Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Rallies, Shows and Gatherings: RV Tour/Rally Cost
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> RV Tour/Rally Cost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
cochise49

Lake Elsinore, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/14 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just looking at a tour/rally in the Black Hills this coming July. The cost for two persons for 6 nights at a pretty good resort plus various tours and museum visits including Rushmore and Deadwood is over $1500 . No mention of meals provided. I went to the RV resorts page and saw that cost per night for 50 amps with two persons plus one pet is $40. That is $240. Can't imagine side trips to museums and parks would cost $1200. What am I missing? Are these tours really a good value?

Bev& Keith
Kyriana(14)Aidan(10), Emily and Olivia (2) Grandchildren
Chloe(Shi-Tzu)
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

TNRIVERSIDE

East Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/14 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking forward to seeing the responses you get. I have had the same question.

2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what is included you may be shocked at what admission to sites cost. Also are they supplying transportation including driver and a guide.

Bottom line though is it worth it to you! Let someone else worry about all the details and scouting for place for the group. If not maybe you won't see any value.

I see the tours most valuable for first visit to an area.

We have thought about tour to Mexico. They know where to stay to get gas where not to travel, especially alone and what parks to stay in.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/14 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It probably includes a few meals as well as transportation for some of the tours AND the tour operator isn't doing it for free - they want a significant cut as well!!

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cochise49 wrote:

Are these tours really a good value?

not to me. and they no doubt include paying for some stuff that you can do without. previously somebody mentioned a horribly expensive chuck wagon breakfast. not my cup of tea
bumpy

rv2go

Fulltime 12 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might get more opinions if you could give the name of the operators of the tour/rally. I find one for 11 days and the cost is $2995 for 2 persons. 5 days for $1500 is inline with the 11 days.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

Seneca 35GS

whittier

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to the Black Hill's/Deadwood last year and enjoyed our visit. We stayed at HART Ranch a 5 star facility. We got a deal 3 nights for $39.00. Had to take a 45 minute timeshare lecture but NO pressure at all. We did all the sights you could imagine. The highlight of the visit was twice a year they have a nighttime blast at Crazyhorse. It was free,lasted a good 45 seconds and it was like they bring down skyscrapers in metropolitan areas. I recommend you call Crazyhorse and inquire when they will schedule a nighttime blast.
I recommend Hart Ranch and schedule it on your own.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the course of the years I have taken a WIT tour to Rocky Point Mexico, and the TRACKS tour to Copper Canyon Mexico. Both were expensive but both were well worthwhile. In the lower 49 States I think you could probably do your own thing for a lot less money. However, the tour company makes all the reservations, many must be made a year or more in advance, you are transported to events by private buses, you get professional tour guides and the fun of being in a group. If you have any hesitation about driving to new places you have the comfort of a trained group captain and a tail gunner who travels last in line to make sure none of the rigs in the group have a problem. Problems such as a breakdown or an over-tired driver can usually be handled by the group. For the two trips I took into Mexico, the group tour was invaluable, and I would certainly not have had the experience without the group. So what are you paying for...reservations at campgrounds, reservations at events (usually great seating), reservations without lines at tours, a few dinners, a few pot luck dinners, and the services of a tour host and tail gunner. If we ever get to travel to Alaska it will probably be with a tour. If we ever get to go to the Kentucky Derby it will probably be with a tour, other wise we could never get preferred seating. Basically, you get what you pay for. Sometimes it will be worth it to you, sometimes it would be just as much fun to do it yourself.
Happy Trails.

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/14 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Bumpy in that with even a small IQ like mine and a brain nearing 70yrs old people can plan their own trips and control their expenses almost to the dollar. I wouldn't take a group trip to Mexico if they paid me. I've been chased by Tracks and other tour groups for years but the price was just way to much for the risk. To each his own (wallet).

PotKorn

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/14 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what the Forest River Owners' Group (FROG) did last fall. It was one leg of a tour that included Colorado Springs, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone, and the Black Hills. You could do any or all of the stops. Here's the Black Hills portion:

Your Black Hills adventure includes:
- Five nights of full-hookup camping at Rafter J Bar
- Welcome dinner /orientation
- Mount Rushmore tour, including full breakfast
- 1880 Steam Train excursion from Keystone to Hill City
- Crazy Horse Memorial tour
- Custer State Park tour
- Chuckwagon Dinner and Cowboy Music Show
- Dinner at historic Alpine Inn
- Two continental breakfasts
- Time to sightsee on your own and enjoy the spectacular beauty of the area
- A lifetime of memories and friendships