Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Sleeping Bag
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Sleeping Bag

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Mfar1234

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/14 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whats a GOOD "0 degree" sleeping bag at a decent price?

Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/14 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id get a Marmot sleeping bag. Not sure where but they're usually decently priced!

WoodGlue

homedad

mid-michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/14 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about L.L.Bean? I saw a couple for $300-$400 Down to-20Deg. 100% Guaranteed to last.

CC Crabman

Corpus Christi, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/14 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holiday Inn.

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/14 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kelty is another brand:

Kelty At Amazon

It's not until you hit the $100.00 price point that you'll start hitting "down" usually!

WoodGlue

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/14 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have access to electricity, take a long extension cord and an electric blanket. Put the electric blanket inside the sleeping bag, and even a moderate sleeping bag will be comfy in the coldest weather. I discovered this trick AFTER we quit tent camping. Who says you have to 100% rough it?

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/14 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I can't help you with a sleeping bag in the US.

When we use our tent we have 2 sleeping bags we bought about 20 years ago. They are filled with artificial fibre no down. They are rated to -10 C. They definitely have been used in colder weather and are fine.

My hubby is 6'3" and 250lbs. We zip 2 together and sleep "natural". Sleeping that way we tend to be warmer. ( not why you are thinking, LOL)

If it is in the summer we do not zip them to gether but use one for the bottom, then sheets and we can use the other bag if cold.

We have found that it is not always the more expensive bag to be the best. Look for one that you can wash rather than dry clean. We found when dry cleaned the chemical really stays with the bag a long time.

If you have a MEC store close or you can order online they have some great products and they guarantee everything for life!!!!!!!

* This post was edited 02/13/14 09:48pm by loulou57 *

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/14 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many. Check out REI and/or Campmore for starters.
Sort of depends on if you want it to be light weight and compressible for backpacking and are willing to sleep in some of your clothing or if you want it for car camping comfort.

I am in the process of shopping for two new backpacking bags myself and my wife. At the present, I am considering using a lightweight quilt (~900 goose down fill) or double sleeping bag with about 9" of loft and a coupler (no insulation underneath) to form a large semi-rectangular sleeping bag for two. Our highly insulating NeoAir thermarests will provide the needed insulation under us.
This combination should be comfortable for my wife and I down to about 15 degrees and weight about 2 lbs. For us it is all about weight which is the only reason I am considering it in the first place with its ~$800 price tag. For car camping, you can find something much less expensive.

Something to think about if you are (or have along) a women is that in the last few years, the better manufactures have been making gender specific sleeping bags. They (the manufactures) have finally figured out that women usually sleep cooler than men (probably took a government study to determine this...) so they are making women's sleeping bags with more insulation than men's for the same temperature rating. At first I though it was marketing hype, until I looked at the loft for two comparable bags other than the gender.

Probably more information than you were after but I hope it helps some,

Steve

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/14 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like Steve suggested , try REI. and look at a Space Blanket to put under your sleeping pad. They look like a plastic tarp with aluminum foil bonded to one side. I use the good one( I think it is made by Thermos ) and it is amazing how much warmer it is than without it. It seems to reflect the heat back at you. If you are in a damp area you want synthetic fill rather than down.
I have slept too many nights in a tent in the winter and have most of the tricks down to being comfortable.

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax ( let the outfitting begin)
2006 GMC 2500 CC 4X4 Duramax,Rancho 9000's, Timbrens, Tork Lift Tiedowns, Tork Lift Derringers (traded on new one)
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/14 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve...we have stayed away from the down sleeping bags. Other family members have bought them and found that they tend to get thin quickly due to loss of feathers. If the down gets wet, it stays wet for a long time. Humidity can have an affect on the down also. There are many lightweight bags that are very warm.

Do you have a MEC store close? You could look online also. They guarantee for life!!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Sleeping Bag
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS