Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Pound of Butter in my heat ducts! Oh Nooooooooo!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pound of Butter in my heat ducts! Oh Nooooooooo!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
BobsYourUncle

Surrey, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sigh! Here we go again with another story in the adventures of Bob!

Saturday night I left the coast of BC to head to Alberta to work. I was late getting away - left at 9PM. 2 AM I pull into Salmon Arm and Wallydocked overnight there.

Got into Calgary around 5 PM Sunday, had the evening to set up the TT, put stuff away, cleaned the floors and so on. Hung my clothes up and put things in the drawers etc. Usual stuff.

Open the fridge, arrange the groceries I brought with me, take the new pound of butter out and place it in my little rectangular Rubbermaid container I bought just for that purpose many years ago. Stick it on the counter by the wall, beside the stove where I always keep it...... Pay attention to this detail!!

Worked into the night, got everything the way I like it and went to bed about midnight.

Up at 6:40, furnace is blowing cold so I go outside and switch bottles. Furnace still blowing cold and the refer check light is on. Hmmm, guess I forgot to fill the bottle last time out and now they are both empty. No sweat, take them off and go get them filled and flash up the fridge and furnace again. lots of heat now.

OK, time to hit the trail, first work project is clear across the city in the opposite corner. I leave the furnace running so it can catch up to my little outage. A while later I arrive, unhitch the TT and quickly level it, going inside to stick my level on the fridge.

Hmmmm whats that funny smell? Oh well check it out later.

Later comes along and I go into the TT to get something. Theres that funny smell again. This time I pay attention, standing there sniffing it in to try and identify it.

Sniff sniff sniff, seems familiar.. Not sure. Kinda smells like melted butter......

MELTED BUTTER!!!!! I cast a quick glance to the counter and my butter container is gone! Where is it?

I look on the floor under my table and there it is.
It went off the counter slid across the floor and scored a perfect bullseye, on its side, directly on top of my heat register!! And of course, the furnace is running so I need not say where the butter went.....

I drop to the floor, quickly grab it and the danged thing is empty! And there is no butter on the floor.

Ohhhhhh man - a full pound of butter, melted and running in my heat ducts. What are the chances??? extremely remote, for sure.

I bet NOBODY here has ever had that happen.

So now what? How on earth am I going to get a pound of molten butter out of my heat ducts. Ewwwww.

Maybe if I get a big rag soaked in acetone or gasoline and run it in there somehow. Should be ok until the furnace starts up! BOOM!!! No more butter in there. No more TT. No more Bob!! Nah, better think of something else.

Gee whiz, what a disgusting mess. And I have to keep the furnace running to keep the place warm. The stuff will not harden.

Man o man, how to remove it. Can't get my arm on there, the duct is too small.

What to do, what to do?

I hope ants don't like butter...

And why is it that every time I came in the TT today I got this weird craving for popcorn?

Sigh.....

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

81 Citation 25' "Tail dragger" "Under construction"

"Workin' man's rig"

Bob's Trucks

Check Out My Rebuild Project

Project Feedback

mrquacker

iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/14 12:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slick story.

How about, getting some oil dry, or some other absorbent/dry mixture (non powdery), park TT on slope and let the gooy mess run into the absorber?

Ants? Maybe get an ant farm and let the little bugs clean it up?

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Push a fish tape to the next register, tie a rag or paper towel to it and start pushing and pulling it back and forth to soak it up. It will take quite a few towels and a bit of time.

2010 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Long bed, 4 x 4,Dually, Lights & Siren!

2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eeeeeeeew! Thats just plain old nasty. Add chopped garlic and at least it will smell like a french rv.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know!...... with all these stories some pics would be good!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 12yrs
Daughter Marissa 11yrs
Dog Shadow

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese HP dualcam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don,t worry the mice will be along in about a hour, I like the oil dry on the hill DO NOT USE GAS. a good grease cutter and rags . if its metal duck ,find a small sewer snake and run it back and fourth withe the clean, a pine sole cleaner would work.

Beartoo

Perham MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/14 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let the ants loose, when they clean up the butter get an ant eater to clean up the ants. When the ant eater gets all the you can eat the buttery ant filled ant eater. Taste finger licking good I bet.

DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Kitty litter. A good shop vac with a pointy tool. Don't wait for the butter to go rancid. Good Luck!

On a warming note--my magic carpets are making a HUGE comfort level difference. They appear to have dropped the number of watts needed to some extent as well.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

You know!...... with all these stories some pics would be good!

X2!!!!!!

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/14 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got nothing on how best to clean it up, but given that there is likely someplace along that duct a downward facing seam, I'd be surprised if the bulk of the butter wasn't dripping out from under the trailer, if not yet, soon. I vote for settin' fire to it and buying a new rig.

Well, ok, maybe not. But you, too, are going to need at least a case of dope-slaps before this one's over.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pound of Butter in my heat ducts! Oh Nooooooooo!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS