (weekends mainly), my trailer tends to sit idle other than a festival for the first quarter of the year.

A smaller rig means you can park it at the house... hop in, you are camping.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks for a "B", I'd highly recommend a short class "C" that gets leveled by a mash of a button.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/14 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

Kudos on your baptism by fire. Don't worry about changing RVs, after a few more times it'll be second nature.

I agree. Practice a little more before making any major RV changes.

There are many different ways to complete each step. Find new ones that are easier. It's how I cope with old age and becoming slowly more disabled.

You can do it!

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/14 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The power tongue jack is well worth it if you don't have one already. We love ours. It came with our new trailer but if it did not, it would be the first thing I would add.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/14 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lizzie,

First, you should be proud that you managed.

All the power stuff that people are talking about is fine and dandy, but first you need to learn what to do.
To that end, Make Lists.

Make an arrival and set up list.
Make a hitch up and departure list.

As you have already figured out, there is nothing required that you can't do. If there is something that requires more strength than you have, then figure out how to cheat. Unless you are boondocking (really boondocking) all alone, there will always be some man that you can impose on to do that. (Just be sure you meet the wife first.) If you want to add a power tongue jack, that is fine, just be sure that you know how to make it work when the power goes down. All of that fancy stuff breaks down at the worst time.

Electronic levels, they are fine but know how to do without them.

Recently, I had the unfortunate opportunity to teach a widow friend how to deal with all the parts of her (once their) old coach (TT). She had never done any of the stuff that routinely needs to happen. We made lists. She drove all the way to our back lot and set up and hooked up for the night and after breakfast, she worked her way through the departure and drove the rig home. And, she took it someplace almost every weekend the rest of the season.

You can do it - too.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/14 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the answer depends on why you had to ask for help, which is sorta unclear in your opener. If it was only because the rig is new to you and you aren't quite confident in your understanding of how things work, that just takes time to overcome.

But if you found things to be beyond your actual strength, then my advice would be, yes, get things set up with whatever mechanical assists you think would substitute for extra hands etc.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/14 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First - Wishing your husband a good recovery - I had a couple of incapacitating back pain episodes about ten years ago, once while traveling alone outside the US on business and another while chartering a sailboat in the Caribbean, so I'm really sympathetic. Never comes at a good time.

One reason a B was attractive to me (of many) was - we both could easily drive it. You already know how fast an simple the set-up and departure is. If switching back to a B = a better comfort level = more trips, I'd say keep the B on the short list.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/14 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But if you found things to be beyond your actual strength, then my advice would be, yes, get things set up with whatever mechanical assists you think would substitute for extra hands etc.

Agree. It's unclear WHY you couldn't hook/unhook. If it's physical, what Francesca has said is great advice. If it's lack of familiarity, then just practice. I hooked/unhooked our toad a bazillion times on our street, as did my son, just to get used to it. I used to love to hook up our 5er because I was better at engaging the hitch pin in one shot than hubby was. I learned how to drive our Endura (35 footer) the true trial by fire method. We got it one week before we were leaving on vacation and the tires needed to be balanced. There's one specialty shop in my area in the CITY of Lowell. Hubby couldn't get time off from work, so two days after he drove it home I drove it into Lowell to get the tires balanced. Lost all my fears at that point.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Taste of things to come?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS