Woodalls Open Roads Forum: One mans opinion on how to prevent another Atlanta
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> One mans opinion on how to prevent another Atlanta

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I apologize if this post is considered inappropriate. I don't think it is though that's why I'm posting it. Anyway, a local weather forecaster from here in MN posted this on how he thinks we could avoid another Atlanta type snow storm problem

http://blogs.mprnews.org/updraft/2014/01........-prevent-the-next-atlanta-snowpocalypse/

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/14 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about people using some common since. Weather predictions are just that perdictions so don't bet you life on it. Foresight is always 20/20,

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/14 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nelson wrote:

What about people using some common since. Weather predictions are just that perdictions so don't bet you life on it. Foresight is always 20/20,

To much so called 'good' info available now that the use of 'common sense' by many nowadays is not used...maybe they don't know what 'common sense' even is as they rely on others to make THEIR decisions and then get ticked off when things go bad.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

poncho62

Hanover, Ont, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess its all what you are used to, but my Gawd, there is barely enough snow in those pictures to cover the ground. We get that much or more practically every winter day here. My back yard right now

I know the ice there compounded things, but people need to slow down and use common sense. We get those here to that think because they have a 4x4, they are invincible....not so

* This post was edited 02/01/14 12:41pm by an administrator/moderator *

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/14 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is wx remains a prediction plus drivers in the north drive in those coditions every day and become experienced drivers on snow and ice. Some of the drivers in those states probably never drove in those conditions. Plus ice on hills is a problem anywhere without proper equipment and sanding trucks. Just speculation that it could be prevented.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

rvjames

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something about snow/ice makes people (myself included) in the south revert back to the first time they were behind the wheel of a car. The vehicles here are also not prepared for it. Most folks dont purchase vehicles made for winter weather conidtions (no front wheel drive or 4x4). Not to mention the tires, many of the people on the road in the south are riding on nearly bald tires because there isnt traditionally a need for anything else. Just a big mess that will probably never be fixed.

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/14 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The use of common sense would fix most things.

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/14 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The three major Atlanta stations, the Mayor, the DOT folks,etc, have already said basically the same thing that this guy is saying, BUT...Feelings contrary to what the National Weather Services is putting out take second place. The NWS was wrong this time and the powers to be chose to follow the NWS advice and not the local advice..as the locals tend to "sensationalize" any weather event to the point you want to go into a bomb shelter for the duration and more often than not, they spend the next few days talking about what should have happened instead of what did happen. It is not easy to predict (not perdict) what will happen, else I would win all the lotteries. Lessons learned I think will help in the future.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Us out West wrote:

nelson wrote:

To much so called 'good' info available now that the use of 'common sense' by many nowadays is not used...maybe they don't know what 'common sense' even is as they rely on others to make THEIR decisions and then get ticked off when things go bad.

Amen, the govt. mantra...don't rock the boat and pass the buck.

Old Minnesota isn't immune to poor planning with roadway maintenance, either. Someone over at MNDOT decided that plows aren't to be used while it's snowing and the deicing schedule has changed. I would bet both of these are due to budget trimming. In past time, plows were out at the first snowflake and sand/salt was spread so that intersections and roadways melted out before the storm had finished. Now, most of the secondary roads have sheets of built up ice that isn't going away until traffic or weather does the job.

FWIW, when I lived in Houston there was a local TV weatherman that was so poor on forecasting that they put his talents against a cow owned by a local rancher. Depending on the way the cow rubbed against the fences and moved in the corral indicated changes in the weather. They ran this contest for a month or so and the cow won out handily.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Escargot

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Opinions are like...
everyone has one.
It happened.
Lessons were learned.
Move on.