Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Is it Just Me?? (Campground Websites... Or Lack Thereof)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is it Just Me?? (Campground Websites... Or Lack Thereof)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
GraciesDaddy

Tuscaloosa, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/14 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some reason, I just don't trust a campground that does not have a website. If I am here, on RVParkReviews, GoodSam, BigRigResorts, etc., and the website link leads me to RVParkList.com (which lists absolutely NO reviews) I'm left to wonder just how interested the CG owner is in maintaining good customer relations? I mean, nowadays, one can set up a site for free or nearly so... Even Old People (like me) would likely have a grandson/daughter, niece/nephew 'Net savvy enough to put up SOMEthing; even if it's just a few photos, their rates and amenities and things to visit that're nearby. Perhaps a couple of testimonials from previous customers. I firmly believe that a good CG owner wants feedback about their level of service. I also believe that, were I an owner, I'd be bustin' booty to find out who posted that negative review on RVPRs and do whatever I could to make it right! Even Google, nosy as they can be, give business owners the opportunity to respond to customer comments and offer to turn that customer around should they have had a bad experience.

Without a website, all I'm left with is the (usually negative) comments from those who have taken the time to post something online... Even then, sometimes that person can be impossible to please, anyway; or have a bone to pick with that particular CG. I have even found myself in the habit of going to GoogleEarth to see what a not-so-well-rated CG's neighborhood is like! I look to see if I can tell if there ARE older, permanent campers parked there! Sometimes, the campgrounds do reflect their surroundings and look like a collection of meth labs. Sometimes, they look like oases of calm amidst chaos. Sometimes, I can't tell one way or the other. Looking DOES affect my choices, though. Not always in a good way.

Sorry to be so long-winded about this. I just get rather passionate about such things when there is such a very, very simple solution to them.

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker
The NOT YET RVing Siblings! (Still looking!)
Co-pilots-to-be: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/14 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the better campgrounds I've been to have websites. There's some real dumps out their so I agree with you.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/14 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine that some RV campgrounds are not as techno-savvy as their customers or choose not to have a website for other reasons.
It's all good, IMO. I'd rather leave the techno behind on some occasions and camping with people wandering about waving a cell phone to get coverage gets boring.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

cKarlGo

Alexandria, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/14 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually draw the line at places with no current reviews on rvparkreviews.com. Websites represent an investment and overhead, especially for less technological owners.

---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/14 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Websites are cheap these days for small businesses. I get that some owners may less than tech saavy, but in my experience the ones that don't have a web site are usually pretty old places that haven't been well maintained.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/14 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I'm tired and traveling I don't need a Web Site. Just need a level spot to park, eat, and sleep. I never make reservations when in between Home and final Destination. I sometimes make reservations for FD if it is a crowded location.
My final destination is usually one that I have stayed at before.

Marvin

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/14 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of campground web sites have old pictures of things to do close by, some kids with face paint or a camper with no one else around to make the cities look bigger.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/14 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

A lot of campground web sites have old pictures of things to do close by, some kids with face paint or a camper with no one else around to make the cities look bigger.

That's why I don't put much cotton in a CGs website.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/14 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of campground web sites have old pictures of things to do close by, some kids with face paint or a camper with no one else around to make the sites look bigger. If you know where you're going then you know, if you are just passing thru then who cares, if it's to bad just move on.

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/14 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, too, like a good website with up to date info - especially rates - and a way to email or make a reservation on a form, because I have difficulty on the phone. Photos are nice but useless without information.

But one of the mst enjoyable places we ever stayed had no web site and had never appeared in RV Park Reviews. So you just never know.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is it Just Me?? (Campground Websites... Or Lack Thereof)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS