Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Is it time to throw in the towel?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is it time to throw in the towel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
JoshInReno

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this may not be the best place to get unbiased opinions on the subject, but there is a huge wealth of knowledge on this site.

We may have just taken our last camping trip - without knowing it.

The plan WAS to sell the trailer after this trip, save our money for the rest of the year and buy something new off the lot next spring. But between our work schedules and the effective loss of my wife's vacation time will pretty much eliminate any further vacations and chances to use a new trailer. Finding any time to get away during the year was already challenging, but with recent child care developments it may have just become impossible. Long story short: my wife will have to use her annual vacation time to stay with our kids in the summer when our child care takes her two week vacation. I can't take any time off in the summer - I work in air conditioning. It's a non-starter.

So now with my wife's vacation time being spoken for (when I can't join her and the kids), what is she to do when I can use mine in the fall? So the new trailer would just sit unused.

So is it best at this point to sell the trailer and the truck? Not to mention all of the associated gear (tents, sleeping bags, hunting rifles, coolers, etc, etc) and maybe revisit RVing in 10 years after the kids are gone?

Any input is appreciated.

1999 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel - Upgraded Auto - 5" exhaust - aFe intake - 4x4 - Reese Hitch - Diablo Power Puck
1987 Santa Rosa Fifth Wheel - Lifted - Remodeled - Solar System - A Whopping 22 feet and 5,000 pounds of fun!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Get set up for winter camping. I had a ball doing that when I was part time.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you live in Reno, there are many FS campgrounds to the west and northwest that you could enjoy all summer long just using the weekends.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

nomad297

Alexandria, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/14 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about grandparents? Do your parents or in-laws live close enough to watch the kids in the summer for two weeks?

Bruce

2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2004 Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4, 6.0 liter with 4.10 rear, 3315# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But what about weekends?

We really couldn't justify our unit if all we used it for was the "big" summer trip. Instead we try and go out around every other weeken or so. Up here in the PNW it can rain a lot in winter but we still have fun and it sure is easy to get a campsite, no reservations needed. Our camper is ready to go and it works well to leave Friday night or Saturday morning and return Sunday afternoon. Sometimes we have some work to do so we bring it along.

* This post was edited 03/12/14 02:53pm by brholt *

Emptypockets

North Central KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though you don't have the time to take an extended trip - will you have any weekends free? We have always found some great relaxing times in campgrounds less than 20 miles from home. Also, will your current trailer serve you well for this purpose?

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just keep what you have. Do you really need a new one? That way when you both have a few days off together, you can jump into your rig and do some close by camping. You sound like middle age campers. Just remember "Yesterday is history--there is only today---tomorrow may never come.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your kids will be gone in 10 years - then you need to be camping with them any way you can RIGHT NOW. Even if it's just a weekend in a tent. This is your chance to teach them to love the outdoors and to respect Mother Nature; so that some day they'll take THEIR kids camping, too.

JoshInReno

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nomad297 wrote:

How about grandparents? Do your parents or in-laws live close enough to watch the kids in the summer for two weeks?

Bruce

The grandparents are the child care problem.

My parents are unavailable in the summer. Her parents are gone for months at a time, mostly in the summer.

Her ex-inlaws are responsible (divorce agreement) for the Monday - Friday childcare during the day. They have decided to take 2 weeks off in June, starting last summer. Last June, we got lucky that my wifes parents were in town and they watched the kids during the day. This year, we won't be so lucky. And they are not about to change their schedule to be able to watch them - seperate issue.

JoshInReno

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/14 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Homer wrote:

Why not just keep what you have. Do you really need a new one? That way when you both have a few days off together, you can jump into your rig and do some close by camping. You sound like middle age campers. Just remember "Yesterday is history--there is only today---tomorrow may never come.

Early thirties. Kids are 8 and 10.

Keep ours or buy new, the time to use either just won't exist anymore. Sadly.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is it time to throw in the towel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS