Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Missouri driving age restrictions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Missouri driving age restrictions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
ReVoker

Corlista, RJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just heard that Missouri is considering passing driving age restrictions which would require citizens over the age of 68 to have an eye exam every two years and a supervised road test starting at age 70 every two years as well. I'll post more about this as I find out what is actually going on.

ReVoker
An opinion on every subject...

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that would be a good idea at some age. Not sure what age it should be. Since I just happen to be 68 I think it should be higher. But I would not be opposed to doing just that.

There are people on the road of all ages who make you wonder how they got a license in the first place. But there are also those who begin to lose their driving skills as they age. My mother and my mother-in-law both drove until they were in their late 80's and drove very well. But my brother-in-law at 71 probably should not be driving many more years. A regular test should let the ones still drive who still safely can, and get the ones off the road who can't.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Ontario, that age is 80. Then it is a written test as well as the eye test every two years. My mother just passed hers, she could not use the examination 'eye tester', but they accepted the letter from her eye doctor.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a good idea. Some, younger Folks may say a good idea until they get there. If they feel incompetent, at that time quit driving.
Creeping regulation and permissions don't cut it with me. We are senior Adults and my wife drives better than twenty year old's. I think I do to. If we feel like we need to stop or change drivers we do.
Eyes etc? We are not going to try driving blind.
If the regulation creep doesn't stop, before long you won't be able to do anything without huge costs and crippling regulations.
I'm sure there are signifigant prices or taxes to cover the "costs."
Fund/taxing raising city hall, for new walnut paneling or great ideas, that need additional funding or just nanny wanting to mange are killing the Country.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm soon to be 65 and I think that it's about time. Older people rarely think they're driving skills have deteriorated, something like younger people think they are hot shot drivers. I've seen too many older drivers that should be off the roads for everyone's sake, and the same goes for many younger drivers too AFATG.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's a good idea.

Personally I think an eye test should be required everytime you get/renew DL's.

Nothing like going for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride with a person in denial....regardless of age.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/14 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a load, it is really commonsense or the obscene lack of it…

peoples eyesight fails slowly over time… so many usually don’t know they have cataracts until they are told… and always after their removal every one of them can’t believe what they haven’t been seeing…
I know since the DW surgery see hasn’t missed a single garage sale sign along the roadsides…

It’s a part of aging, sight, hearing, reflexes, and reaction time diminish slowly, often only recognized by others…
No one wants to lose their independence but very few do recognize when it’s time and even fewer will agree…
Age doesn’t give you the liberty to harm others because of bullheadedness , or ignorance, or so you can maintain your independence… driving has always been a privilege and not a right…

Peoples own reluctance is the cause and the need for some type of monitoring of these things

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess that Google car that drives itself will have some seniors interested.

And from MO about senior drivers http://www.dmv.com/mo/missouri/senior-drivers

Most senior drivers in Missouri who renew their license in person will be asked to undergo a basic vision test to ensure they are able to safely operate a motor vehicle..............

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/14 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

I guess that Google car that drives itself will have some seniors interested.

THAT would just scare the bejeezes out of me

jdog

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/14 12:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Age discrimination!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Missouri driving age restrictions