Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Central PA/Hershey Area
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Central PA/Hershey Area

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
texasclarks

Morgantown, WV

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/14 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking to my RV'ing friends for assistance in finding a campground and things to do in Central PA over Memorial Day weekend.

I have searched the forum and only found information on camping near Hershey Park, but we don't want to be limited to a single day at an Amusement Park for things to do.

Are there any other suggestions? There will be two RV'ing family -- mine and our friends who have two younger girls (8 & 6). So in total two families with kids.

We love to be outside, camp, do fun things at the Campground, but also want to do things that are enriching to the children -- cultural and entertaining would be nice. We are just looking for things to do BESIDES an amusement park. Is it around Central PA/Hershey?

Thank you in advance.

Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

KMP44

Central New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/14 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at the Jonestown KOA last summer. Easy drive to Hershey and the Amish markets around Lancaster. The cg had just become a KOA, and had been making some upgrades. It was nice and they had some seasonal sites mixed with one nighters from the interstate and weekenders going to Hershey, and they were the best kept seasonal sites we've run across.

We got a river front site, which was really nice. Had a concrete pad and steps down to the water. They have tubes, kayaks, and canoes for rent and a shuttle if you want them take you up river to paddle back to the campsite. Kids had a great time in the river - it was big, but shallow and the water is slow moving. Might not want a river front site if you have small kids

2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Johnworth914

USA!

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/14 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Close to Lancaster and Shopping at the Big outlets at Reading..

The PA Renaissance Fair is right down the road.

Alaska is next! Still trying to fit the pontoons to the RV so We can get to Hawaii!

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/14 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

Close to Lancaster and Shopping at the Big outlets at Reading..

The PA Renaissance Fair is right down the road.

Its been a few years since I have gone, but pretty sure that the Ren Faire is not open until early fall...

Edit...it starts Aug 2 this year thru end of October.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/14 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three Mile Island south of Harrisburg.

The Rockville Bridge, just north of Harrisburg, the longest stone arch bridge in the world.

Gettysburg

City Island Harrisburg. You can also bicycle along the Susquehanna River at Harrisburg.

I know you will have the kids along but, if you can get away or come back to the area in the future go see the Yuengling Brewery. Even if you don't care for beer, it's a very interesting tour of America's Oldest Brewery.

The Pennsylvania State Museum in Harrisburg

The Millersburg Ferry north of Harrisburg

Twin Grove Campground north of Harrisburg along I-81

LIckdale Campground north of Harrisburg along I-81

Hershey Park Camping Resort, formerly Hershey Highmeadow Campground. But, it's near Hershey Park.

texasclarks

Morgantown, WV

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/14 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is why this forum is a great resource...thank you for the information. And will try to get into Yuengling Brewery as it is open to kids of ALL AGES ;-)

We Cant Wait

Jamestown NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/14 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stayed at Pinch Pond in Manhiem was easy drive to both Hershey and Lancaster.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/14 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have young kids, look at Dutch Wonderland, about 30 minutes away from Hershey. We took our children last year and camped at Highmeadow. It was so much fun and we did the amusement park one evening and then a full day. Great fun.

bc hill

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/14 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should check out Lake in Wood campground.It is listed under Narvon Pa.The campground has lots of activities for kids.It could be a destination campground but close enough to take in all the attractions.

scottew71

Oregon OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/14 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to hershey this summer also. We already booked a site at Hershey park based on recommendations from friends. We have a 6year old daughter and they said the campground has a lot of activities for the kids. I have been looking for things other than Hershey to do I found Steamtown national historic site which has steam train ride and zoo America wildlife park,

Scott, Betty,Natalie(DD). 2008 Rockwood Roo 23SS 2012 F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost Max Tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Central PA/Hershey Area
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS