Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: NC to NJ, 95 or 13?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> NC to NJ, 95 or 13?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
blessdx11

montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/14 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Working our way from NC to Fort Dix to see our boy before he deploys. We have not gone up this way before; should we take 95 through DC and peel off and take 301 east, or should we take 13 along the coast, through the tunnel, and go up through DE? We have a 40+ toy hauler.
Advice appreciated!

camperfamily

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/14 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've driven from NJ to South Carolina, Virgina etc. Depending where I'm going I either take the Chesapeake Bay/Bridge Tunnel and go up the Delmarva or go the more inland route and take I-81 to I-78 into NJ. The roads and traffic around DC are something that I don't enjoy and avoid.

This time of year watch the weather, 81 in the mountains can be interesting. If you take the bay/bridge just make sure your propane is OFF, they do have a pull-out area and will ask. There is a nice big rest stop at the northern end of the bridge where you can stop and turn it back on and rest if needed.

I forget the exact details but some of the tunnels on 95 through DC doe NOT allow propane and you have to go around. Tolls and roads I found stressful.

Drive safe!

2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

blessdx11

montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/14 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TY!
We are coming up 95 (in SC tonight), so we are pretty far east to go out to 81, and wanted to stay away from the mountains. We've not been to DC, and figured that about the traffic
We were wondering about peeling off at Emporia, NC and heading over to Chesapeake through the tunnel, and taking 13 up the coast as our GPS will not let us chose that for a route, and were wondering if there was a reason.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/14 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

13 is a bit longer but a lot less stressful. If you have plenty of time and don't mind adding a few hours to the trip take 13.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

jk31668

so. new jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/14 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like 95 to bowling green and pick up 301 there then to rte 50 and the annapolis bay bridge. Stay on 301 to middletown, del. Take 299 across town to rt 1 north and then you can cut back over to I 95 or onto 13. Both come together at the del mem bridge and 295n or the nj turnpike.

esyers

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/14 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/14 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter when you go through the DC area, you will hit traffic. 13 is a nice route, but if you're going to add time, you may as we'll take 95. You cannot go through the 95 tunnel in Baltimore. I would not consider 81 to 78 to get to Dix. This brings you at least an hour nouth of Dix.

trop-a-cal

Palm Coast Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/14 04:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch the weather as the bay bridge and tunnel can be closed to high profile vehicles. The DC area is best between 9AM and 3PM Baltimore tunnel can be bypassed using 695 which is truck route and no tunnel.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/14 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trop-a-cal wrote:

Watch the weather as the bay bridge and tunnel can be closed to high profile vehicles. The DC area is best between 9AM and 3PM Baltimore tunnel can be bypassed using 695 which is truck route and no tunnel.

I agree except the DC window is closer to 10:00 to 2:00 and even then there are no guarantees!

sunnybrooktoyhauler

new jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/14 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take 95 cross Delaware major bridge into jersey. Get on 295 north to route 70 east. This will run you just east of the base. Ask your son if you can stay on base. Please thank your son for serving.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> NC to NJ, 95 or 13?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS