Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Budget camping for non frequent travellers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Budget camping for non frequent travellers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
abhisheks77

Torrance

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 01:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,
I will doing my first camping in August end in Yellowstone. As per weather websites, it can be 73 (high) and 33 (low). I am not a frequent tripper and I am on budget. I am assuming, I should buy -->
1- Coleman tent - A average tent for 3 person should be ok (we are 2) ?, Around 40-50$. Since, I will be flying, a lightweight should be ok.
2- Sleeping beds - I been to stores and saw 30 F for $ 35 (Coleman). Should it be ok ?
3- Foam Pad - If I take a cheap foam pad, ($ 15), should be ok to stop cold from earth ? Or surely I need to have self inflating air mattress ? (I saw one for 74 $ at Rei store)
4- Gas stove - Here I am confused. I saw a portable, which can fit on short-broad butane cylinder and other one is single burner stove and a sleek cylinder can fit inside it. Does both gives same speed of flow or portable burner will be low flow ?
5- If I am staying near water body or near big grass/plants, I can experience mosquitoes. What should I use ? Any spray to put on tent or any gel to put on body ?
Any help/recommendation will be appreciated.
Thanks

rainy029

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/14 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When considering the size of the tent, don't just think people sleeping in it. You also store your clothing, bathroom items, and other items you do not want to keep outside. I hate running to my car everytime I want something. So all the camping stuff went in the tent or on my site. I've always used air mattresses. These take up alot of room in a tent. We have a 10 person tent and can only get 5 air mattresses in it.

One must have item you forgot to mention is a tarp. A tarp can be laid under a tent for extra protection from the dampness. And over the tent in case of rain.

We did most of our cooking on the fire. But we do have a 2 burner Propane stove that works nicely when needed. I have also seen many campsite with a little charcoal grill sitting on the picnic table for use.

You might also want to look into getting a lantern, cooler, flashlights, chairs, water jug, and a large plastic bin.

For mosquitoes, I find that just keeping a small fire burning helps chase the bugs away. Or the citronella candles burning. I never liked the sprays.

I have never been out west, but here we have something called a first-time camper program run by our state park system and Gander Mountain. They will "rent" you the equipment and teach you how to set up.

1992 25ft Chataeu
2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1L

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shop craigslist!

Aspen Trail 15BH
2003 Chevy 1500 4.8l, 3.42 SOLD (but loved for 11 years)
2013 Ford F150 XLT, SCREW, 4x4, Ecoboost, Max Tow
Yamaha EF2400ishc

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say you will be flying. You may have to consider your weight of equipment. Also since this is your first camping trip...will you be hiking or using a vehicle? If hiking, Have you considered food storage and wildlife? Do not keep any food, bathroom items such as toothpaste in your tent, even clothes worn while cooking. Water is #1 if hiking, are you prepared?
A good length of rope will be needed. Get the best tent you can afford, look at weight, structure against wind, rain and snow. Same goes for sleeping bags, do lots of homework. If you are hiking there are lots of stoves that are small and work great. Some that fit into the palm of your hand and run on a small tin of fuel.
I would suggest visiting a good outfitters shop and ask questions. As suggested there are outfitters near the park that can rent equipment. This may be a good way since you really don't know what you will need.
If buying, for long term buy the best you can. However, the most expensive may not always be the best.

Have fun planning. We camped in a tent for 20 years in all types of weather conditions. We have a TT now but still enjoy our tent. Enjoy!

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps you could rent a gear package near Yellowstone?

one example of a business which does that (I know nothing about this company.)

Another option: Hit a Walmart or other large discount store when you arrive. Buy tent, cooler, stove, etc. Leave it all somewhere in the campground (there is often a place where people can do this) or donate it to a charity in a nearby town when you leave.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

abhisheks77

Torrance

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably, I will not go for renting it, becuase I am 100% sure that once I start camping, I would love it.
I am not much into hiking, short trails are ok. For this trip, I will be flying to Salt Lake City and then pick rental car and head to Yellowstone. Same way, I will return and fly back from Salt lake City.
I am looking at craiglist also, as suggested by tragusa3.

rainy029, will tent not have base polythene, which can save us from dumpness ? And if I choose rainfly tent, will it not save us from rain ?

Any suggestions for my 2nd and 3rd question ? ->

2- Sleeping beds - I been to stores and saw 30 F for $ 35 (Coleman). Should it be ok ?
3- Foam Pad - If I take a cheap foam pad, ($ 15), should be ok to stop cold from earth ? Or surely I need to have self inflating air mattress ? (I saw one for 74 $ at Rei store)

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second the Craigslist recommendation ... worth a look ... usually lots of sleeping bags, tents, etc. Why buy a low quality cheapo sleeping bag when you can buy a used high quality sleeping bag for similar price.

Kevin

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I will be flying

AND

Quote:

Gas stove

Might want to check with your airlines about flying with stove.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tent camped for many years. We camped as low as upper 20s at night.

$30 sleeping bags will likely be fine. Get two that zip together. With the shared body warmth you might even be too warm. In really cold weather I used to wear a beanie type stocking cap at night.

Air mattresses are nice but a PIA and usually develop leaks after 4 or 5 uses. Try the foam for now, later you may want cots instead.

abhisheks77 wrote:

I am not much into hiking, short trails are ok.

Oh my, the best stuff in Yellowstone is in the back country. You don't have to backpack, just day hike. Back country hiking also offers the best opportunities for at least some isolation that you'll never find by sticking to the main attractions in the park. This book is Best Easy Day Hikes in Yellowstone. We have a copy and it has wonderful hikes in it. Many of them are only an hour or less.

If you hike, even short ones, invest in good hiking shoes. you don't need heavy duty hiking boots, but mid-high shoes with good soles (preferably Vibram Soles). Sneakers will kill your feet. We learned that the hard way. Good hiking shoes are $80 and up but they will last many years. My first pair of Merrils were purchased in 2007 and they are still in great shape. I know you're on a budget but this is one area I can safely say you should not cheap out on.

* This post was edited 05/23/14 10:49am by Campfire Time *

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

abhisheks77

Torrance

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/14 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point, I will need to buy shoes too. I can take gas stove in luggage for flight, but will not carry cylinder, which I will buy from destination.
Can foam prevent dampness and cold of soil ?
If self inflating air mattress are not good one (in terms of durability), what else I can look for ? In my last visit to Rei store, they said that normal air mattress will be heavy and may remain cold and Therma-A-rest Prolite SLP should be good. Is it correct ? If somebody can suggest me, I will go to Walmart in evening and have a look at that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Budget camping for non frequent travellers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS