Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Bad news??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bad news??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/14 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone please talk me in off the ledge. We have owned various RVs for the past 18 years. We have always been able to store them on our property. When we moved into our current home, we had the driveway widened and installed HD outlet and we have kept our RV in the driveway for 7 years. Never a complaint from the neighbors. In December, one of our local police officers wrote up everyone that has an RV/Boat in their driveway. When I called him to see what the problem was, he said, 'He was just cleaning some things up for the end of the year, no complaint-just an ordinance violation'.
I called my councilman, he said the cop was out of line. There is an ordinance but they never enforce it unless there is a complaint. We could file for a variance.
Well, about $300 later, (cost of variance request procedure), they denied our request and we have 30 days to move it.
Everyone agrees that an appeal is a good way to lose some more money.
I've been spoiled having it at home and I'm ready to sell it, rather than have to store it.
Those of you that store your RVs, tell me it's something I can get used to, and I'll be sorry if I sell it. TIA, I just need some reassurance.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/14 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I count my blessings every day being able to store my two RV Trailers at home in CAMP BACK YARD...

I would probably move if I had to take them somewhere to be stored...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

pompomgirl

Edmonds, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/14 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are strongly considering a move to a locale where the neighborhood association rules don't allow RVs. It is the only negative about this move - everything else would be better for us, including a much lower cost of living even including the RV storage cost. It seems like it will feel weird not to have the MH right next to the house where we can baby it and take care of it, but we are scouting out storage facilities that are close enough that we could go by once a week and check on it, and that may have to do. We definitely want storage under cover (preferably indoor) and/or someone living on the property, and we will probably install an alarm. My advice is ... if we can do it, you can do it. Is it worth giving up RVing for?

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/14 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've stored mine for 10 years, and will continue to store it for the next 10 years - God willing.

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/14 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am wondering since all of your neibors were cited for the offence what there thoughts are.

Could you all get together and go to council and submit a request for varience together? Sometimes numbers make a difference. Also was it just your neiborhood that was cited? If so why? My hubby and I would want all our questions and concerns answered as to why the sudden change when there were no complaints.

We have out TT either in our Driveway or our neibors year round. Also our boat sits beside our house. We have had no complaints in 10 years. If all of a sudden things changed, we would fight it. However if the final answer was not in our favor we certainly would not move.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/14 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you PomPom girl. I am worried about the worst case scenarios, of course-vandalism, damage, etc. There are some nearby outdoor lots nearby. Like I said, I LOVE my little camper and it kills me to have her out of my sight. Hate the thought of selling her, especially since I was looking forward to using her more this year.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/14 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loulou57 wrote:

I am wondering since all of your neibors were cited for the offence what there thoughts are.

Could you all get together and go to council and submit a request for varience together? Sometimes numbers make a difference. Also was it just your neiborhood that was cited? If so why? My hubby and I would want all our questions and concerns answered as to why the sudden change when there were no complaints.

We have out TT either in our Driveway or our neibors year round. Also our boat sits beside our house. We have had no complaints in 10 years. If all of a sudden things changed, we would fight it. However if the final answer was not in our favor we certainly would not move.

I was able to speak to two of my neighbors about this. They each received a violation. One guy already had a variance since the 80's, so he just called the borough and he was ok. The other neighbor is an elderly gentlemen with a sick wife. He was going to fight it, but decided to have it moved. There has been some political nonsense going on in this borough and there's a new regime in town. We apparently are not in the inner circle. The variance hearing was very nasty. I had detailed photos/measurements, etc. My hardship was that among other things, there was a telephone pole, trees, slopes, fences, AC units, etc. that prevented me from parking the RV anywhere besides the driveway. They told me that I had violated an ordinance by parking it in my driveway. If they granted my variance, everyone would be parking illegally. They have to 'protect the other residents'.

tegu69

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/14 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take it there's no room on the side of the house, or is that forbotten too. We used to store our fw inside storage 50' bay for 100/mnth and the wife still likes it next to our house. At least we never had leaves and things on top and didn't have to worry about cleaning it very often. Problem was that it was about 10 miles away. We had an overactive code guy in our town a long time ago. I think the people around here probably complained him out of a job. Last time I saw him he was selling cars. Now I think they are only doing something if there is a complaint. The guy next door to me has his boat in his driveway for about a year now and nobody complains. I'm not. Hang in there, its probably worth the price for going camping.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/14 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around our neck of the woods the appeal process normally gets the issue before a board that was elected. I have found that the elected officials tend to listen more to the "voters" than the appointed council that just looks at the wording of the law and conclude by saying, "our hands are tied".

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/14 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have to store our RV in a local storage facility. We knew this was going to be added expensive to owning it, but we never considered not buying it because of it. Actually, we just upgraded our truck from a 250 so we can get a bigger RV. Storage so far has been fine, a pretty safe environment. We park it in our driveway for up to a week when loading up, and the same when we get back.

Nancy, Doug and Penny (the Boston)
2012 KZ Durango 1500 295CS FW
2012 Ford 350 Diesel SRW King Ranch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bad news??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts