Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Weber Q200 Trash?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Weber Q200 Trash?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
krazymatt

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I have a Weber Q200 that I bought and used for two years while we had our camper. It worked great when we did use it but we sold our whole camping rig in 2011. Last summer I tried using it at home and it wouldn't heat up. So I finally called Weber and ordered a Gas Regulator Valve a couple weeks ago to hopefully use it this summer at home. So after waiting a week and a half I call them and they said it's in stock but they couldn't answer me when it would ship or if it would ever ship so I cancelled my order. Apparently this part is on some sort of shortage because I checked online at a couple of places and it's out of stock. So now it's summer and I'm stuck without a grill. I'm not exactly thrilled about Weber customer service nor the fact that it stopped working after just two years of occasional use. So now if I want to grill I'm stuck with buying a new one but not a Weber. Is my Q200 worth saving? It's taking up room in my garage and I have a cart for it and cover and hose so it's kind of a waste to toss it but it's just a very bulky paper weight with no parts availability. Sorry for my rant but I'm a little more than pissed here. Any thoughts???

On another note, can someone recommend a decent grill for home besides Weber? Thanks.

New Mexico
2008 Forest River Puma 26RLSS
2008 Dodge 2500 SLT Big Horn QC Cummins 4x4 6Spd Auto, Exhaust Brake.
Easy-Lift 1000 WD hitch.
2400IS Yamaha Generator

2oldman

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked Amazon, and the replacement regulator is $100. Hardly worth fixing.

I have a 200 and love it. Hope it doesn't break in 2 years. The regulator on it is much better than cheaper grills.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use ours almost daily and it's served us well for the past 8 years!

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another source for the part, $34. They say that they expect to get them back in stock 7/1/14. They probably are waiting on a production run. Grill Parts

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

Corkey05

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/14 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a shot, but it may not be the regulator.

Mine was the same and after inspection I discovered all the holes in the burner tube where crusted over and most completely closed. I used a piece of wire to clean the holes (LOTS of holes!) and it was like new.

I now carry a set of welding torch tip cleaners and clean the holes every spring and around mid-summer.

2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

krazymatt

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the ideas guys. Last summer I completely disassembled the grill and cleaned everything. Took off the burner tube the regulator and gave it a good once over cleaning and inspection. Everything looked okay. I suppose I'll keep it around to see if I can find the regulator for $35 at some point incase I ever get another RV but forget about waiting all summer to get it as far as using it anytime soon so I'll be shopping for a new home grill NOT A WEBER though. I suppose if I don't find the part I guess $100 per summer wasn't that bad of an investment but not so great either on something that's supposed to be a good product. At least I quickly learned their customer service sucks so as to steer clear of them. LOL Thanks....

AK49er

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did it work ok after you took it apart and cleaned it? Looking ok doesn't always mean working ok. It should last more than 2 years with only occasional use.

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've shared this with a few friends that had similar problems with Weber grills. States the correct procedure for operating a Weber grill:

From Weber:

"Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to hear your grill is giving you problems. There could be several issues that could cause this sort of problem. Let's try to fix the problem with the follow suggestions. Do you preheat the grill with the lid up or down? If you grill with the lid down there is a possibility that you have inadvertently triggered the safety device in the adapter hose. This safety device is designed to detect leaks. If the grill is leaking, it will restrict gas flow to prevent a fire. When the gas is restricted, the grill will only reach about 250 degrees. This safety device can be inadvertently triggered if the grill is turned on too quickly.

To reset the gas safety device:
Open the barbecue lid.
1. Close the LP tank valve.
2. Turn your burner control knob to the OFF position.
3. Wait at least 5 minutes if the barbecue had been lit, then
4. Disconnect the gas source
5. Turn your burner control knob to the HIGH position.
6. Wait at least 2 minutes, and then turn the burner control knob to the OFF position.
7. Re-connect the gas source

The grill was designed for the small, disposable tanks. If you choose to use an adapter hose for the larger propane tanks, there are some simple rules to follow to ensure that the grill works properly. Please follow this procedure every time you turn the grill on and off.

Re-lighting the barbecue:
1. Open the barbecue lid.
2. Open the LP tank valve all the way and wait 1 minute.
3. With the lid open, turn the burner control knob to the HIGH position.
4. Ignite the grill by pushing the crossover ignition button.
5. Close the barbecue lid.
6. The barbecue should reach 500 to 550 degrees in 10-15 minutes.

When you are done grilling:
1. Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
2. Turn off the LP tank valve last. The tank should be turned off after EVERY grill use.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are using a bulk tank, contaminates in the gas/tank can fowl up the regulator. Get a Mr. Heater filter and put it in line.
Filter I have one on both my Q200 and Q100.

Also, try turning on the gas valve on the bulk tank a few minutes before lighting the grill. The anti-leak device in the tank valve and the grill have to equalize pressure. It can cause a low flame on the grill. I believe Weber has that documented on their website under FAQ.

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slow down kids...... That regulator can be swapped with any garden variety one from home depot or Walmart. Mine died at Quartzsite and i went to the hardware store and replaced it. iIRC there was a cheap brass adapter to go with it as well. The whole thing was under $20

Edit bad pad spelling

* This post was edited 05/30/14 07:35pm by SCVJeff *

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Weber Q200 Trash?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts