Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Driving around those stupid roundabouts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Driving around those stupid roundabouts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
06Fargo

Alberta EIEIO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/14 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks - if you drive in an area where "they" are putting in those damphfool roundabout intersections (just kidding they are one of the best intersections ever...)

- things work a lot smoother if you use your turn signals (indicators) to signal your intentions to other drivers.

On our CanAm right side of the road driving roads:

- left signal flashing when you enter and drive round means "I am continuing round the roundybout "

- right signal means - get ready for this - "I am changing direction to my right to leave the roundybout..."

Lots of us older folks sort of get this figgered out - but remember there are millions of younger drivers on the roads now who have developed since we no longer follow "rules of the road" but now must have a sign or traffic signal light to tell us what to do.

When visiting countries that are left side of the road drive: Once you shut the wipers off, do the opposite to above, cause you drive round the other way round.

Roundabouts confuse the heck out of "stop sign and signal needers" that need to stop before they can go.

* This post was edited 03/20/14 06:53am by 06Fargo *

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/14 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Points well taken, thank you for suggesting them.

Roundabouts are actually better than traffic lights, once you get used to them. They require no electricity, thus function even when the power goes out, and they are faster for all traffic to pass through, too. But, as you point out, people who are not used to them struggle a bit until they figure them out.

It must be noted that traffic IN the roundabout has the right of way over traffic entering the roundabout. This is an obvious necessity once you understand them. I don't know about your state, but here in Virginia, that is even specified in State Law, but I have had "encounters" with folks unaware of this. No collisions yet (I'm sure it would come as a surprise to the folks entering who caused the collision that they were buying), but a couple close calls with folks who thought they had the right of way, so do watch closely when you are in one.

For your entertainment, the roundabout at the Arc de Triumphe in Paris.

Dunno why that picture doesn't show up. The URL is www.expressions-photographics.com/forumpix/Arc.jpg for anyone who'd like to see it. Screen capture from Google Earth.

* This post was last edited 03/20/14 09:29am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Winged One

Mid-Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/14 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL. Personally I like the roundabouts they have added here, where they replaced the ubiquitous 4 way stop. Others, not so much.

2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

GaryWT

MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/14 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had rotaries in our area all my life so I have been driving on them over 30 years. Some make sense, others don't. NH just put in some smaller ones that you can barely get a trailer through without going on the curb.

ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/14 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When visiting relatives in New Hampshire in 1990 I saw my first roundabout and our uncle told us they were normal back there. Now they're everywhere out here. Some are good, some are not. The latest one to go in near home looks like a Boy Scouts Eagle project. No way would it allow my truck and travel trailer through.

2003 Ford 150 Supercrew, 4x4, 5.4L, 3.73 rear
2005 27' Trail Bay with pop-out

GO COUGS !

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/14 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roundabouts are more fun if you have a motor home and towing a toad. Some people have a problem figuring out that the toad is attached to the motor home.

Thomas/NH

Exeter, NH

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/14 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to negotiate the new "Round-abouts" all the time up here... The inside curbing is meant to be driven on, my 35' TT handles them quite well. Slow is the key.

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/14 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think roundabouts are the way to go. They just make sense and keep traffic flowing.

Valkyriebush

Yuma, Az/Chimacum, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/14 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like them, as long as they are curbless.

Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/14 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try getting threw this set of 3 roundabouts with a 35' MH and a toad.

You need to use both lanes to make it.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Driving around those stupid roundabouts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues