Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Eastern U.S. vs Western U.S. drivers...??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Eastern U.S. vs Western U.S. drivers...??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
StephJohn2010

Black Hills, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/14 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There seems to be a distinct difference between driver's attitudes on the east coast versus driver's attitudes on the west, isn't there? Been in the eastern time zone for 1 month and it has already been a lifetime of premeditated/blatant/dangerous cut offs while we are driving our toad around. Why are people such rude drivers over here? Just today: I was patiently waiting for a parking spot for about 90 seconds with my blinker on when some cool guy drove around me at the last second and snaked the spot from me. He saw me too because he was sneaking up behind me. That happened once to me in the last 20 years of traveling west of Mississippi.

We are planning on traveling up the east coast over the next 7 months and hope this Florida mentality doesn't continue.

Keep it up east coast... less and less tourism dollars will be coming your way.

Needed to vent... Do you know of any "none rude " eastern destinations? Don't want to spend money elsewhere.

John & Steph
RV Daily Life Video Blog
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (8,700 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2012 Toyota Prius - Dolly'd 2,000 miles so far
2007 Prius - Dolly'd about 3,000 miles - Traded in 2013

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/14 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Denser populations

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably thought you had keeled over at the wheel and planned on checking on you AFTER he got parked...........nobody waits 90 seconds for a parking spot, they just keep circling until one opens up then GRAB it

After making 6 1/2 complete trips across US there are rude drivers everywhere.
Lots of good & courteous drivers...but the rude ones stick out.

Continue on your trip an ENJOY it.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/14 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avoid the DC area if that stuff bothers you. This area has some of the worst drivers. I personally love the homesteaders... the people that drive in the left lane at whatever speed they want, with complete and total disregard for any other traffic that wants to get around. We drive to Florida almost every winter for a 2 week get away. Traffic between Baltimore and Richmond is some of the most ignorant drivers I have ever seen. Once you get close to Richmond, you tend to have a lot less people just cruising in the left lane at the same exact speed as the guy in the right lane.

Another one that I love is when you are waiting to turn left across traffic or pull out of a side street/parking lot. I love it when people speed up (to a red light none the less) to avoid letting you turn in front of them. They would rather hurry up and wait longer at the light then to have the common decency to let you make your turn in front of them. I will never understand this mentality...

Turn signals are rarely used, but be careful if you do use your turn signal to change lanes... the guy behind you will SPEED UP to avoid letting you in front of him. He was perfectly fine driving at whatever speed in whatever lane... but once you decide you want to drive in his lane... he ain't having it.

Merge lanes in other areas mean that traffic should be equitable and allow traffic to merge. In the DC area it is a challenge to see who can speed up to the closed portion of the lane fastest, then cut off as many people as possible... usually slamming on their brakes in the process, thus causing a chain reaction behind them.

Parking spots are "international waters" up here too. People park wherever they want, park across multiple spots, park in the fire lane, park in the loading zone in front of the grocery store, etc.

There are some great places on the east coast to visit, but you might need to take anti-anxiety medication to deal with the traffic...

2010 Tundra built in the USA by American workers. Consistently the #1 USA made truck since 2007.
1998 Nash 22H travel trailer

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

Denser populations

Maybe denser heads

Stars101

NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL - you are in for a treat. Sorry the East Coast is living up to it's reputation. I sadly think, on a whole, that we are pretty rude here.... but some of us try. And then we lose our resolve and become pushy so that we can ever get A) to our destination and B) park.

example - on our first trip west of the Mississippi River this summer I was fumbling in my wallet for my cash. We planned a cash trip and I had divided the cash into different parts of my wallet for the day so I didn't open it up and show everyone a wad of cash (NY mentality). Before I could find it a nice older gentleman reached around me and PAID my Burger King bill! I nearly died from shame b/c he had just witnessed us pulling up in a quad cab Dodge 2500 with a new truck camper on it - so he knew we weren't broke. But he just figured that since he didn't see any cash in my wallet, that he would treat us to a $10 meal! My son kept asking "WHY did that strange man try and PAY our BILL?? Is he allowed to do something like that?" Made me realize how isolated we have become as a society in NY. You just don't see things like that on a regular basis.... sadly. So people are nicer and it shows in their actions and driving.

Do not drive slow and then "pull wide" when making a Right hand turn at a traffic light (when you are in a compact car and have no need to "swing wide"). Some moron behind you will take the hole shot and scoot around you on the left and cut you off right under the light... aaaaaand I know this because I actually did it once, with my DH in the car. He screamed, looked at me and stated, "I don't care if we eat dog food, we have to get you out of the city and back upstate before you become one of them!" LOL That was not my proudest moment and I still cringe to think about it.

But, yes, we did laugh about many driving situations that we encountered in other states that would have resulted in road rage in NY. That said, our state is very, very pretty in spots and worth a look.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and JAX, Fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

City-style rude driving every where east of the Mississippi, even in the suburbs ... and often in the rural areas too.

At least west, we get rural drivers in rural areas. City-style rude driving still lives in the west tho. Try downtown SF, or LA ... or anywhere along Hwy 101... south of SF all the way to San Diego ... or Seattle!

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad but true, there is a world of difference in standards once you cross the Appalachians. That is not to say that the west is lovely everywhere. Tacoma/Saettle can be testing & California really is a world all its own.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

StephJohn2010

Black Hills, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/14 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Probably thought you had keeled over at the wheel and planned on checking on you AFTER he got parked...........nobody waits 90 seconds for a parking spot, they just keep circling until one opens up then GRAB it

After making 6 1/2 complete trips across US there are rude drivers everywhere.
Lots of good & courteous drivers...but the rude ones stick out.

Continue on your trip an ENJOY it.

So grab it even when there is a guy who obviously has been waiting for it? My dad taught me better than that.

pompomgirl

Edmonds, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/14 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) There are all kinds of drivers everywhere. It is true, however, that certain behaviors predominate in a specific locality. Sometimes it is related to the laws - in some states, the person on the freeway has the right-of-way, in others it is the person merging.

2) Judging the East Coast by behavior in Florida is ... odd. Florida is the outlier on the East Coast in just about every category. Read a Carl Haiisen novel and imagine it set in New York. Impossible.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Eastern U.S. vs Western U.S. drivers...??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS