Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: I Love My Manual Awning
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I Love My Manual Awning

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Next
nomad297

Alexandria, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/14 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the simplicity, versatility and practicality of my run-of-the-mill manual pull-down awning. I love that it comes out when I want it to and it retracts when I want it to with nothing more than the flip of a lever and use of a hooked rod. It never fails me. I can pitch it as much as I please, this way or that way, for rain or for shade.

I once envied others who have the electric, automatic awnings, thinking that those awnings were superior to mine -- no more -- I have witnessed and I have read of the many problems and limitations of the automatic awnings.

Hail the manual awning.

Bruce

2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Randu

South Central Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/14 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 ---- I have one manual and one electric and the manual one stays out most of the time and don't make a ton of noise bouncing in a light breeze like the electric one does. Randu

2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison. (Picture is 2014 truck just traded)
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/14 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric awning is nice and I see more & more of them on new rigs, but don't think I would have one. [emoticon]

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Mich F

Plantation, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/14 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nomad297 wrote:

I love the simplicity, versatility and practicality of my run-of-the-mill manual pull-down awning. I love that it comes out when I want it to and it retracts when I want it to with nothing more than the flip of a lever and use of a hooked rod. It never fails me. I can pitch it as much as I please, this way or that way, for rain or for shade.

I once envied others who have the electric, automatic awnings, thinking that those awnings were superior to mine -- no more -- I have witnessed and I have read of the many problems and limitations of the automatic awnings.

Hail the manual awning.

Bruce

While my newest RV has an electric (not an option) awning, I've had a number of RVs with manual awnings, and while not saying one is better than the other, I can state with certainty that you've definitely understated what's involved in extending and retracting a manual awning. [emoticon]
Nothing is simpler than just pushing a button. You can, if you want, pitch it to have one side lower than the other. I hardly ever use an awning anyway, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

* This post was edited 09/03/14 05:29pm by Mich F *

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/14 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the simplicity, versatility and practicality of my run-of-the-mill electric awning. I love that it comes out when I want it to and it retracts when I want it to with nothing more than the flip of a button. It never fails me. I can pitch it as much as I please, this way or that way, for rain or for shade.

nomad297

Alexandria, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/14 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mich F wrote:

I can state with certainty that you've definitely understated what's involved in extending and retracting a manual awning. [emoticon]

Maybe just a little. [emoticon]

But, it sure isn't difficult.

Bruce

nomad297

Alexandria, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/14 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

I love the simplicity, versatility and practicality of my run-of-the-mill electric awning. I love that it comes out when I want it to and it retracts when I want it to with nothing more than the flip of a button. It never fails me. I can pitch it as much as I please, this way or that way, for rain or for shade.

I see what you did. [emoticon]

However, no electric awning will pitch as much or be as reliable as a manual awning. The limitations of the electric awning may please you, but I just couldn't live with the minimal amount of pitch (if any) that all electric awnings allow. Obviously, to each his own.

Bruce

nomad297

Alexandria, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/14 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steeljag wrote:

Lol......those electric awnings sure are a pain. Pushing a button with a finger while holding a beer in the other hand is unexceptable!

.......and having AC to cool off........no way, having to ajust a thermostat, clean a filter, and the noise? it's better to just keep the windows open and hope it doesn't get to hot.

Don't get me started on an electric water heater........when you have a metal bucket and a fire pit......

[emoticon]

Huh?

Bruce

Copper Penny

Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/14 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too must agree, I like my manual awning

Denis, Linda, Jennifer & Monte (Shih-Poo)

2010 Ford F-150 Lariat,6.5'box,4WD,5.4L, Max tow package,3.73 Gears,11,100 tow capacity.
2007 Kodiak 21QS Queen Bed solid rear slide,4000lbs,gvwr 6000lbs
Husky Weight Distribution Hitch.

poncho62

Hanover, Ont, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/14 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about manual vs automatic transmissions?......lol

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I Love My Manual Awning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS