Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Regional Weirdness Examples
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Regional Weirdness Examples

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
tsetsaf

Full-Timer

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently staying in the Phoenix area and, like many regions around the US, there are some unique customs and habits that would seem down right odd anywhere else. The single strangest thing we have noticed is:

Raking the rocks!

They take a rake and pull it through the gravel to make distinct lines and patterns. It is a weird custom but actually ends in a neat and tidy appearance that really spruces up a location.

What weird things have you spotted around the country?

2006 Dodge 3500 5.9L CTD 6spd Manual SB SRW - Pullrite SG - Ride Rite Airbags - Rickson 19.5 Steelies 150K and going strong
2014 Premier Elite 44' Fifth Wheel... calm down it is within the weight limits of my truck.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towards the east coast and northern states the folks there take these big wide shovels and move this white stuff around...they don't like it on their walkways and driveways but seem to like it on their trees and lawns.

On hiking trails and on the beaches of California folks will stack rocks. You see these stacks of 4 to 8 rocks, stacked on a larger rock.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

Towards the east coast and northern states the folks there take these big wide shovels and move this white stuff around...they don't like it on their walkways and driveways but seem to like it on their trees and lawns.

The really weird part is, we could move where there is no or little white stuff.
But, we chose to stay here..........and I don't know why.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband grew up in Louisiana, and the weirdest thing he does that he blames on regional influence is putting peanuts in his Coke bottle before he drinks it.

I myself have lived in the Pacific Northwest all my life and therefore HAVE no weird regional habits.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the strangest I've encountered is the driving on the shoulder in Texas. I believe they refer to just about any two lane with a 4 foot shoulder as "a Texas Four Lane". They would arrest folks for doing that in many states (including mine). The only scary thing for me is trying to figure out what I'd do if I had a flat tire. Thinking maybe park in the middle of the road lol cause almost NOBODY drives there.

Another that I've noticed in a NUMBER of different areas is folks drive almost every night with both headlights and fog lights on but when it's foggy during the day they don't bother turning either of them on at all. Never did understand either one of those myself.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

My husband grew up in Louisiana, and the weirdest thing he does that he blames on regional influence is putting peanuts in his Coke bottle before he drinks it.

That is a wonderful thing to do! The Coke has to be in the small 6-1/2 ounce green glass bottle and peanuts have to be a bag of Tom's (Lance will work in a crunch). It taste even better sitting on an empty Coke crate (which is standing on end) in front of a corner "fillin' station."

Our Web Albums Temporary Web Albums
2006 Yellowstone SE, 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L and 2011 Tidewater 1900 Bay Max

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotbyte wrote:

Francesca Knowles wrote:

That is a wonderful thing to do! The Coke has to be in the small 6-1/2 ounce green glass bottle and peanuts have to be a bag of Tom's (Lance will work in a crunch). It taste even better sitting on an empty Coke crate (which is standing on end) in front of a corner "fillin' station."

You mean he's been telling the TRUTH all these many long years???

Next thing I'll find out is that his favorite breakfast, "kush" ( stale cornbread crumbled and topped with poached eggs), is also a regional delicacy and not just something he invented as a Desperate College Student....

shakyjay

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/14 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tsetsaf wrote:

We are currently staying in the Phoenix area and, like many regions around the US, there are some unique customs and habits that would seem down right odd anywhere else. The single strangest thing we have noticed is:

Raking the rocks!

They take a rake and pull it through the gravel to make distinct lines and patterns. It is a weird custom but actually ends in a neat and tidy appearance that really spruces up a location.

What weird things have you spotted around the country?

Sounds like a Japanese Zen Garden, not strange or weird at all.

2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd have to leave it to someone else to decide if our habits are weird!

*One thing you may notice if you drive our 2 lanes in this region is everyone waves at every vehicle they meet.

*Most folks around here don't put a huge amount of labor into drawing attention to themselves, being vain or overdoing anything.

*Woman don't worry about putting on make-up when they get on the tractor to go feed cattle or the haying or head to town for groceries.

*Men and women wear insulated coveralls to town, as well as pac/muck boots, and old worn coats and hats.

*We don't worry about keeping our trucks or cars spotlessly clean because one drive over a dirt road whether dry or muddy returns it to its former state of dirtiness therefore washing is an exercise in futility!

Now if that's weird...

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/14 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

One of the strangest I've encountered is the driving on the shoulder in Texas. I believe they refer to just about any two lane with a 4 foot shoulder as "a Texas Four Lane". They would arrest folks for doing that in many states (including mine). The only scary thing for me is trying to figure out what I'd do if I had a flat tire. Thinking maybe park in the middle of the road lol cause almost NOBODY drives there.

Another that I've noticed in a NUMBER of different areas is folks drive almost every night with both headlights and fog lights on but when it's foggy during the day they don't bother turning either of them on at all. Never did understand either one of those myself.

I lived in Texas for a while...it scared the beegeebers out of us the 1st time we saw this!

As far as the headlight thing goes...yup, it's an oldtimers deal to save headlight bulbs so you don't have to change them so often. My Dad won't turn them on until he just can't see any longer. But with today's auto on feature...its seen less but still I see folks in newer rigs who have overriden that feature...I know my Dad would! I don't...I let them burn...better to be seen than not.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Regional Weirdness Examples
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS