Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Gas station etiquette
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas station etiquette

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the way to Big Cypress/Everglades I stopped for fuel at the Flying J in Dade City, FL. In the left gas lane was a shiny new Winnebago View, no toad, NY license plates. In the right lane an older class A with a toad. The owner of the class A was putting in fuel. There was no activity at all around the View. I pulled in behind the class A and got out to stretch my legs. The owner of the class A said he had waited for 10 minutes behind the View and finally went to the other lane when it opened. He finished fueling and I pulled up to the pumps. Still no activity around the View. As I was pumping gas, the owner of the View finally came out and STARTED refueling.

Two questions. Since he had a class C and wasn't towing, couldn't he have used the regular automobile lanes, and left the RV lanes for bigger rigs? Second question, is it any wonder NY residents get a bad reputation? I travel to NYC often, and have met many wonderful people, but its folks like these who give tho whole state a bad name.

On the same trip, I stopped at a service area on the Florida turnpike. We needed lunch and fuel, so I parked where I was directed, out with the 18-wheelers. We went in to grab lunch, then headed out to get fuel. Since I need gasoline, not diesel, I maneuvered back to the gas islands and pulled in the far right gas lane behind a mini-van towing a small TT, Ohio plates. Once again, I failed to see any activity around the rig, so I got out and walked up to see if there was a problem. You guessed it. Nobody there. I carefully backed up, then S-snaked my way into the next lane. As I was pulling out, here come the Ohio folks with a couple of fast food bags. We thanked them for their courtesy.

Why can't folks learn to fuel up first, then go park, then go shop.

Richard

2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

DO N DAT

Williams, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have seen this. I think that they think that once they have parked at the fuel island, 'They own it' till they are done with their purchases. I park at the island to fuel and then pull out, the truck stops have plenty of parking so that one does not need to use the island as a 'parking space'.
I am with you, that is just rude.

1999 Ford F350, 7.3 Diesel, 2003 Triumph 365L

kcny

Amsterdam, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/14 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did they pay at the pump when they came back out to fuel up?

32' 1992 Holiday Rambler 1000

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was a couple. Even if you pay inside, the courteous thing would be for one party to go in and pay while the other waits with the rig. This rig was parked at the pump for maybe 20 minutes. Even if you pay inside. how long does that take?

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see this all the time. There is little courtesy for others these days.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kcny

Amsterdam, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/14 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"the courteous thing would be for one party to go in and pay while the other waits with the rig."

Yep, that's what my wife and I do.

Red-Rover

NW Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/14 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have just touched upon one of my "pet peeves". Even upon returning to their vehicle, they can still take five more minutes while they store their purchases, put on their seat belt, and text a friend.

2014 Cougar 313RLI
2002 F250, V10, Super Cab

Uma & Papa

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because they think THEY are the only people around and nobody needs to get where they are I get this kind of thinking a lot when I get fuel at the diesel pump at our hometown Murphy's, lots of other pumps to get gasoline but only one area for diesel but because the pump is on the end they like going to it. BTW all our vehicles (3) are diesel.

ChooChooMan74

Tiverton, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/14 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local Cumberland Farms has 1 double sided diesel pump. One busy day, one guy was actively fueling gas at one and another guy was no where near his car. Nope, he was bull****ting wih his friend for 10 minutes while smoking a butt in front of the store. While I finally got to the diesel pump that cleared out from the guy actively fueling, I told him "Thank you for blocking the diesel pumps". He had a cocky respons back. My girl was ripped, too.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, Tuned By Green Diesel
2011 Rockwood Roo 21BH
Reese DC WDH, CIPA Door Mirrors
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2014 - 12 Camped, 3 Reserved
Can I get a Ramen for The Good Noodle

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my pet peeves too. I'd like to think that people are not deliberately thoughtless or inconsiderate but lots of times I scratch my head in wonder.

Often at a multi island fuel station the diesel pump is on the end where it is easiest to get into with a large vehicle most likely to need diesel. So what is there, empty while its driver is inside? A car, of course. GRRRRRR!

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas station etiquette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues