Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class B vs. Class C, of same length?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Class B vs. Class C, of same length?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Guysakar

dsfrad

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/14 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Preface: I am not talking about class B vans, but the larger class B. I have included an image of the type I am looking at. Not this exact model, though. Just a reference.

Hi guys, I am planning on mostly going to campsites off the beaten path and am looking at shorter units (22-26 feet) for around $25K.

I am seeing both class C and class B's in this price and length range.

I like the way the class B's look (more sturdy/compact) but the class C's seem to be cheaper $. Plus, the above cab space seems to be wasted in the class B, but does that translate into more MPG (aerodynamics of the wind deflector)?

I am going to be solo camping mostly in places that have no paved roads, and am looking for units with a slide. I will be towing a small trailer and motorcycle, occasionally in the mountains.

Gas mileage is an important factor to me, but overall reliability and maintenance issues are paramount (does one type tend to leak more, need to be sealed more often, etc...)

Do you think I would be happier with a C or B, or equally happier with either?

Side note: I know, condition, etc... is a more important factor, but all of those factors being equal.

Thank you all very much for any help.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/14 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a 20' Pleasure Way, no slide. Pro... easy to manuver, fit and finish excellent, well planned out inside. Now have a 26' Winnebago Aspect w/one slide.. pro..
larger gray/black tanks, little higher clearance, fit/finish nice, basically looks like your picture. More storage, larger refrig. Gas mileage on PW was about 12 mpg, Aspect about 10 mpg. Aspect actually holds the road better.

Just my 2 cents worth.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/14 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you've pictured is a C. Gulfstream started marketing this as a B+, others picked up the term.

It is a C without an overhead bed. Some models are narrower than the widest of C's with the overhead, but those vary in width. Some models are a little lower than C's with basements, but about the same height as C's without basements (e.g. the LazyDaze and many rental models are built low).

A B is built within a van's body, sometimes with width extension. The C/B+ are built as a box on a cab-chassis or cutaway chassis, usually at least seven feet wide and nine feet high (sometimes up to 12 high). It has a whole lot more room inside.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Your pic is _not_ of a class B. It's just a small C with no overcab bunk. A B is a van.

Jim, "My mom told me I could be anyone I wanted to be. Today, that's called 'identity theft.'"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

TOMMY47

MI

View Profile

I would think a small C or larger B would be about equal. If you will be travelling solo, why would you want a slide? More weight and areas to leak. You really don't need that extra room for yourself. I soloed last year in a larger C and found the space plenty for one. I don't think I could find a large enough MH or one with enough slides for 2.

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/14 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When faced with same problem (married couple), ended up with with small class C. Stand up shower and separate toilet. 26 steeps bumper to bumper. Fits most anywhere and we really like it.

Went from large 5th wheel. Which requires you bring what you need and can't just throw what you what in , because you run out of room quick. Size of tanks (water, gray and black) still getting used to them after 5yrs, as tanks are small compared to what we used to have.

5.4 Ford (V-8) average (tank to tank over 5 years) 11 1/2 MPG driving (OK poking along) at 57-60 mph. Highest ever was 11.83 mpg. I think 3.73 rear end (from axle tag info) We don't have a slide and a ton of miles are on it. Matter of fact its an x-rental. A model they don't have in their fleet anymore as they phased them out to make room for their new really small one.

We did get as low as 6 3/4 mpg one time; going up mountain pass with 40 mph winds against us. But overall mileage is in your gas pedal overall.

We saw couple good small one last weekend and both had Canadian plates on them.

Every RV type is a choice and a compromise. Sure do enjoy not pulling around large 5th wheel but sure do miss the room. Can't have both, that I've figured out anyways.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/14 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might look at whats out there on a sprinter chassis ,the fuel mpg will double ,ford/chevy/dodge about 8mpg sprinter 17mpg or better.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/14 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2
That is a class C, no matter what the MFG want to call it
It's built on a cut a way chassis

B's are built into the OEM van body, with or without a raised roof, usually with

tatest wrote:

What you've pictured is a C. Gulfstream started marketing this as a B+, others picked up the term.

It is a C without an overhead bed. Some models are narrower than the widest of C's with the overhead, but those vary in width. Some models are a little lower than C's with basements, but about the same height as C's without basements (e.g. the LazyDaze and many rental models are built low).

A B is built within a van's body, sometimes with width extension. The C/B+ are built as a box on a cab-chassis or cutaway chassis, usually at least seven feet wide and nine feet high (sometimes up to 12 high). It has a whole lot more room inside.

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/14 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pick the one you like the best, which ever has the floor plan and storage you prefer

Names B+ C ,, its a marketing ploy

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/14 03:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't catch the MPG part.

I've put 30,000 miles on a C, average 8.2 MPG. That's tracking all the miles, all the gas. Individual tanks have ranged from 6mpg to 11 mpg, the bigger number needing a tailwind more often than I've seen.

I also drive a E-350 van, now house built on it (what a B really is) and have averaged 16 mpg over 3000 miles. Best tank was 18 mpg, worst 15 mpg. 3000 miles is not much experience, but enough to tell me what to expect. If you buy a low profile B (pop top like Traverse, or Sportmobile will build one) you can expect van mpg. If you want a hogh top conversion, 15-20% less, for that much increase in frontal area. But that's a real B, either a van or a van with hightop cap.

Buying a C, and calling it a B, because some marketing guy said B+, it is still going to get C mpg, and when it comes time to park it, you'l be dealing with 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 width, rather than the "less than 80" that defines a "standard" width vehicle in North America. Running lights vs no running lights, and the width of marked parking spaces will vary. Some places all get marked for Surburbans and crew cab pickups, other places Malibu or Escape are the expected size for which parking gets marked.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Class B vs. Class C, of same length?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS