Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Out of level campsite pads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Out of level campsite pads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
CR CRUISER

Campbell River,BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/14 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just arrived home from our trip down the Pacific Coast Highway. We overnighted at 11 different state parks along the way. The parks, especially in Oregon, were fantastic. They were laid out well with no issues backing the fifth wheel into each site.

The common problem that we found at every site was that the parking pad was anywhere from 1 to 5 inches off level side to side. Front to back level is not an issue. That is easyly taken care of with the front jacks. But when they are out of level side to side, it then involves getting out the stacking blocks. Put the trailer up on the blocks then find that there was too many or too few. Redo it again until it's level.

I can live with an inch off level for one night but 2 or 3 inches is just too much. The last sight we stayed in Washington was at least 5" off level. It had been a long drive and I was too tired to get out the blocks. Just after we got set up, the skies opened up and it was a torrential downpour. The trailer was so off level that the top of the slide was angled in towards the house. There was a flood of water running in the slide and out the door. I just pulled the slide in and went to bed.

I don't know if the private parks have the same issues with their sites but to me it is a pain that I can do without when I'm trying to relax and enjoy my vacation. Besides, I'm tired of being able to only have half a bowl of soup.

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/14 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. You gotta get the blocks out. Or get some auto levelers.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/14 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adding a set of hydraulic automatic leveling jacks would probably make your life a lot easier in most parks. They're not cheap though...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

darsben

Central and Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/14 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were the site paved or unpaved IE store, gravel etc.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/14 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have camped at every Oregon State Park on the coast and most of the Washington ones also...many of them multiple times and have never seen any of them that much out of level...maybe 1 or 2 Lynx Levelers at the most.

Were your sites paved? Where did you find ones that were 5 inches out of level?

(not saying that you didn't, just interested)

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/14 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I first get close to where I want to unhook, I will put my torpedo level on my counter and raise the level to see how much one end needs to be raised to make it level. I will multiply that gap by 8 (feet) since my level is about 1 foot long and my overall width is about 8 feet. So if my level gets raised up about 1/4 of an inch, then I will block up one side 2" and we're good to go.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/14 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one of these. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/ite......../jumbo-level-with-mounting-bracket/30939Each mark is 1" out of level. All I have to do is back in, look at the level and get out the appropriate amount of blocking. It also has a front to back level built in.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/14 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have not hit many that unlevel. But yeah, even private RV parks some times can be quite unlevel. Just have to be prepared with boards and/or blocks.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/14 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been to a few private parks where leveling required raising the front wheels off the ground. This required blocks under the hydraulic jacks and for safety, blocks under the wheels. When possible, I ask for another site, but that is not always possible. I understand the cost constraints in publicly funded campgrounds, but there is no excuse for a private campground to advertise a site that is not even close to level. It would be nice if the camping guide books(Trailer Life, AAA, etc) would show in block letters SITES NOT LEVEL, and rate accordingly...I really think this is more important then how clear the signs are, or even neatness of showers.
JMHO

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/14 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should fix your slide. I don't think a slide should leak if it's open or closed all the way.
The level on the front of our TT also has a mark for every inch out of level.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Out of level campsite pads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS