Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Best Tent On A Budget?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Best Tent On A Budget?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
reptar7

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/14 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that if you buy older tents you can get a good deal. What do you guys think of this one: http://www.campingquartermaster.us/tents........r-1-tent-for-2014-is-the-kelty-salida-2/

And also, is there a better tent at a similar price you would recommend?

* This post was edited 07/10/14 11:27am by reptar7 *

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/14 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had to go to the Amazon link to see the price. $145.00 seems high for a two man tent. There's really nothing at all special about it except perhaps the Kelty label. Materials are no different from most other similar-sized tents on the market, and it's only a two man.

My opinion is that you can get more tent for less money.

Per other tents:

We have four or five that we've owned for years so can't tell you much about current models. Our two favorites are a couple of old canvas Hilary's from Sears. Good ol' standy-uppy cabin tents!

In the two-man size range, we have a nice little "instant set" nylon that we bought about ten years ago. We still use that one even when we travel with the trailer- it's great easy outside storage for gear when camped.Dunno if they even make them anymore, but it's super easy to set up. Had an attached frame that you sort of shook out and popped the joints on.

Can't find that particular model, but the Youtube video at this link shows one very much like it being set up. Easy/quick as pie!

* This post was last edited 06/06/14 05:08pm by Francesca Knowles *   View edit history

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/14 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd look at LLBean, Cabelas, Rei, etc.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/14 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eureka! has a line called Tetragon that has a better coverage in the fly and a leg up on the "big box" tents you get at department stores. Avoid used tents that already have UV damage and stick with new-with-tags deals on Ebay to save 60% off MSRP. You can get $200 Marmot top-shelf 2-man tents for under $100, for example.

Almot

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to suggest when the key word is "budget".

I like my MSR Hubba Hubba, with 2 doors (a big plus), aluminum frame, and full-size fly (also with 2 doors). Big brands (including MSR I think) have lifetime warranty and people replaced their fly for free after many years. But Hubba Hubba will cost you at least $250. And optional footprint another $40. Yes, you can cut to size a piece of tarp for footprint, but this isn't the same, trust me.

Mostly, you get what you pay for. If you can live without 2nd door (adds A LOT of comfort), there is more to chose from. If you don't need a full fly (recommended in most climates), there is more choice again. If you don't care how bulky or heavy it is, then there is more choice again. Stay away from fiberglass frames, and from fly-less single-wall tents. As others noted, stay away from used tents. There are often good deals in stores on last year models when they release a new model. As to the Ebay - I've lost confidence in them long time ago, there can be factory rejects there and/or display models with tags, this isn't something that I would like.

Also, you have to decide how much mesh you need. My HH is almost all mesh, only floor and small piece of roof are fabric. More mesh = more ventilation, but also more drafts when you don't want them. 2nd door adds ventilation, so when it's not terribly hot you can get away with 2 doors and less mesh than in HH.

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/14 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alps Mountaineering Tents are the best Value that I have found .
They are not the cheapest tents .
But they are the cheapest tents that are well made .
Go to Overstock dot com after you completely peruse the Alps Mountaineering site .
I think the best buy is the Alps Mountaineering Meramac 5 ZF FG tent for $ 168 on overstock.
it is an 8' x 10 '
It has a heavier zipper and floor , has 6 foot height , and has a significant rain canopy .
go here :
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/ALPS-Mountaineering-Meramac-5-ZF-FG-Tent/3930892/product.html?refccid=SPEVCK6RQINKHD2JNBLCLNSYBY&searchidx=0

reptar7

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/14 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the responses. A lot of the tents you all have recommended are a little more expensive (like $200-$250) whereas the Salida 2 is only $145. The Salida also seems to be reviewed the best and is from Kelty, a very trusted brand.

The Alp Mountaineering Meramac seems like a similar tent, but some of the reviews really knock it for having cheap poles that break easily and it is more expensive to boot.

Anyone else have any input? I'm still leaning towards this one: http://www.campingquartermaster.us/tents.........r-1-tent-for-2014-is-the-kelty-salida-2

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/14 12:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For $ 131 at overstock dot com
you can get a meramac 5
8' x 10 ' with a 6 foot height .
alps mountaineeing

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/14 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New-with-tags tents off Ebay, we've bought 3 of them in 2-man, 3-man, and 6 man. Because of high production numbers, all three were Sierra Designs tents. Our Eureka! was a direct-buy purchase at a clearance sale online. A $250 quality tent at 60% off means $100.00 for a high-end tent. Just research what quality means in tent design, and follow the auctions.

mike378

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/14 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all, "budget" should be considered in light of how often you will use the tent. If it's often, you should consider paying a bit more. Also, in what type of location will you be using it? How important will it be to keep out wind, rain, and/or mosquitoes? Do you want a tent you can stand up in or at least sit in, or is it enough just to be able to sleep in it?

If cost is very important, some of the big department stores, or camping/surplus stores sometimes have cheap ones, not the best, but they may be good enough. Sometimes even an old military canvas tent will be good (heavier than nylon so not ideal if you carry it a logn distance.) Often the experience of camping is so wonderful that it negates the small discomfort of an inadequate tent. See this example of camping at Linton Hall Military School: Linton Hall School

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Best Tent On A Budget?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS