Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Are there many like this?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are there many like this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
susseandchris

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/14 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As new rv'ers, my wife and I have eagerly perused many topics on this forum, seeking information and advice about a myriad of things. We find so many posts helpful, and written in a friendly tone.
However, there also seems to be another type of poster out there: people who seem to believe they know it all. The tone of their posts tends to be condescending, especially at times to the innocent posters who ask questions, telling them in effect how dumb they are for asking such a question!
These people seem to inhabit the tech-related or tow-vehicle related forums. I am almost afraid, as a newbie, to ask questions there, in case these people decide to make fun of my lack of knowledge.
Just a general question: when out there camping, can we expect to encounter a large number of these know-it-all, smart aleck people, just waiting to make fun of my lack of backing-up experience or my inability to fix the engine of my truck? I am definitely not a handy guy, but I'm not ashamed of it. Just asking whether people with this mentality are in the majority???

Susan and Chris and Pablo, the Havanese dog
Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
St Catharines, ON Canada

Mike NW

Spokane, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/14 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been RV owners for just over 2 years now. The forums are the first place I come to look for an answer or ask a question. The responses are usually very helpful and timely. Like most communication on the internet there will always be the fringe groups.

Never be afraid to ask a question regardless of how dumb it may sound.

Emptypockets

North Central KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/14 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are always the know it all in every group but the longer you check in here you will find that most of us aren't that kind. I love to visit with newbe's & share what I have learned over the years.

* This post was edited 03/06/14 01:00pm by Emptypockets *

traveylin

Rockport

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/14 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are not the majority. they are grumpy folks that cannot see the good in much of what life brings.

I have been a traveler for 30 years and the folks met are by far the good ones. I have been an rv'er for 6 years and have met really no one that is aggressively grumpy, most all are helpfull. Perhaps the greatest rule of thumb for pleasant interaction is to respect personnel space. You may meet occasionally a person in authority that is a bit repressive. Just yes mam, no sir them and they will go away.

pops

pops

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/14 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm grumpy in general, but I try to make posts worth reading. One can find reviews and specs on items easily... but good opinions, first-hand, are hard to find on the Internet, so that makes these forums worth reading. For example, one can compare two things that do the same thing, and find that people who used item "A" hate it, while item "B" is passable.

Better an asked dumb question, than an un-asked intelligent question.

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/14 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a stupid post! Just kidding. When I see a question from a new member, I try to give as much detail as I can.

Another one that is a little low on the etiquette scale is the person who constantly tells others that "this topic has been covered here before, you should have done a search". This can really intimidate a new poster from interacting with the forum and drive them away.

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

fuzzbutt

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/14 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7 years ago I was a newbie and this forum and the people on it have been extremely helpful to me. I have seen some of the snarky replies you speak of but have only tangled with 1 of them in 7 years. I think he was just a troll messing with me. His user name went away shortly after our battle. Many people have gone WAY above expectations to help me over the years.

John, Sherry & Sabrina
+ Mowgli (Keeshond) Shane (Border Collie) Sunny (Sun Conure) & Lily (Cockatiel)
94 Winnebago Adventurer 34'
04 Nissan Murano
05 Acura TL
92 Honda Gold Wing
Now.....bring me that horizon.

TomHaycraft

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/14 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion? Like so many things on the Internet, the anonymity seems to allow some folks to write things they would not say in public. I'm less inhibited to ask questions when in a park, as compared to here on the electronic forums. My interactions with other campers has for the most part (99% of the time?) been very positive.

2009 Silverado C1500 CrewCab - Timbrens
2013 Springdale 247FWRLLS - Reese Sidewinder - TST 507 TPMS

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/14 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a few geezers out there who have little to do but go around giving unsolicited advice. However, people are far more apt to be critical on the forum than they would be in person. Never be afraid to ask questions on this forum! And just ignore any snide comments. Happy trails!

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/14 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've participated in RVing, boating/fishing, college/high school football, woodworking and many other types of forums like these. And, YES, there are always the know it all types on them. Believe me, I know. In fact, I know it all!!! <--those are smilees meaning I'm kidding about knowing it all

Our Web Albums Temporary Web Albums
2006 Yellowstone SE, 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L and 2011 Tidewater 1900 Bay Max

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are there many like this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS