Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Calling all Geezers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Calling all Geezers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a geezer too just a yungin though.
Watching a bit on the history channel about early roads and vehicles, in the US. I remember redding a long time back about the adventures of Eisenhower and an army Detachment, traveling across America with virtually no roads.
There aare a few of us that are old enough, I'm thinking, That might remember the early days of RVing of as ort across America, in the twenties and perhaps their Parent's talking about such. back then People would just pick up and "go to Texas." They took tents and provisions, so it was sorta RVing. Dad talked about horsee and horse and wagon travel was still common in the twenties and thirties, in this part of the Country. I think, fro mthe things related to me by Grand Ma the old home place on the Nick ajack Trail, that served as an Inn and Stagecoach stop still was functioning up until the twenties. Grand Ma's older Sister sold Biscuits and Coffee to them.
Anywho Anyone have any tales or memories of of adventures of traveling across the Country far back? Such as stuck in a ditch, for a week, fighting off cougars, sights and experiences. Ought to be some interesting tales out there.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my Family Favorite "road trip" story:

My Mother and Father met while both were in the Navy during WWII. At the end of the war both were mustered out in California, which is where they decided they'd marry.

But how to break it to Mom's folks in New Jersey? Drive back there, knock on the door, and tell 'em, of course!

They and another ex-sailor friend piled into an old open car with tents/blankets etc., not to mention a five gallon can of used motor oil which they replenished at regular intervals from gas stations' used oil tanks along the way. This last because the car burned so much oil they had to stop/add more every fifty miles or so...

Two weeks after setting out, they were in Haddonfield, New Jersey. My unsuspecting Grandparents were so scandalized that Mom had traveled cross country with two ex-sailors that they told her she'd better marry one of them, and they didn't even care which one!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

up2nogood

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/14 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

My Mother and Father met while both were in the Navy during WWII. At the end of the war both were mustered out in California, which is where they decided they'd marry.

But how to break it to Mom's folks in New Jersey? Drive back there, knock on the door, and tell 'em, of course!

They and another ex-sailor friend piled into an old open car with tents/blankets etc., not to mention a five gallon can of used motor oil which they replenished at regular intervals from gas stations' used oil tanks along the way. This last because the car burned so much oil they had to stop/add more every fifty miles or so...

Two weeks after setting out, they were in Haddonfield, New Jersey. My unsuspecting Grandparents were so scandalized that Mom had traveled cross country with two ex-sailors that they told her she'd better marry one of them, and they didn't even care which one!

Nice story .

F105

Keller Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/14 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

What a nice story and just goes to show how much has changed over time. Un married people traveling together is not at all unusual in many peoples minds today.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not many now days remember those days before modern Freeways.. Which did not come into existence till Eisenhower made it to the big house with the number 1600 on it. Yup, folks our Freeway system is only about 60 years old.. Actually Henry Ford built the first one.. The Davison in Detroit. But it is only a few miles long.

The national system was signed into existence by President Eisenhower.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only as far back as using a hi-top conversion van to travel/camp!

And sometimes wishing I was still traveling in that van especially when I need gas and trying to figure out if I can get the Queen Mary and the Toad in and out of the gas station since I can no longer back up in my RV!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

... and it was called the "National Defense Highway System".

The purpose was to connect the centers of manufacturing with the military bases.

In the 60s when war was unpopular, it was renamed the "Interstate Highway System".

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family didn't camp as dad was a grain dealer and summer was the busy season, but my Wife's family made several trips "out west" when she was little.

The most talked about trip started one Friday afternoon when her Aunt and Uncle called and said they were heading to Estes Park the next day, did they want to tag along? Her Mom called her Dad at his mechanic shop and the decision was made. He changed the oil and filter in the '49 Ford sedan while Mom started washing clothes for the trip. By midnight they were packed and went to bed.

Early Saturday morning they started out and met the relatives at the junction of Hwy. 2 & 65 in southern Iowa, and lit out for Colorado.

Meals were just a stop along side the highway under a tree and the evening stop was usually the same thing except a surplus Army tent gave shelter. A small campfire allowed for a hot supper and some heat late in the evenings. Several photos show the cars and campsite 50 feet off the road. Sure couldn't do that these days!

This was a 2 week trip with 2 adults, and 4 kids in a 4 door Ford car, along with clothes, food, and camping gear. Quite an adventure.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2011 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/14 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Not many now days remember those days before modern Freeways.. Which did not come into existence till Eisenhower made it to the big house with the number 1600 on it. Yup, folks our Freeway system is only about 60 years old.. Actually Henry Ford built the first one.. The Davison in Detroit. But it is only a few miles long.

Actually, 90% of The Davison is in Highland Park, which is a seperate incorporated city within the boundaries of Detroit. Highland Park was able to prevent annexation by Detroit because prior to River Rouge in Dearborn, a majority of Ford's facilities were located there along with Chrysler headquarters. Highland Park has a total area of approximately 4 square miles. It had a massive industrial tax base for such a small city.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/14 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My grandparents traveled with their three oldest children in a Model T touring car from western Montana to the PNW, down to Calfornia, and across the South to Georgia and Florida before moving north to Ohio, and eventually Michigan.

Not a RV trip, it was more than several years, long enough for the oldest to finish school, the last two to be born and reach school age. The trip was about finding work for the family during the Depression: planting, harvesting, cutting timber, building roads and railroads, building barns, sheds and houses. Shelter on the road was a tent or fly attached to the car, at work sites it was what the employer provided or what they could quickly build.

Full timing, but not RVing. Not camping. It was about making a living for roughlya decade of the Depression. Neither of my grandparents ever drove, it was something the youngsters took care of.

Many people still do this, I meet them in municipal or county RV parks in the parts of the country where work is hard labor and temporary. Whole families, now usually a couple cars, and some type of RV, maybe even two, converted to permanent living.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Calling all Geezers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: