Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Deciding on sleep bags. Help plz.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Deciding on sleep bags. Help plz.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
bsparks276

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/14 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
I am looking for sleep bags. Starting my first camping in coupe of weeks. Mostly I will be doing camping in minumum 40 F. I visited Sport Authority today and browse few alpine Design Bags. Those are not expensive and should fit in budget. I feel like mummy bags may keep me sleep with bounded feet, so ractangular and hybrid looks more preferable to me. I will be doing car camping, still do not want to carry much weight, just in case if I need to fly in future.
I am trying to read and understand technical specifications of three different bags, but not able to decide, which one will suite me better. Please help me to pick from Alpine_30F_3_in_1 or Alpine_Design_20_F or Alpine_30_F_Hybrid

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/14 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Earlier sleeping bag topic.......might help in decision LINK

Personally....I like a 'mummy bag' something about being all wrapped up....guess it stems from infancy and swaddling blanket

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

SAR Tracker

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/14 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the one with the draft tube.

then get a good foam pad. Inflatable pads are nice and cushy, but invariably spring a leak overnight. The simple 1/2" thick blue pads are relatively cheap, and don't leak. I've slept on/in snow with a 40F bag and a foam pad, and was very comfy.

Car camping - don't fret about the temp rating on the bag - you can always layer on more clothes in the bag.

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

bsparks276

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/14 12:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit, I just gone thorugh the link you gave. It was helpful discussion. I have not used mummy bag, but its looks give me impression that it will bound my feet

SAR Tracker, I already have a air-mattress (from Coleman). My budget is around 60 $. Will I get something, which is not really heavy ? From the bags which I mentioned, "ALPINE DESIGN 30-Degree Mesa Hybrid Rec Bag" is having draft tube as per its specifications.

* This post was edited 06/10/14 12:21am by bsparks276 *

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/14 03:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SAR Tracker wrote:

Get the one with the draft tube.

then get a good foam pad. Inflatable pads are nice and cushy, but invariably spring a leak overnight. The simple 1/2" thick blue pads are relatively cheap, and don't leak. I've slept on/in snow with a 40F bag and a foam pad, and was very comfy.

Car camping - don't fret about the temp rating on the bag - you can always layer on more clothes in the bag.

In my many years of camping with the Boy Scouts, I found I really liked the self inflating sleeping pads. They roll up tight, and are basically foam that expands when you open the air valve. I never had one leak.

Texasfour

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/14 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Visit a local REI store and they can help guide you for the right bag

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/14 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check on the size of the bags rolled up for travel. Some bags can take up a lot of space while others compress down to the size of a football. Also I would recommend a Therm-A-Rest self inflating pad.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/14 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the sleeping bag you can zip two together and make a big sleeping bag.

We used them more like bed covers then actual zip up types when tent camping.

Our three room tent also had enough room for the portable beds up off the floor where you slipped in an air mattress. Those were great up off the floor...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

bsparks276

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/14 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. Now I begin to suspect comfortness of air-mattress (I have not used that till now). Will self inflating pads give me more comfort ? I am not doing backpacking and I will not be going in below freezing temprature. If I choose to go with self inflating pad in budget, I can see "ALPINE DESIGN X-Large Self-Inflating Air Pad". It is 39$ with 2 inch depth, here is Link. Good enough ?

Now back to sleeping bags. Seems like the bags which I mentioned are not used by anyone here. May be, I can go to store again and ask them to open and show it to me.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/14 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsparks276 wrote:

I will be doing car camping, still do not want to carry much weight, just in case if I need to fly in future.
I am trying to read and understand technical specifications of three different bags, but not able to decide, which one will suite me better. Please help me to pick from Alpine_30F_3_in_1 or Alpine_Design_20_F or Alpine_30_F_Hybrid

I don't see weight listed in any of them, and I don't like any of them. Go to REI, talk to people, and try it on - put some pad on the floor and get in. It's better to have a draft tube AND a zipper in the foot box (in this case it should also have a draft tube along this zipper). Draft tube is just a flap covering zipper, to stop drafts. Sometimes there are brand names discounted on last year models, though more often in online stores than in REI, this is how I bought my Kelty for $30.

#1: Pro: removable fleece liner. Con: no draft tube and integrated sleeping mat, it's better to have mat separate.

#2: Con: Rectangular. Could be seeping cold around the shoulders, or too hot in temps above 40F. For most people 20F rated bag is warm enough until 30-25F, but it will be too hot in 60F unless it has a full-length zipper, and then it's more expensive.

#3: Con: integrated mat, no removable liner.

None of those 3 is a mummy, #1 and #3 are hybrids, wider than mummy and narrower than rectangular. #2 looks almost rectangular.

Removable liner is a nice thing, but you can live without it for a while. You can buy liner later, there are some in REI and cheaper in Walmart, something I didn't like about WM liners, forgot what. Liner adds comfort and warmth, and you can wash it so you don't need to wash the bag often.

You will likely have to buy a pillow or self-inflatable Trail Seat as a pillow. Also can be done later, put your jacket for pillow for now.

Get some bag in a hybrid shape, and a blue foam, and - preferably - also a self-inflated pad. Some people are comfortable on foam alone, especially if it's an egg-crate profile, so maybe you won't need self-inflated pad. Hard to tell.

The difference between "air mattress" and self-inflated. The latter has springy foam inside (this is how it inflates itself), and this foam adds comfort and also serves as the last resort if it deflates due to leak. Good brand like Thermarest won't leak for many years, but you should protect it from punctures, that's why - foam pad underneath. Self-inflatable Chinese knock-offs don't last long, after a few years they develop leaks on seams or right through fabric, don't waste your money.

You might also have to buy Slip-Not straps to keep the bag from rolling off the pad, especially from Thermarest, they are slippery. I think they have it in REI. I'm also using it on Trail Seat (aka pillow) to keep it on the mat, glued small loops to the seat for that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Deciding on sleep bags. Help plz.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS