Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Manufacturers - How Do You Answer This
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Manufacturers - How Do You Answer This

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Dave Pete

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/14 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one aspect of why I am leery of an aluminum framed camper, not to mention a newer, expensive camper. Of course the extremely poor quality craftsmanship could be duplicated in a wood-framed camper, but at least notice the weld quality. And what is it with the pinched cable?

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27573424.cfm

The OP calls it an AF; I have to assume he means Arctic Fox. Wolf Creek (one of my close choices for a camper)claims it is built on the same assembly line as the Arctic Fox. Maybe by the same welding crew? Assembly crew? And I am considering a Wolf Creek why?

I am sure many wise and conscientious TC buyers visit the Arctic Fox/Wolf Creek factory prior to a purchase, JUST TO AVOID BUYING A PIECE OF CR$P LIKE THIS! And I am sure they get the red-carpet treatment. So how do manufacturers do it? Take you on a fantasy field trip, show actual workers doing such fine work, and then once you leave the building, quality falls apart. How do they do it? Why do they do it? Arctic Fox is one of the most expensive campers out there! Wolf Creek, being somewhat less expensive must REALLY suck!

And every manufacturer must answer to this sort of accusation. Why don't we TC buyers (and other RVs) demand some sort of digital picture build history of our individual camper? Perhaps there's a way of proving pictures belong to our actual unit.

Oh I know, such labor intensive assembly would add several thousand dollars to our out the door price and we consumers won't stand for it. As if the multiple tens of thousands we spend already isn't enough to expect good work.

That 1960's wood-framed and nicely birch-wood paneled TC I found on Craigslist for $500 is looking much nicer to me this morning.

Manufacturers - how do you answer this?

* This post was edited 03/11/14 09:04am by Dave Pete *

1968 Travel Queen 8' TC (currently under resto-mod)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
2013 Komfort 2410RK TT

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/14 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no comment

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

rjxj

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/14 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unbelievable. I always tell people that RV's are cheesy and I'm more convinced of it all the time. I look at some units and think to myself, $30,000? $30,000? I would puke every time I looked at this thing and remembered that I paid that much for it.
RV = CHEESY

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/14 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They won't answer it.

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/14 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a relatively happy TT owner, I do agree that the industry does need to have much better quality control added. I have a complete understanding of "things getting loose" after hundreds of miles of being pulled / bounced around, but, while sitting on the dealer lots????

2010 Flagstaff 26RLS
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
2006 Toyota Tundra D/C (sold)
2001 Bantam B-19,(sold)
2003 Harley Road King
The whole family,
Cold ones in the cooler, good times ahead.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/14 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We, meaning the majority of the RV buyers, will not pay the extra price for quality. Sad but true.

In our society, manufacturers only make what we will buy, and cheap is what we demand, so cheap is what we get.

Of course, there are a few RV's that are high quality, and higher cost, but they are the minority.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Dave Pete

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/14 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe Dog Folks. A manufacturer would have to share a truthful cost of doing business report that proves 20-30 grand (minimum) can't cover quality workmanship for me to believe it. If high sales commissions and marketing expenses were shared with laborers or a real quality assurance department, we might see better results. But we consumers are indeed at fault. We fall for pretty graphics.

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/14 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently retired after 30 years in manufacturing. In those 30 years, I was a quality manager for 15, and an operations manager for 15 actually running a factory for several large defense projects. In addition, I spent ten years as a professor teaching quality management techniques to our MBA students.

I won't go into a long dissertation on the benefits of producing defect free materials, but I do see that the American RV industry is very similar to 1960's and 1970's American automobile manufacturers. They don't "get" quality concepts. If they don't get their act together, they are poised for intense competition from foreign manufacturers who will bring a higher quality product to the consumer base at a lower cost.

If any of you are ever interested in this subject, and would like a good read, check out Philip Crosby's "Quality is Free". It was printed 25 years ago as a primer for manufacturing executives to get a grasp on quality concepts.

Prevention is not hard to do, it's just hard to sell when manufacturers are set on a certain way of doing things. The industry is primed for a quality revolution, and those that will lead the way can be very successful. In the long run, we are the consumers who will ultimately guide the industry through our purchases.

So there!

ReadyToGo

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/14 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look at what the current C's look like compared to my 2001 and know that I will never get the quality that I have, again.
That means, that I will be keeping mine and willingly put money into it instead of throwing away money on a newer one.
There is not a single place where they could have put a drawer or a door, which means that I have much more accessible spaces. Real hard wood. Sound proofing materials. Double kitchen sink.
What do they do now? Plywood, single round sink, bench seats without an end door, noisier, drawers that have cheap hardware.

cjoseph

WV

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/14 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have gone through the new experience twice now.

I found myself fixing the little things because it was easier to do myself. By the time you add in fuel and the aggravation of driving it in during work hours, it didn't make sense to have the dealer do it.

Heck, I even had the dealer order a repair part, picked it up and installed it myself.

As long as we do this, the manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank. If purchasers insist on quality before we pick it up and during the warranty period, maybe these companies will straighten up.

Make them pay for their shoddy workmanship after the sale.

I have a list of a bunch of little things that are going to be added to a couple of big-ticket items that I will be looking at my dealer to fix under warranty. We are lucky to be headed that way in a couple of weeks for a non-RV trip and will drop it off for a week. We'll see what gets done. We will probably use that trip to only get authorization for the repairs, and a return trip will be needed.

Oh well.

Like was already said, these companies don't have the network that the big auto makers have.

Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Manufacturers - How Do You Answer This
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: