Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Calgary & Edmonton, AB
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Calgary & Edmonton, AB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
PghBob

Pittsburgh PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/14 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a trip this summer to the Canadian Rockies, especially Banff and Jasper NPs. We will be traveling in a 27 foot Class C. I am requesting info. on the following:

Are there any obstructions along the way to pick up family members arriving at Calgary Airport? By obstructions I mean low overpasses that might take off the roof of the RV.

While most of time we expect to be in the NPs, we would like to see the cities as well. Expect to be in Calgary pre-stampede in mid-June. What are the must-sees and any recommended camp grounds?

Likewise, expect to visit Edmonton after leaving Jasper. Must-sees and camp ground recommendations for the Capital City?

Thanks for the help.

Bob

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/14 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

There is oversize parking at the Calgary airport. If you use that there are no obstructions.

I would not care to recommend any of the campgrounds in Calgary--but there are lots of good ones to the west of Calgary that are provincial parks. There is a nice one at Cochran AB.

There is, purportedly, a wonderful zoo in Calgary. I have never been to it.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/14 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will NEVER stay at The Embers campground in west Edmonton ever again. Hate rudeness and they are definitely rude there. JMHO

charles weidman

Mr Biggles

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/14 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Bob, there are no low overhangs at the Calgary airport . They are building a new terminal, so there could be a few delays driving through. It's not a super busy airport. You will not have a problem. As for Calgary , Heritage Park is interesting. The zoo is good , but was substantially damaged after last June's big flood. The main draw is the Rockies.

2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

Mr Biggles

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/14 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drumheller Dinosaur museum is very interesting. It's about 2 hours drive east of Calgary, in the Alberta Badlands. Interesting scenery too, and good RV campsites. I've also camped at the Bow Valley Provincial Park , and Tunnel Mountain in Banff. Both are government run and busy. So book early if you can . Mount Kidd RV park is popular, but again you must book early . The Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper is a beautiful drive an a must visit. Lots of wildlife and amazing scenery. There's lots of campsites, but again very busy . Most of the Provincial and National Parks campsites do have sites that are on a first-come , first-served basis, but you need to arrive early. June is a good time to visit. Not as busy as July and August. Bring a few warm clothes . The mountains can get chilly at night. I have seen snow in Calgary in June too !

Murphsmom

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/14 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The zoo in Calgary is definitely a place to visit. They had the coolest hippo exhibit I had ever seen. Last spring's floods were so bad that they were concerned that the animals might have to be housed elsewhere, but I haven't heard anything about spring flooding so far this year.

Another yes goes to the Dinosaur Museum. The Hoodoos nearby are interesting photo subjects.

danager

Edmonton Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/14 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When camping near Edmonton, I prefer Wabamun Lake Provincial Park. Quiet family camping, power and water available on one loop. Small store with friendly staff. I always book the outside of the loop. You get a larger spot, more space and trees between the neighbours.

While in Edmonton, there will always be some festival to check out. I would also add Telus World of Science to the list.

PghBob

Pittsburgh PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/14 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the info.

We have already booked Tunnel Mt. in Banff and a CG in Jasper. We are very much looking forward to visiting our northern neighbors. We are now giving thought to reducing our time in the cities and expanding our visits elsewhere in AB.

Thanks again. Bob

DKeppner

North Central Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/14 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even though its a bit south of Calgary, a must stop is Waterton National Park. Its the Canadian side of the U.S.'s Glacier National Park and almost a different world. The buffalo range closer to Mountain View offers a nice stop and then you have Cardston and Lethbrige. We try to get there every other year for at least a week and coming from the south have no worries on clearance.

Beware the vault toilets at the rest stops though.

Always learning. Usually lost. Loving it all.
2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser

TXcampingfamily

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/14 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stopped in Calgary for a few days on our way to Tunnel Mountain in Banff last July. We stayed at Bow Rivers Edge in Cochrane and commuted into Calgary. The campground was very tight and more like a well manicured parkinglot, but it worked for us since we only used it to sleep while we toured Calgary each day. On a side note here are a few items that we didn't find out until we were in Canada:

1. Credit Cards- I called my card companies before the trip to see what extra charges they might add. I only carry a Visa and Discover Card. Discover is our favorite and wasn't going to add charges. Found out that not a single place would take Discover. Most folks had never even heard of it. I was bummed to have to use my Visa, but it turned out OK.

2. Showers- I was surprised at some of the commercial campgrounds (Bow Rivers Edge was one) they charged for the showers. There were 5 of us so sometime we like to use the campground showers.

3. Laundry in Banff- There are no laundry facilities in the campgrounds in Banff. You will have to use one in town. Don't remember the cost since we ended up handwashing the needed items so that we didn't have to sit in the laundromat.

4. Mosquito spray- Bring as much as you can buy!!! I have never seen mosquitoes that big! Keep in mind we went last summer after all the big flooding, so maybe that's not the norm.

All these things were minor items, but maybe the knowledge will help you on your trip.

Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Calgary & Edmonton, AB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts