Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Wal Mart parking?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Wal Mart parking?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Keith Haw

Casa Grande, Az.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope this is the right forum.

I have a question about WM camping. I've seen "The ABC's of Wal Mart Camping" and it said never open slider. Is that a fairly solid rule? Reason I ask is, in our current TT, the restroom isn't usable without the slide out. Never thought about that when we were looking at the TT and it's to late now to do anything about it.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will be okay opening your slide. Just don't go into full camping mode. Grill, chairs, toys, etc..

Try to keep as low a profile as possible and park at an out of the way location.

Ask the manager or someone in authority at WalMart if you are allowed to overnight.
I ask even if there are several RV's in the lot.

Enjoy your travels.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always roll out 2 of the 3

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen it done all the time, park along an edge and you can use slides on that side without disturbing anyone. Happy Camping!!!

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I open our bedroom slide when spending the night at Wal-Mart. It doesn't have to be open, but it's roomier when it is. I also run the Generator in the summer to run the AC. If I'm at a FlyingJ or other truck stop with actual parking spots, I don't open slides.

-Michael

Michael Girardo :: michael@ecxc.com
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer
Four Green Feet

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/14 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We open our bedroom slide but not our living room slide. And if possible we try to have the slide open to the inside of the parking spaces, not towards the aisle.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on the way down to Yuma last fall we stopped in Twin Falls Id ans asked if it was OK to stay over night. Manger was very nice and sasid OK. we found a place way in the back, we were the first ones there so we got to pick the best spot. like others I have to open the slides to move in my TT and we didn't get much sleep that night. others had the same Idea we had and they and some kid with a very loud exhaust pipe kept us awake most of the night. I think this kid made it his job to drive the parking lot all night long as fast as he could. That was the only time we stayed in a Wal Mart. we found camp grounds after that by using our GPS

Keith Haw

Casa Grande, Az.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the replies. We have been RV'ers a long time but, never in a unit that required the slide be out. In the class A we never opened the slide unless we were setting up and the Jayco TT didn't have one. But sense my dad passed last year we are trying to travel more, which means more overnights en route.

mgirardo, you just answered my second question about running the generator at night while there. Even though it's always in the back of my TV with a bed topper, it still does make a little noise. And yes, the topper is closed and vented so the genny doesn't build up exhaust fumes or heat in there.

Thanks everyone.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never HEARD of anyone actually "camping" at walmart. See no reason though to have any problems with slides since you're probably already taking up a half dozen parking spots, what's a couple more going to hurt. Most don't camp there, just park until time to hit the road again but there are ALWAYS going to be some who abuse anything free.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

CT_WANDERER

E. Lyme, CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/14 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I open my slides, I try to put them over a curb or by a light pole.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Wal Mart parking?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS