Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Expectations at RV Parks - Do you adapt?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Expectations at RV Parks - Do you adapt?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
bigdogger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was reading the bad reviews on rvparkreviews.com today and was struck by how some people apparently are unwilling or unable to adjust their expectations based on special circumstances.
On person gave a park the lowest possible score because of guests making noise. Understandable, until you realize they were staying at a park adjacent to Churchill Downs during the Kentucky Derby. The reviewer even said they were there because of the race. Surely most people would understand that the Derby is the biggest party in Kentucky and no one would expect normal quiet hours to prevail that weekend, but not that reviewer.
A second reviewer was upset that the park they were staying in told them they should disconnect their hoses at night due to freezing temperatures. I would consider that to be good advice and welcome news, not these people. The park also unhooked their washing machines in the evening (the reviewer said they were outside) again a prudent move if a freeze was expected. Didn't make a difference to the reviewer, to them freezing temperatures and precautions to make sure damage didn't occur results in the lowest possible score.
I try to put things into perspective and rate accordingly. What do you do?

Larryect

Home

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people just aren't going to be happy, no matter what. Any time I read reviews, I take that into account.

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for the reviews, they're silly, but, the bigger problem is that they're not monitored.

Amazon has a good policy where the makers of products actually read reviews, and respond to them. That keeps the internet trolls at bay.

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigdogger wrote:

... Surely most people would understand that the Derby is the biggest party in Kentucky and no one would expect normal quiet hours to prevail that weekend, but not that reviewer.

Why shouldn't someone expect rules to apply? Was there a sign posted at the entrance saying no quiet hours that weekend?

The problem with that line of thought is that many people will stretch it to cover many more circumstances. Cousin Jenny's birthday party? Rules don't apply. Bachelor party for Harry? Rules don't apply. Favorite team made the playoffs? Rules don't apply.

Anti-flame suit on.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always chuckle at the ones complaining about trees blocking the satellite tv signal or interfering with their 13' tall camper. My God!, trees in a campground? Unthinkable!

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mayo30

Up here in the cold,cold north.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/14 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An old Alberta cowboy once told me"Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope".If you don't like it don't go there,if you don't like it don't stay,not hard to do.

* This post was edited 05/13/14 05:31pm by mayo30 *

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

Why shouldn't someone expect rules to apply? Was there a sign posted at the entrance saying no quiet hours that weekend?

The problem though, is giving a park a "1" because of one thing. If you go there expecting a FHU resort and end up with a flooded BLM style site, that is one thing. But to slam a campground because you thought it was too noisy is quite another.

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2013 Keystone Sprinter 277RLS
States camped, 2014: 15

8iron

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Review sites are great if you take the individual reviews with a grain of salt. There are people who will never be happy and those that rave about something just because they own it, or have been to it. (see the Tow Vehicle forum here). We tend to look for patterns in the general positivity or negativity of reviews for an idea of what goes on.

2011 F250 Lariat FX4
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

AprilWhine

Somewhere west of Laramie

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always read several of the reviews before booking an RV park. I can think of one time a negative review was more informative than several positive ones. The one star review complained that management told them not to ride their motorcycle inside the campground during quiet hours. I said to myself "sounds like my kind of campground."

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2011 Ford Ranger
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman
Pick one

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/14 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

As for the reviews, they're silly, but, the bigger problem is that they're not monitored.

Amazon has a good policy where the makers of products actually read reviews, and respond to them. That keeps the internet trolls at bay.

The RVParkReviews website is in the process of being migrated to a new server with substantially more capabilities. The new user interface will be much more modern and will offer a multitude of new features. I've been told that one of those will be the ability of park owners to make a response to a posted review, as is the case on TripAdvisor.

I'm not sure if all the new features will be available at once when the migration is complete, but over the next year you should see many improvements in an already good website.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Expectations at RV Parks - Do you adapt?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS