Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Splitting Firewood.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Splitting Firewood.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Caveman Charlie

Storden, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/14 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a story I wrote up about my firewood splitting experience. I was splitting the wood to go camping with so, I believe this makes the story camping related. Before anybody points out that you are not suppose to move wood my local parks say it's OK as long as you don't bring the wood from more then 40 miles away. A couple of the parks I frequent don't even sell firewood so bringing it in is the only option if you want to have a wood campfire. I posted the fallowing story on my facebook site and my friends got a kick out of it. Here it is:

I was out splitting wood tonight. By hand ! I figure I spend at least 400 bucks a year on fire wood just for fires at the park! I got some free wood but, it needed to be split. I borrowed a splitting wedge from a friend. (He doesn’t know it yet but, I will tell him and give it back) A splitting wedge is just what it sounds like. It’s just a wedge you hammer into the piece of wood to make it split into smaller pieces. I bought an 8 pound sledge hammer. I thought about the 5 pound hammer but, decided that I’m a real man, and that the 8 pound hammer would be better. (They had ones bigger then that but, I’m not that silly) After getting home I went at it. I took my shirt off and worked on my manly physique. That way some beautiful rich young woman will fall in love with me some day and give me all her money. I slung the hammer in long crushing blows. (Well in my mind’s eye I did anyway. In reality it took me quite a while to pound the wedge into the pieces. I also impressed myself by not managing get hurt. ) I got the wood all split up and into a pile ready for camping. It only took me three hours and now I have enough wood for,,,, 2 days of camping. The sledge hammer cost more then what it would have to just go buy 2 days’ worth of fire wood. Ooooo, my arms hurt now. I need to go take an ibuprofen. What was I thinking?

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/14 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've done the sledge and wedge deal...yes a whole lotta fun!? But if you split a lot of wood annually...buy a gas powered log splitter. It sure saves the trauma to the body.

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/14 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea of using the sledge hammer and a wedge as I get to sit in the chair while I am doing it... I just got a great big pile of from a neighbors cut down tree and will be starting splitting soon.

I'm out there with my good ole fresh ground bean coffee and my country music on the radio working away like I had good sense at 73 years old now...

We too can bring in our own fire wood at our local camp ground. The woods behind my house is almost the same woods they cut up firewood from and sell for 50 cents a cut-up log.

Since we never leave when most of the other campers leave we usually end up with everyones left over fire wood. Most of the time the campground clean-up crew brings it to us haha... Being a regular has its bennies I reckon... They like my fresh ground bean coffee too...

When we leave and have left over firewood we always stack it up in plain view out front for anyone to take.

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/14 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An eight pound splitting maul may be a better choice. I split/have split a lot of firewood. Ease of splitting is directly related to species and condition of wood.

Have you found any beautiful rich young women with a bottle of liniment in hand, lol?

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/14 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a good excuse to sit there in the shade and crack a few cold ones. Hun im going to split wood with this 12 pack.

Where I Am Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W ARRL VE FT DX2000

Steve and Joy
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35 LKTS
2014 Ford F 350 Lariat Dually Camper Package
Cooper . . . The Aussie-Doodle, Yogi . . . The Yorkie, Cookie . . . The Chiuaiua

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/14 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Posted twice sorry

stetwood

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/14 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a 14 pound maul for splitting with the wedges(I have several), you learn quickly that all you need to do is to drop the maul. And some wood is easier than others. Watch out also for the crotches. I split my wood for my shop this way, but then I also get a load or two of end cuts from a wood kiln company.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/14 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sowego wrote:

We've done the sledge and wedge deal...yes a whole lotta fun!? But if you split a lot of wood annually...buy a gas powered log splitter. It sure saves the trauma to the body.

With respect: If you buy a gas powered splitter, and I think they are cool, how long would it take to recoup your investment versus, just buying the wood outright? I would suspect you would have to split a LOT of wood.

Especially if you do not have a source for free wood and have to buy wood to split.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

restlesswind

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/14 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has the "rich,beautifull young woman" shown up yet?

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Caveman Charlie

Storden, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/14 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately no rich, beautiful, young, woman; or any other sort of woman for that reason ;has showed up yet. I have friends that burn wood to heat there homes. (They always have the warmest houses.) They own a wood splitter but, for my little pile it wasn't worth getting it out. To tell you the truth I enjoyed it. I wish I had more to split and did a little each day. Cheaper then a membership to a gym.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Splitting Firewood.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS