Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Don't have a bucket list, do it now!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Don't have a bucket list, do it now!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/14 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't have a bucket list. A list that you must complete before your time runs out. Most people start their bucket list then wait until they retire to get it all done. Why not just do it, do it now, do it as soon as you are able.

A week ago a good friend of ours passed away. She was a wonderful girl with a loving devoted husband. The two of them enjoyed camping and had many adventures together.
Our friends had done everything right in life and they had their retirement planned out. A life of RVing would be theirs.
This couples dreams were cut short. They had bought a new TT a few years ago that would be their RV until they retired and bought a class A. Now the TT sits with a for sale sign on it.
The loss of our friend has opened our eyes a little wider. We realized that we can't wait for retirement to work on a bucket list. We need to see and do all the things we want to do together now!
So, next time you are sitting by a campfire, listening to a lonely loon calling for his mate, think of our friends husband. He can call for his mate but she will no longer hear his call, she will not answer. If you enjoy a shot of Malibu rum, have a shot and think of another RV'er. A great lady who at the age of 52, lost her chance to fulfill her bucket list.

revump

Deer Park, WA or Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/14 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope ... try to enjoy every day and enjoy where I am and take time to get where I am going ... I would drive by too many great places trying to do my bucket list

Bob

rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/14 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She may have lost her mate, but at on 52 years of age, she has many, many years to fulfill some of her dreams. I was just with a group of single RV'ers age 50 and above that were having the times of their lives. Male and Female.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/14 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rv2go wrote:

She may have lost her mate, but at on 52 years of age, she has many, many years to fulfill some of her dreams. I was just with a group of single RV'ers age 50 and above that were having the times of their lives. Male and Female.
I think you misunderstood the post. The woman is dead.

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/14 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

rv2go wrote:

I think you misunderstood the post. The woman is dead.

My Bad, I did misread the post. thanks.....

Greyghost

Back in AZ for a while

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/14 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We never had a real bucket list until we retired. Having said that, when the kids were young we took them all over this great nation 2 weeks at a time and sometimes on weekends. We've completed all but one thing in our real bucket and we start on that journey Wednesday. Western Canada, Alaska, Glacier and revisit the Tetons. We'll see how much time we have after that. We're allocating 6 months to get it done. When I talk to young folks and they comment that they wish they could make the trip, I tell them to do it now. Don't wait until you're too old or too crippled up to do it. I had triple bypass surgery in December and I'm currently in cardiac rehab and physical therapy for sciatica. When we get back I hope to climb Picket Post Mountain in Superior AZ and go fishing in Gardisky Lake again in the Sierras.

Don't wait. Do it now!!!

Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2007 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD,
Jewel and Clifford Bouvier Des Flandres

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/14 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This rings close to home. My wife was diagnosed with CLL a few months ago. Fortunately it is at the lowest stage and just being monitored is the current course. She could be fine for years or months. There is no promise with this and the dreaded treatments is part of her future

Our plans are to enjoy our retirement traveling together, but due to this I plan to take full advantage of whatever time good Lord gives her. We did Hawaii in December, just went camping this weekend in Frankenmuth, a couple weeks planned in July and a week in Florida in November.

My retirement spending starts now, even though I'm not.

noplace2

roaming

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/14 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My bride and I retired 14 years ago at my tender age of 48 and hers 44. We've been fulltime moving RV'ers starting our 14th year the end of this month. We've traveled from Alaska to Central America and back a few times. We never look back and are happier than most of the people in the workaday world and a majority of the people on the road. We're not rich, we just planned well and live within our means. My life goal at roughly 15 was to retire by 50 and to die a happy man. Goal 1: complete. Goal 2: If it happens tomorrow, mission accomplished.

You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do. - Eleanor Roosevelt

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/14 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

This rings close to home. My wife was diagnosed with CLL a few months ago. Fortunately it is at the lowest stage and just being monitored is the current course. She could be fine for years or months. There is no promise with this and the dreaded treatments is part of her future

Our plans are to enjoy our retirement traveling together, but due to this I plan to take full advantage of whatever time good Lord gives her. We did Hawaii in December, just went camping this weekend in Frankenmuth, a couple weeks planned in July and a week in Florida in November.

My retirement spending starts now, even though I'm not.

My heart goes out to you and your dear wife. Whatever the amount of time you have together it sounds like you are at peace with what is to come. Bless you both.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/14 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on my families history and my GFs family history (even worst) I retired at 50 and 4 yrs. later she retired at 50.......then we hit the road FT.

The FT part ended this year but we did/saw/experience a heck of a lot.

Now we are working on a different part of life.
I just remember what an older gentlemen told me as a kid. He was missing one eye, had one arm and one leg amputated----all from different issues/different times.
He said "Son, they may whittle me up a bit but that doesn't change who I am or what I am going to do & enjoy"

Until I take a dirt nap I am going to continue enjoying life. Why Not!

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Don't have a bucket list, do it now!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts